References and Grounds

Moderators: TexasSleepguy, labman2, respbarb

References and Grounds

Postby oldgrowth » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:01 pm

This may be the same on all systems. We use a Nihon Kohden system. For EEG, we use an electrode for ground ("Z"), and two references on R and L mastoid. But, the system also uses the C4 electrode for some kind of ground or reference function.

If we do not use C4, we sometines and not always get significant artifact. This artifact is not 60HZ, and not slow waves, but something inbetween.

Nihin Kohden said that we must always have C4 on, but did not explain why very well.

Can someone illuminate me?

Confused in Minnesota
oldgrowth

Postby somnonaut » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:32 pm

Use the SEARCH function to lookup REFERENCE.
http://www.binarysleep.com/phpbb2/viewt ... 2ccb1246ca
somnonaut

Postby bduce » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:41 am

It sounds like your C4 is being used as the common reference.

Common Reference: this is your common negative reference point for all of your reference electrodes

Ground: your ground electrode completes a noise reduction circuit in your system to invert and cancel out any signals to your common reference and ground electrodes.
bduce

Postby MrBig » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:00 am

Just out of curiosity, where are you putting the electrodes marked Z and C4 at on the patient?
MrBig

Re: References and Grounds

Postby TexasSleepguy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:49 am

oldgrowth wrote:This may be the same on all systems. We use a Nihon Kohden system. For EEG, we use an electrode for ground ("Z"), and two references on R and L mastoid. But, the system also uses the C4 electrode for some kind of ground or reference function.

If we do not use C4, we sometines and not always get significant artifact. This artifact is not 60HZ, and not slow waves, but something inbetween.

Nihin Kohden said that we must always have C4 on, but did not explain why very well.

Can someone illuminate me?

Confused in Minnesota

I use NK as well. The C4 lead has to be working in order for everything else to fall in line. Up-grades will help with the situation. If you are still using version 6 I am so sorry and that is half the issue.
TexasSleepguy

Return to Setup and Collection Questions