Fisher & Paykel - Simplus FFM

Moderators: TexasSleepguy, labman2, respbarb

Fisher & Paykel - Simplus FFM

Postby munkyBeatz » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:48 am

I have been anything but a fan of F&P full face masks, as I've rarely had luck with them on titrations and found few patients that actually liked them for home use. That could change with the Simplus though. Our lab just got two of these on Thursday, and I had a chance to use them on two different patients, and just thought I'd post how they worked out for us, and see if others were comparable.

I've pretty much had 4 'Go-To' masks here lately for titrations:
1.] Swift Fx
2.] Eson
3.] Quattro or Amara [Depending on Patient/Pressure]
. - Possibly soon replaced with Simplus

The two patients that we were able to use the new Simplus mask on were started on either nasal pillows or nasal, and exhibited oral venting and were changed to full face later.

If you have experience with the nasal Eson from F&P, then you'll notice that the Simplus is pretty much just a full face version of that mask, and works in the same manner. I saw excellent seals on both patients immediately, both were supine, one was at 9cm with a leak reading <5 LPM. The other was at 12cm with the leak also reading <5. Even after increases and positional changes, leak variation was extremely minimal in comparison to what I'm used to with any other full mask.
The mask didn't shift and need adjustment on either patient the entire time it was on, after 4-5 hours on the masks before lights on. I'm guessing the additional strap that goes over the parietal area, aides this a bit. One of them was the 'violent' position changer, thrashing about like a turtle on it's back just to change position; and the mask stayed in place perfectly.
With this patient, when lights on was performed, we noticed one of the top straps had come undone and was no longer even attached to the forehead stabilizer, yet there was no noticeable leak by patient/tech and reading was good too. That's probably the coolest thing that happened, as I've never seen a strap come completely off on a full face before and not have a noticeable leak, especially at 12cmH20.

I've only had these two study experiences with this mask, but I'm already impressed with it. If it can hold up even close to this experience the majority of the time, I think this will be my new go to full face for titrations.
The only thing that kind of sucks, is that our rep only has size medium at the moment, which was the same when the Eson came out and doesn't know when exactly the other sizes will be available. She says she'll have them soon, but just doesn't know exactly.

Does anyone else have any experience using the Simplus so far? Have you found it to be as good/better than other options for titrations?[/code]
munkyBeatz

Postby somnus diabolus » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:13 am

Why would you go to a FFM for oral venting? Was it causing arousals?
somnus diabolus

Postby munkyBeatz » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:17 pm

somnus diabolus wrote:Why would you go to a FFM for oral venting? Was it causing arousals?

Yes, and was affecting respiratory to the point of pt exhibiting associated desats.
munkyBeatz

Postby somnus diabolus » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:44 pm

I hate when that happens. I haven't had a chance to try Simplus out on a Pt yet. Thanks for the review.
somnus diabolus

Postby dakota » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:30 am

I have had nothing but GREAT things to say about the Simplus! I have used it on several patients so far and the leak is wonderful even on high pressures. We were given smalls, mediums, and larges by our rep. They really do seem to stay in place, even with a lot of movement.

I try to stay away from FFMs if possible and choose to go with a nasal mask or pillows with a chinstrap. Sometimes though, chinstraps don't do the job and I would be forced to go with a FFM. I have used the Amara, Quattro FX, Mirage Quattro, Quattro Air, Comfortgel Blue, Flexifit, Forma, and the Liberty. Before the Simplus, I went with the Mirage Quattro FF. Now, the Simplus is my go to.

These are my favorite masks:
Pillows: Swift FX, Airfit P10, and Swift LT
Nasal: Eson and Zest
FFM: Simplus and Mirage Quattro FF
dakota

Postby labman2 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:39 pm

[quote="dakota
These are my favorite masks:
Pillows: Swift FX, Airfit P10, and Swift LT
Nasal: Eson and Zest
FFM: Simplus and Mirage Quattro FF[/quote]

I like this list but I would add the WISP also! :wink:
labman2

Postby cloverdizzle » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:57 am

One of the guys here loves the Nano... Every time I go to clean out the Hurricane there are several in it.

When I have to use a full face mask, I like the Quattro FX FF (when you can keep it from creeping up on a patient).

I use the Swift FX (sometimes bella), soft gel, air fit, nano, zest, and FX the most. We have a bunch of other crap, but usually the patient has picked a mask from each category before I pull out the older stuff.
cloverdizzle

Postby TrevorReznik » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:34 pm

We have been using F&P Simplus at our lab since about November last year and have had great results, both in the lab and at home use. We do whatever is necessary to avoid FFM but if needed it is the go-to FFM now.
As far as nasal masks go lab and DME:
1. SwiftFX nasal pillows - tied for first
2. F&P Eson - tied for first
3. Resp Wisp
4. SwiftFX Nano
5. F&P PiliaroQ
TrevorReznik

Return to Setup and Collection Questions