CPAP, BiPAP, and other sleep systems

Moderators: SCNVsleep, labman2

Postby slowdavesleep » Tue May 25, 2010 11:42 pm

BTW thanks for the insight on the nonins. The rep showed us one
today.
slowdavesleep

trans Q

Postby goudasleep » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:45 am

Anybody using transcutaneous ET CO2? I did a search, all I'm finding is canula capnography. Call me a noob, any help, links, comparisons brands, would be appreciated.
goudasleep

Answering my own question

Postby goudasleep » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:01 am

I looked a little harder and found radiometer.com with tQ machines.
goudasleep

Postby somnonaut » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:32 am

somnonaut

Postby somnonaut » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:33 am

Sorry thought I saw someone looking for TCO2.
somnonaut

Postby somnonaut » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:37 am

Do techs do THIS anymore?
I thought this went out in like Y2K.
http://www.sentec.ch/products/accessori ... -univ.html
"Sleep lab technicians simply attach the open wires to the required plugs for their particular PSG-system"
somnonaut

Postby linuxgeek » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:59 pm

I still do that, but not very often.

Which reminds me, I have a bunch of CAT-5 RJ45 to 4 1/8" plugs to make.
linuxgeek

Postby labman2 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:24 pm

somnonaut wrote:Do techs do THIS anymore?
I thought this went out in like Y2K.
http://www.sentec.ch/products/accessori ... -univ.html
"Sleep lab technicians simply attach the open wires to the required plugs for their particular PSG-system"

Didnt a certain Tom M use a set up like this to do parrellell testing of the old grass machine to a PC sleep sysyem?
labman2

Postby somnonaut » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:40 pm

I just mean taking a device with tinned leads and actually knowing where to attach the tinned leads and more so, actually getting the leads attached to said appropriate interface and then having said skills to introduce said new signal into the PSG recording and setting up the signal/channel/filtering/settings and calibrating it so that the PSG can actually record it.

Now, let me think... :-k Wasn' there a time where those who wanted to know if they were proficient in this thing called Polysomnography would actually be required to PERFORM all of said steps in front of a person who knew how to perform all of said steps already.
What do they call that? Hmmm... I forget, can someone remind me?
somnonaut

Postby linuxgeek » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:36 pm

somnonaut wrote:I just mean taking a device with tinned leads and actually knowing where to attach the tinned leads and more so, actually getting the leads attached to said appropriate interface and then having said skills to introduce said new signal into the PSG recording and setting up the signal/channel/filtering/settings and calibrating it so that the PSG can actually record it.

Now, let me think... :-k Wasn' there a time where those who wanted to know if they were proficient in this thing called Polysomnography would actually be required to PERFORM all of said steps in front of a person who knew how to perform all of said steps already.
What do they call that? Hmmm... I forget, can someone remind me?

You said it! :)
linuxgeek

Postby goudasleep » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:09 am

I spent most of last night reading up on capnography. When I did the first post, I didn't realize that "transcutaneous EtCO2" was putting two different measuring methods together. I don't want to be a respiratory therapist, but there is so much in that field I should know.
goudasleep

Postby linuxgeek » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:51 pm

What do you mean by "two different measuring methods together"?
linuxgeek

reply to Linuxgeek

Postby goudasleep » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:50 am

As I understand it (vaguely) EtCo2 monitoring, is the amount of CO2 in a patient exhaled breath. Hence "End Tidal" Transcutaneous CO2 is an emission, with a slower rate of change. So though they are both measuring arterial blood gas, they are doing it in very different ways. That is my own understanding, I am not quoting anyone or anything, please any and all, correct me on this, give me insight. My point in my earlier comment was, to say "Transcutaneous EtCO2" was to state that the two are the same thing, but they are no.
goudasleep

Re: reply to Linuxgeek

Postby linuxgeek » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:41 pm

goudasleep wrote:As I understand it (vaguely) EtCo2 monitoring, is the amount of CO2 in a patient exhaled breath. Hence "End Tidal" Transcutaneous CO2 is an emission, with a slower rate of change. So though they are both measuring arterial blood gas, they are doing it in very different ways. That is my own understanding, I am not quoting anyone or anything, please any and all, correct me on this, give me insight. My point in my earlier comment was, to say "Transcutaneous EtCO2" was to state that the two are the same thing, but they are no.

EtCO2 = End-Tidal CO2 (from exhaled air)
TcCO2 = Transcutaneous CO2 (thru the skin)

End-tidal CO2 will be much more sensitive and can track breath-to-breath changes. With a couple of major caveats. It will lose accuracy with changes in tidal volume or rapid respiratory rates, and in a system that introduces other gas mixtures (ie O2, CPAP) that dillute the patient's exhaled air.

TcCO2 is much slower as it takes time to get a reading as the CO2 permeates thru the skin, and you won't see any breath-to-breath changes with this method. It is prone to have some errors with placement and anything that changes the permeability of the skin. A bit of a fudge factor is also attempted to compensate for the CO2 that the skin organ also produces. There is no End-Tidal measure of transcutaneous CO2 since it can't detect any changes in concentration at the end of a breath.
linuxgeek

Postby goudasleep » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:04 am

Yes, thank you, that was the general understanding I have reached. If a lab has one system, it will (almost) always be EtCO2, if they are doing infant PAP, or I guess have a large budget, then they would also have the TcCO2. I'm going to buy a respiratory book or two, I should have more depth on the topic.
goudasleep

PreviousNext

Return to Other Equipment