No N3?

Moderator: labman2

No N3?

Postby BondGirl » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:07 am

I work in lab where the "lead tech" who scores has told our two trainees that they are not to mark the stage as N3 because, "You only see that in the very old and the very young." Have you ever heard someone tell a trainee such a thing? This came up after the trainees began asking me tons of questions due to my experience and being an RPSGT. I only work per Diem at this lab. And also the scoring tech has not done any inter-scorer reliability.
BondGirl

Postby MrBig » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:43 am

MrBig

yes

Postby zack » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:27 am

I agree.
zack

Postby somnonaut » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:01 pm

Slightly misogynistic Mr Big, no?
Stick figures could have worked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_ze89djPbY
somnonaut

Postby MrBig » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:31 pm

somnonaut wrote:Slightly misogynistic Mr Big, no?
Stick figures could have worked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_ze89djPbY

Haha, DEFINITELY not intentional, if so.
MrBig

Postby BondGirl » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:33 am

HAHAHA! You guys crack me up. Thanks.
BondGirl

Re: No N3?

Postby Narco » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:45 am

BondGirl wrote:I work in lab where the "lead tech" who scores has told our two trainees that they are not to mark the stage as N3 because, "You only see that in the very old and the very young." Have you ever heard someone tell a trainee such a thing? This came up after the trainees began asking me tons of questions due to my experience and being an RPSGT. I only work per Diem at this lab. And also the scoring tech has not done any inter-scorer reliability.

Maybe the "Lead Tech/ Scorer" just wanted them to be wary of calling it N3 and stressed where to find and see it more. I don't know how it was conveyed to the "trainees" but I do believed that one cannot assumed being the " Lead Tech/Scorer " or gained the Directors/Doctors trust unless the Sleep Lab is practicing sub par.
Narco

Postby bduce » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:19 am

@BondGirl
Please refer said Lead Tech to:

Ohayon MM; Carskadon MA; Guilleminault C; Vitiello MV. Metaanalysis of quantitative sleep parameters from childhood to old age in healthy individuals: developing normative sleep values across the human lifespan. SLEEP 2004;27(7):1255-73.

That should set them right.
bduce

Postby KendallStation » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:57 am

Yeeeaaaahh, that's a bit off. I was recently training at my new spot and a tech told me you could mark a hyponea for a desaturation that came before the airflow reduction....because apparently she's a time traveller.

Get one of those trainees under your watch for a night and tell them what's up....even if you, (or the lab) don't, teach them by the book.
KendallStation

Postby BondGirl » Sat May 31, 2014 11:44 am

I have told the trainees that wasn't "quite right". Actually I spit out a mouthful of RedBull ala Looney Toons style when they told me that the first time. They're making great strides in becoming wonderful sleep techs. And are very good at recognizing N3. :lol:
BondGirl

Return to Scoring Sleep Studies