Respironics C-Flex vs ResMed EPR

CPAP, BiPAP, and other sleep systems

Moderators: SCNVsleep, labman2

Respironics C-Flex vs ResMed EPR

Postby linuxgeek » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:02 pm

I was looking thru the ResMed EasyCare Tx Help Menu, and saw some graphs that were not what I was expecting. It seems that EPR is substantially less pressure than C-Flex, if some of these graphs are true.

EPR is at its lowest at end-exhale, which is not what I was expecting. To me this seems problematic, as it starts to be an apple-to-oranges comparison.

C-Flex

C-Flex+
Attachments
eprGroup.jpg
EPR Examples
eprGroup.jpg (143.07 KiB) Viewed 9570 times
linuxgeek

Postby linuxgeek » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:13 pm

I think that C-Flex+ is doing a similar thing as EPR Inhale, and never reaching set pressure.

Fortunately, you can still do C-Flex, and turn off C-Flex+.

Although with ResMed, I think you are always doing EPR Inhale now. It's just either Medium or Fast. I don't think you can turn it off. At least you can't turn it off on the clinical unit AFAICT.

It doesn't seem like you can do a comparison with CPAP anymore with these settings, cause they are never delivering set pressure. It's always lower. I'm sure that these settings are more comfortable, but I'm also sure that a CPAP of 7 is more comfortable than 10 when you are awake.
linuxgeek

Postby Rocklandish » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:39 am

Linux could you explain this in a little more detail please.
Rocklandish

Postby somnonaut » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:00 pm

LG,
"Whatchu talkin bout Willis?"
Attachments
EPR off.jpg
EPR off.jpg (12.09 KiB) Viewed 9542 times
somnonaut

New product

Postby labman2 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:51 pm

Here is the latest offering I have seen from Respironics...

The auto IQ- it is auto for up to 30 days and then is a CPAP....

You can use all 30 days up front-or save the 30 days balance of time for using when a patients conditions or needs change they say.

anyway... just adding for your tech knowledge base in case you hear about it from someone...

http://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/respir ... utoiq.html
labman2

Postby linuxgeek » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:30 pm

Interesting.

Thx for the heads up.

I wonder if it can be put back into its initial state of being an auto-CPAP for 30 days? And if it can be done thru the clinical menu.
linuxgeek

Postby linuxgeek » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:33 pm

Says only "coming soon" on respironics site, but I see a lot of vendors with plenty of info on it.
linuxgeek

fyi

Postby labman2 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:10 pm

yes- linux- I was only tipped off to it from Mike at sleepguide.com as he had asked about it to the respironics rep at their NY Awake meeting last week and said the Respironics rep was surprised he knew about it as they were just rolling it out :D

So I did a google search and could only find vendors that were willing to "fess up" with some info so far. :wink:

BTW- our pal Rock has some part in the sleepguide.com site and there are some interesting discussions on the site.

I learned of Dr. Steven Parks free teleconference from that site also- and listened to it last night at home-good info! Check it out!

We should be proud of our binary buddy Mr. Rocklandish! :wink: :lol:
labman2

Postby linuxgeek » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:14 am

I sent an email out to the docs. Apparently Respironics already in-serviced on it, I just missed it.
linuxgeek

Postby oldgrowth » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:54 pm

Regarding Res Med EPR. When we use Res Med CPAP with EPR, what is the effective presure. My understanding is that if I run Res Med CPAP at 10 cmw with EPR of 3, the pressure is rising on inhale to 10 cmw, and then dropping on exhale to 7 cmw until the next breath triggers the rise to 10 cmw.

Then, at this pressure (CPAP 10, EPR 3), if all obstructive events resolve in REM/Supine sleep, do I know that the pressure needed to keep the airway open is 7 cmw?

If CPAP with EPR is "bilevel:, then is the CPAP pressure minus the EPR setting (10-3) analagous, or the same as, an EPAP pressure. And is not a successful EPAP pressure the pressure required to hold the airway open?

This above I what I understand. What I really want to ask is, "is this right?". Is it not this simple. Is there more to it, or is this wrong.

I await your help.
oldgrowth

Postby somnonaut » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:30 am

I have been instructed, and the documentation alludes to, EPR being a DROP in initial expiratory pressure (EPAP), but EPAP WOULD return to the "CPAP" level after this brief (300ms or so) said drop.
somnonaut

Postby linuxgeek » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:14 am

Nope, that's not even close. That's why I started this thread.

Unfortunately the resmed pic must've moved locations cause it doesn't show up anymore.

Notice that the CPAP setting NEVER is reached during exhalation, only during inhalation part-way in. It's worse with the default "Medium" setting.

I keep bringing this up as an issue, and we would like the option to remove the EPR-inhale altogether. But the only response I get is that there would be no problem if we prescribe the same unit with the same settings. In other words, no way to transfer your clinical prescription to another device unless you don't use EPR. This is one of the benefits of using Respironics cause you can use only the C-Flex option, and avoid C-Flex+, because it has similar issues.

BTW, I have no idea with the EPR-Inhale graphs why the peak pressure would be at the transition between inhalation and exhalation. In my mind, that seems to be the least likeliest time to need pressure support.
linuxgeek

Postby stars » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:43 am

Well another point same problem. Your titration done with Resmed or Respironics
When doc send RX to DMI for set up treatment they said " we use FP only or Respironics only. Resmed will be cost much more money????/
stars

Return to Other Equipment