delta waves ?

Moderator: labman2

delta waves ?

Postby samcdona » Tue May 22, 2018 2:14 am

I'm a new RPSGT and work in a lab by myself. I could use some advice from the more seasoned out there. I have a patient who has what would obviously be delta waves in the occipital channel, but nothing in the frontal or central channels that would qualify as slow wave sleep (would be N2 because the amplitude is too small to be a delta wave). The AASM manual states that the slow waves are supposed to be in the frontal channel for scoring N3 sleep. How closely is this rule followed? Would this example be N2 or N3 sleep? Thanks for your help!

Sandra
samcdona

Re: delta waves ?

Postby picklish » Tue May 22, 2018 11:54 am

Are you sure the EEG cables weren't put into the wrong sockets on the headbox - this has happened in our lab before...

If you can put up a screenshot (with no patient data obviously) then we can have a look
picklish

Re: delta waves ?

Postby RayMeece » Thu May 31, 2018 6:31 am

Yes, Normally, Delta waves do NOT appear in the Occipital channel. Also check the measurements for placement of those Occipital leads. And the others as well. This sounds to be some big mix-up.

True Delta waves appear higher in the Frontal, A little lower in the Central, and not at all in Occipital. Usually.

Screenshot would help
RayMeece

Return to Scoring Sleep Studies