C-flex DOES NOT equal EPR

CPAP, BiPAP, and other sleep systems

Moderators: SCNVsleep, labman2

C-flex DOES NOT equal EPR

Postby lil_miss_sleeptech » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:48 pm

Recently, I've been having an issue with requesting specific comfort features (i.e. C-flex or EPR), and DME companies doing the opposite. When I call to have this corrected, I'm told "they're basically the same thing, so it doesn't matter."

Like hell it doesn't matter. Switch out their blasted machine and stop being lazy about it!

C-flex is FLOW-based. Shallow breathers get "shallower" relief. Deeper breathers get "deeper" relief.

EPR= "poor man's bilevel" :wink: The machine senses expiration and drops the actual pressure setting by 1, 2, or 3 cm h20, no matter how deep or shallow the patient's breathing is.

How is it that respiratory therapists, who should know this stuff better than me, don't understand that? I'm not saying it's every DME, or every RT. But, really? It's apples and oranges!

Does anyone happen to know of an article that highlights these differences? I did some searching on Google and Binary to no avail. It is so frustrating to see a patient go home with a Respironics machine, saying it feels nothing like when they were in the lab and it's still hard to exhale!
lil_miss_sleeptech

Postby respbarb » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:00 pm

So you are saying that C-Flex is superior to EPR?

And that patient's complain about getting a Respironic's machine?

But C-Flex is Respironics and EPR is Resmed.

Have you tried scripting?
respbarb

Postby lil_miss_sleeptech » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:54 pm

I have a personal preference for EPR, but I am by no means saying it is superior. I have just personally seen more positive results with the patients on EPR vs. CFLEX. My problem lies in someone telling me they are identical when they are not.

Respbarb, I've had it happen both ways, where the pt is ordered with Cflex and they get EPR, and vice-versa. They don't do the same thing, so they are not getting the comfort feature that has been specifically ordered.

I'll give an example: A patient is ordered to have EPR. They get Cflex instead. They are a shallow breather, so they don't really notice much of a difference between inhalation and exhalation as they did with EPR (which actually drops the pressure settings vs. just adjusting flow), and therefore, CPAP has now become much more uncomfortable for them (this scenario has actually happened with a patient of mine). They get on EPR, and the difference is night and day for that patient.

It's just frustrating, that's all!
lil_miss_sleeptech

Postby lil_miss_sleeptech » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:58 pm

Respbarb, when you say scripting, do you mean specifying the comfort feature on the Rx, or something else? We do specify on our order sheet if it's Cflex or EPR, and also to NOT add comfort features unless they are specified.
lil_miss_sleeptech

Return to Other Equipment