ETCO2 during an AVAP titration

Moderators: TexasSleepguy, labman2, respbarb

ETCO2 during an AVAP titration

Postby burchab1 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:45 pm

Just out of curiosity, how accurate is the ETCO2 readings when hooked up to a CPAP mask using a connector we use for o2 delivery?
burchab1

Re: ETCO2 during an AVAP titration

Postby somnonaut » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:06 pm

If you are trying to read way down the circuit you are out of luck. The expiratory gases are way too diffused by then. I used to glue a needle adapter into the elbow of a mask and tape the ETCO2 right off of that point and that too was too diffused. You truly have to get further up the nose to sample more pure mixture. I am writing up a method to obtain sampling further up the nose. Though it can only be used for masks or FFM, not prongs. It would be nice to have a method to get more reliable ETCO2 within the circuit. Even having Transcutaneous CO2 (as we do) it does not allow the fluidity of seeing breath by breath CO2 changes.
I applaud your desire to move the technology forward. This is the kind of thinking that will help prove as to why having lab psg is important and not all things polysomnographic should or could be be move out to the house. We need MORE sensing capability in polysomnography to help with this endeavor, not less. #ADDMORE
somnonaut

Postby stars » Mon May 28, 2018 10:50 pm

only possibly tco2 work
Etco2 never to much good data even
I try several time mask connection or keep cannula under mask use o2 port from mask to connect cannula out and almost wash out signal
stars

Postby somnonaut » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:47 am

If you have a small bore tubing (e.g. 1mm) or so, you can place it on the cheek so that it runs under the seal of a nasal or FFM and it will get very accurate ETCO2 readings. Have it run right under a nostril. Tape it to cheek/lip before placing mask.
somnonaut

Return to Setup and Collection Questions