Collodion Removers

Moderators: TexasSleepguy, labman2, respbarb

Re: Collodion Removers

Postby RayMeece » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:06 am

Are you saying yall still use Collodian? Wow. did not know it was still being used

We used it in my first lab 23 years ago, before all the OSHA and EPA restrictions went into effect. Now we use paste. It is much easier and just as effective.
RayMeece

Postby RayMeece » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:10 am

Having said that, Acetone is the BEST remover. Why not use it?

There are good non-acetone removers, but I don't remember what works best. Maybe someone else can offer some advice.

To remove, whether with acetone or without, is to soak a cotton ball in the remover, apply to the site and let it soak in to soften the collodian, then pull with all your might. LOL no it should come off without resistance. Then rub the spot to remove any residual collodian.

Don't you have someone in your lab to train you on this?
RayMeece

Postby somnonaut » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:51 pm

Still am lost as to why people still use caustic, cancer-causing collodian + Acetone when the lanolin, water-based fixatives last overnight with no problem? Why put the patient thru that? Or your techs? I remember the lab I started in back in the Jurrasic period and the senior tech showed me his hands from using acetone and his fingertips were all worn away. WTF? I noped right out of there and told them I would never use that crap. I became expert in EC2 cream application and then 10-20 and Elefix. No reason to put techs, patients or environment thru the stress of using collodian or acetone.
somnonaut

Postby stars » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:44 am

total BS i use 10-20 every day for patient from 6 months to 90. Even very restless patient signal no problem. last week i run patient with full EEG montage over total sleep recording time 18 hr/somnolence/with follow MSLT and signal was good.
stars

Postby stars » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:34 pm

secret are you kidding?
10-20 paste no need dry. Standard skin prep
How long you doing this job ? Our new tech after 3 months training and practice doing without ask help. nothing more just practice
Just if you really want open real search on u tube
stars

Postby somnonaut » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:32 pm

Easy there Mik. Please excuse my friend, English is his second language.

I work exclusively Peds. From birth to 18 or +. For < 24 mos (or for those unable to keep still) I use an Electrode prep pad which has alcohol and abrasive in it. So I can just wipe the site or even more than just the site (hint, hint) and then place the electrode while chasing the patient's head. For those over 24mos (or able to stay still or immobile) I use standard Nu-Prep prep with my time worn way of application. Taking the short cotton swab in my finger tips and SPINNING it to the rhythm "Doot, doot, doot" LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, 1/4 turn each movement. And this adequately preps and area of approximately 1cm diamter only. No making huge circles with cotton swabs by laying it on its side and moving in circular motion (STOP THAT!) Anyone that has trained under me knows how I make a joke of my little song "DOOT, DOOT, DOOT" while spinning the cotton swab. Has worked for decades across all age groups. I even gave an electrode setup tutorial once for APT (AAST) at a National Sleep meeting back in the 90's.

Anyway, what really keeps things from "moving" is the locking of the gauze (NOT SPONGE, there is a difference) into the hair by layering the hair OVER the impregnated gauze so the hair keeps the gauze in place which keeps the electrode in place. This also provides a means by which stress to the electrode wires conveys immediately to the hair, providing a negative feedback loop to the patient; instead of the topically placed sponge covered electrode freely able to be pulled from the site by any and all stressors to the wire. I am amazed at how newbies can use 2cm x 2cm sponge squares on top of an electrode only to be defeated easily by a simple pull on a wire, while my 1.5cmX1.5cm gauze hair covered application can withstand a bit more pull. Just covering an electrode with sponge does not a fixative make. OY

Then we use elastic hair nets on top of ALL the head sensors/electrodes to keep everything in place. Yes, especially Airflow and Cannula, all goes under the headnet. Even Tcco2 which I put on the forehead.

Thinking of making a video for this. Should I?
somnonaut

Postby somnonaut » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:57 pm

https://secure.mvapmed.com/prod-Electro ... -1630.aspx
Headnet like this https://secure.mvapmed.com/prod-Pre_Cut ... -2183.aspx (Tip: rip holes at ears to help hold in place from sliding)

Then of course there also is Tensive Conductive AHESIVE which sticks like all getout and is water soluble. https://secure.mvapmed.com/prod-Tensive ... G-710.aspx

There is so much available I never understand why people stick with collodian.
somnonaut

Postby RayMeece » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:49 am

well, I definitely don't like using collodian, so I agree. It's dangerous, cost-prohibitive, and easily replaced.

Go with the 10-20 paste, use Claude's application technique, and rock-on.

A good application will outlast most MSLTs
RayMeece

Postby RayMeece » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:30 am

That is why we are here - to offer help from experienced, well-worn sleep gurus.

Not to argue political differences.

Glad to be a part of that service.

And that is why I say that this site is 1000 times better than facebook. If we didn't give a complete answer, you could at least search for other answers to help in you quest.
RayMeece

Return to Setup and Collection Questions