Pressure Transducer

Moderators: TexasSleepguy, labman2, respbarb

Pressure Transducer

Postby "Montana Slim" » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:54 am

Using Alice 5 if it matters, but the pressure transducer isn't picking up at all. It is a jagged line and my co-worker has done some trouble-shooting on it to no avail. Any ideas?
"Montana Slim"

Postby BondGirl » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:00 am

We were having this problem for a long time. We started out using the oral/nasal cannulas and ended up having to change it multiple times. I think one tech here tried anything and everything he could think of to try to resolve the issue to no avail. We recently switched to just a nasal cannula and so far have had very little issues.
BondGirl

Postby thesleepwhisperer » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:49 pm

Montana,
I was working on the Alice5 last night (perdiem gig) and we also have loads of issues with it. We've found that taking the "filter" off the far end of the tranducer helped us a great deal. Hope you get the same outcome.
thesleepwhisperer

Postby "Montana Slim" » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:24 am

I don't know whisper. Where is a 'scientist' when you need one?
"Montana Slim"

Postby unclenut » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:26 am

He left The building...
unclenut

Postby "Montana Slim" » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:35 am

unclenut wrote:He left The building...

Why unclenut, what ever do you mean?
"Montana Slim"

Postby unclenut » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:36 am

:D :D :D
unclenut

Postby somnonaut » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:49 pm

"Scientist"? Why would you need one of those, were you looking for rude, biting, sarcastic commentary or help?

What Pflow device are you plugging into? PTAF, Braebon, other, possibly built in to Alice (then it does matter).
somnonaut

Postby "Montana Slim" » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:52 pm

somnonaut wrote:"Scientist"? Why would you need one of those, were you looking for rude, biting, sarcastic commentary or help?

What Pflow device are you plugging into? PTAF, Braebon, other, possibly built in to Alice (then it does matter).

Somno

I was just kidding about needing a scientist, but I really do need help.

We are using PTAF Lite. My co-worker changed it out, but I told him that tonight when we come back in I want to retry it and see what happens.

Thanks in advance for any and all help you can give. The pressure transducer is something new to me and I am trying to learn about it.
"Montana Slim"

Postby somnonaut » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:22 pm

SO you have fresh:

Cannula
batteries
next to check would be signal out of PTAF, maybe with a volt meter at the output pins. This way you would know if the box is actually pushing out a voltage that changes with breath.

You could also take the batteries and the cannula and put them into a SECOND box (from another room,) and plug the whole setup in the first room. Also plug the first (?malfunctioning PTAF?) into the second room's setup to test it there.
This tests to see if the problem is with the PTAF or the recorder.

Troubleshooting is the art of performing mini-experiments on equipment. "Does it do the expected in this situation vs. that situation."
somnonaut

Postby Bevelman » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:22 pm

hmmm I run the same system here.. haven't had any problem with the PTAF's we are using three Protech Respironics PTAFs and one binaps. All three seem to work well here. In your montage what are the settings? There isn't battieries to worry about with this system and i'm pretty sure the one you are using as well. I have used different thermistors but are currently running thermisence... with nasal only cannulas. Although if we run ETCO2 we use an oral nasal and still get the same readings.

I have run both protechs and salter PTAF cannulas and have not noticed much of a difference. So i'm thinking it's the PTAF it's self.. perhaps head box? Does it work in other rooms.. do you only have one PTAF? If you have more then one do they all not work? Are they new?

This is being plugged into the middle of the head box right? With some sort of two into one connection?
Bevelman

Postby zack » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:22 pm

What brand and model canula are using?

On an off topic side note, I remember in seventh grade when I or some one would get suspended, the other kids would think it was so cool and would bring up the kids who where kicked out all the time to try to get a rise out of the grown ups. In 7th grade it was called being a 7th grader on the internet its called trolling I think, it dosnt bother me except I'll be happy when it gets old and I don't have to read through silly stuff in non miscellaneous threads to get to interesting stuff :]
Last edited by zack on Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zack

Postby zack » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:25 pm

Ah, if anybody has had fun with pita cannulas and Alice 5s, its our buddy Bevelman! Lol
zack

Postby somnonaut » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:50 pm

I have also seen headbox inputs get broken and only after days upon days of techs trying to get good signals does that end being checked. Take another signal and plug it into the headbox where the PTAF goes.
somnonaut

Postby "Montana Slim" » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:55 am

We tried a new PTAF in the headbox where the old PTAF was and there was flow with this one.
"Montana Slim"

Next

Return to Setup and Collection Questions