Adapters

Adapters

Postby wmack » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:26 pm

Does anyne out there have any of the BNC Female to Tini plug adapters that they are not uding? I am looking for 9. but would be willing to swap items for however many I can get.
wmack

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:59 pm

The best things I have seen, at Radio Shack they have a BNC to RCA adapter (278-254) then you could connect an RCA to 1/8th inch adapter (274-871). All metal and looked rugged enough for techs to use :wink:
Rick

Postby wmack » Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:36 pm

I am just going to have my biomed dept rewire. There is not enough space to use the adapter and use all of the DC inputs that I am planning on using. Currently I am planning on using 6 DC inputs.
wmack

The Scoop on Grass Miniphone connectors

Postby Eric Halpern » Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:08 am

Grass uses Switchcraft brand connectors for most of its applications. These Switchcraft parts have a 0.141" diameter and are known as Tini-Jax.

The Tini-Jax series parts are NOT compatible with generic Japanese miniphones! Using generic miniphones like those sold at Radio Shack will result in flaky connections.

The male plug is a Switchcraft #750 (plastic) or #780 (metal). Grass# PLU-780

The female is a Switchcraft #142A (plastic case with solder lugs). Grass# HJA-14J-1002

Everything Grass has produced for the last 60+ years uses these Switchcraft brand connectors. The only systems Grass produces with generic miniphones are its recent Comet system amplifiers.

I believe that Grass chose the Tini-Jax series since Switchcraft goes back to 1946 and Switchcraft was one of the only manufacturers of such parts in those days.

Also, it's worth noting that I've NEVER seen a Tini-Jax connector fail ! Whereas, I've given up on numerous walkman and cells phones with tired miniphone connectors. The choice of connectors like these are indirectly responsible for Grass's reputation of hardware reliability.

-Eric Halpern (21 years with Telefactor & 4 years with Grass-Telefactor)
Eric Halpern

Return to Grass Telefactor