ExLink Setup

Moderators: TexasSleepguy, labman2, respbarb

ExLink Setup

Postby IBL1 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:42 am

Hi there. I'm an intern in a sleep lab and was tasked to setup the ExLink with the Grael System.

Our Grael is running fine and is connected to the network. The aim is to connect the ExLink such that button presses from the PVT testing computer sends a ping to the ExLink, which is then sent to the PSG Software (we're using ProFusion)/Grael to mark the event.

My question is, is this possible? If so, how?

Also, how is the ExLink connected to the system in the first place? I was told that the unit came with the system but is left unused in our current lab setup. I've tried testing it first by connecting the ethernet and serial port to a computer (whilst the ExLink is connected to the power supply) and pinging the IP address (as per the user's manual) but kept getting a "destination host unreachable" or a "request time-out".

Any help is much appreciated.
IBL1

Re: ExLink Setup

Postby StuKing » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:31 am

The ExLink is configured using the "Network Bluetooth Config Tool", which should be under the Profusion Sleep program folder. The Help button should give you the info you need to configure the IP address, name etc.

You then also need to configure the Grael to use that particular ExLink, which you do through the Custom Device Configuration dialog in PSG Online.

Then it's just a matter of setting up one of the ExLink channels in PSG Config with the relevant sampling rate, input range etc, and probably configure the calibration settings to allow you to calibrate (if the PVT can output a cal signal that is).
StuKing

Postby bduce » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:41 am

One other thing: you will need to use fixed IPs. When I set these up some time ago, Compumedics indicated that they do not work with DHCP as yet. So I would plug each Ex-link directly into the computer (I think it is a DB9 cable that they provide) and assign the IPs through the bluetooth config tool.
bduce

Postby StuKing » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:27 am

bduce wrote:One other thing: you will need to use fixed IPs. When I set these up some time ago, Compumedics indicated that they do not work with DHCP as yet. So I would plug each Ex-link directly into the computer (I think it is a DB9 cable that they provide) and assign the IPs through the bluetooth config tool.

Yep. What he said.
StuKing

Postby IBL1 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:32 am

Thank you for the advice bduce. I did as you instructed and the ExLink was detected but when I tried to click "Configure Bluetooth", I kept getting error messages. I have assigned the correct IPs. Is this because the serial port is only meant to be used with a bleutooth transceiver? In reading the user's manual, it gave me the impression that any serial device can be connected (see page 7 of the attached user's manual).

ExLink Data Logger user's manual (V6.018).pdf
ExLink User's Manual
(677.01 KiB) Downloaded 375 times
IBL1

Postby bduce » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:34 am

What were the error codes?
bduce

Postby IBL1 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:27 am

The error was as follows:
"Unable to put the bluetooth in configuration mode. Ensure that it is plugged in and any Bluetooth device it may be associated with is turned off."
IBL1

Postby StuKing » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:39 am

The Bluetooth configuration is only for use with the Free2Move Bluetooth dongle that is required for real-time monitoring of Somté PSG devices. It is not used for Grael studies and you'll get that error message if the dongle is not connected. Unless you are using that ExLink for Somté PSG recordings then I doubt you even have the Bluetooth dongle, and therefore there is no need to configure Bluetooth.
StuKing

Postby IBL1 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:44 am

Thanks StuKing. The guy from Compumedics pretty much said the same thing. We'll just have to figure out another mode of communication.
IBL1

Postby StuKing » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:41 am

If you've configured the IP address, you should now connect the ExLink to the network (via network cable), and enter it's IP address in the Custom Device Configuration window in PSG Online. Forget about Bluetooth and the serial cable, it should now be ready for network comms.
StuKing

Postby IBL1 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:06 am

Hi StuKing. We wanted initially to configure the serial port as we needed to use it to receive signals from the PVT computer. We now know that it's not possible.

Anyway, now the ExLink is connected to the network. I just wanted to ask, what sort of input jack goes into the ExLink anyway?
IBL1

Postby StuKing » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:07 am

Yep, the serial port is ONLY for the Bluetooth option.

The input jacks look like a normal 3.5mm mono plug, but they're actually a slight variation. Most normal 3.5mm plugs will actually not make proper contact, and therefore won't work. Very frustrating. You can order the correct plugs from Compumedics, your local contact should be able to get them for you.
StuKing

Postby IBL1 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:36 am

Thanks StuKing. I now have a cable with the correct input jack. So my next question is, how do I configure the program such that the ExLink channel becomes a trace in PSG Online? I've done as bduce mentioned and set the specific IP with a particular Grael. I'm a bit lost with how to set it up as a manual input in PSG config.

Btw, I just wanted to reiterate that I really appreciate the help that you guys give.
IBL1

Postby StuKing » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:38 am

PSG Config is where you need to go. The ExLink channels are numbers 61-76, and have a default name of Ext Dc 1-16. These are listed in the Physical Channels pane.

So if you have it connected to input 1 on the ExLink, you need to give channel 61 a name, and select a sampling rate and input range. Then simply add that channel into your trace layout. You will probably want to also setup the calibration parameters for the input (right click the channel name in Physical Channels), but you will have to consult with the PVT guys about how to actully perform the calibration (which is done in PSG Online). The PSG Config and PSG Online help files have details on how to configure and perform calibrations.
StuKing

Return to Setup and Collection Questions