intercostal emg

Moderators: TexasSleepguy, labman2, respbarb

Postby JHawks93 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:42 pm

Only had to use intercostal EMG's once. Many years ago I traveled 90 minutes north of our hospital based lab to a sister hospital that we did sleep studies at. I had 2 complete systems that I would pack up and take with me on each travel. All the cases and bags were kept in a closet in the back hallway of the lab...out of eye sight...or so I thought. After my 90 minute drive I began unpacking the multitude of equipment needed to test 2 patients. To my chagrin I discovered that someone had taken all the respiratory belts out of the bags. I later found out that the ones in the main lab had "broke" and they took my good ones out of the portable bags. "Now what?" I thought. Then it hit me...intercostals. Having never seen them applied I grabbed some extra leg EMG wires (the 120" ones) and applied them. After adjusting the HFF to 70 Hz and LFF to 5 Hz I had a bit of tweaking necessary on the sensitivity. BUT...i was able to generate a signal that allowed me to run the studies. Not an ideal situation or preferred respiratory signal, but it worked. Of course we did a lot of that back in the day.
JHawks93

intercostal placement

Postby rj » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:43 am

Is there a general concensus on placement for intercostal EMG-thanks
rj

Re: intercostal placement

Postby poopdeckpappy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:26 pm

rj wrote:Is there a general concensus on placement for intercostal EMG-thanks

Good resource: http://www.binarysleep.com/phpbb2/viewt ... ntercostal

We use them on all our pts and it can be helpful. Worth the extra leads for the times when you are really not sure if an event is cental or obstructive.
poopdeckpappy

Postby somnonaut » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:22 am

Been having an interest of late on this also.

FROM Here www.sleep-wake.com/sensors-08-02174.pdf pg. 2177

"2.5. Surface EMG recordings for diaphragm and external intercostals
Surface recordings of the right costal diaphragmatic and external intercostals EMG activity were
obtained by using pairs of skin-taped silver/silver chloride electrodes (8 mm in diameter) filled with
conductive paste placed on the cleaned, abraded skin. To record the activity of the diaphragm, the
electrodes were placed in the seventh or eighth intercostal space on the right side of the body at the
midclavicular line, and for the external intercostals muscles, electrodes were placed in the 2nd or 3rd
intercostal space at the mid clavicular line (Figure 1). A ground electrode was placed on the sternum.
The distance between the two electrodes of a given pair was kept to a minimum,never exceeding 2 cm,
and care was taken to place the electrodes in the same orientation as the muscle fibers. The positioning
of the two electrodes respective to one another was adjusted, stepwise displacement of one of the
electrodes around the other on a circle passing by each electrode center, until clear return of the signal
toits baseline after the stimulation artifact and the elimination of any short-latency small wave was
obtained, such as those described by Luoet al. [27]. Once the electrodes were positioned and a clear
EMG signal was confirmed (by a deep inspiration), the electrodes were fixed in place using adhesive
surgical tape. It has been established that with appropriate placement of electrodes, quality EMG
recordings, minimally disturbed by unwanted external factors, could be obtained from the diaphragm
and intercostals [28]. The influence of the ECG on the EMG signal was minimized by recording from
the right side of the body. To further minimize any signal contamination by ECG on the diaphragm
EMG during the two seconds PImaxeffort, root mean square (RMS) was measured from the segments
between QRS complexes."

Further placement guide
somnonaut

Postby linuxgeek » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:44 pm

We use 6th intercostal space.
linuxgeek

Postby linuxgeek » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:48 pm

linuxgeek wrote:We use 6th intercostal space.

Correction, didn't read it well the first time.

6th intercostal for intercostal. below the line of the rib-cage for diagphragm.
Considerably different then they have here.
linuxgeek

Previous

Return to Setup and Collection Questions