Cloth CPAP Mask

CPAP, BiPAP, and other sleep systems

Moderators: SCNVsleep, labman2

SleepWeaver cloth nasal mask by Circadiance

Postby sleepikat » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:15 am

Are people using this and doing well with it? I am thinking about ordering a display and sample for our sleep center. In the past I have only used it on one patient, a gentleman who was extremely allergic to pretty much every material known to man that is in most CPAP masks. He did well and it didn't break him out. The leak was a bit high but he needed bilevel anyway and once we switched over to that, he was fine. However, I later learned he became non-compliant and surrendered his machine when he didn't meet Medicare requirements. Opinions? Experiences? Thanks!
sleepikat

Postby somnonaut » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:29 pm

My personal experience and confirmed by other users in my CPAP support group is the interface is unusable. As the tube puts even the slightest resistance the mask folds and effectively occludes the flow.
Waste of time. For allergic reactions you are better off using foam or cloth standard mask coverings that are available.
somnonaut

Thanks for letting me know.

Postby sleepikat » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:50 pm

Thank you for your response. That one isolated experience I had was such a mess in so many ways that I hated to judge the mask on it. I've had patients with allergic reactions before, but this fellow actually broke out in huge running blisters after wearing a Comfort Gel nasal mask for about 30 minutes. It took a couple of weeks for him to heal. I felt awful! (Of course he had checked "None" under allergic reactions/conditions on his intake sheet!) His referring physician had heard about the SleepWeaver masks and requested we get one for him. We fought a high leak all night long, but between the man's panic disorder, claustrophobia and a myriad of other problems, it was hard to tell whether the primary cause of the leak was the mask or everything else going on that night! Now here lately we have had a couple of patients asking about the SleepWeaver, probably because a nearby sleep center uses them. I would be really interested to know what their patients' compliance tracking data shows after a couple of months as regards to leaks. That lab does not set up DME but we do. I am going to hold off on this for now. It is a potential headache for both sleeptechs and respiratory therapists, not to mention the patients. Thanks again.
sleepikat

Previous

Return to Other Equipment