Outsourcing scoring to India.

Moderator: labman2

Postby somnonaut » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:25 pm

"3 techs to score a 6 bed lab"

Sounds WAYYY bloated to me anyway. That can't be a true ratio.
User avatar
somnonaut
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14134
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:03 pm
Location: http://tinyurl.com/righteousdude

Postby RPSGT88athome » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:18 pm

Assuming the 6 bed lab runs 7 nights per week at 100% capacity that only 42 studies per week. Assuming the night techs [10 hr shifts] don't lift a finger to score a study, it should take no more than 1.25 FTEs to score all the studies every single week. So from my point of view, that lab is purely wasting 1.75 FTEs @ $30/hr. That adds up to a Total Wage Waste of $100,800 per year (not including benefits.)

If the night techs are working 12 hr shifts, they should be scoring at least 1 study every shift because it only takes about 10.5 hours to perform two studies. That's 1.5 hours wasted time per tech per shift unless they are scoring. That's 1.5 hours @ 3 shifts per week = 4.5 hours per night tech per week that should be spent scoring. If you look at it like this, the scoring load should not take up more than 0.9FTE. 3-0.9FTE=2.1FTE. Total Wage Waste is $120,960 per year (not including benefits.)

RPSGT88
User avatar
RPSGT88athome
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2805
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:26 pm

Postby K-sey Complex » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:11 am

RPSGT88athome wrote:Assuming the 6 bed lab runs 7 nights per week at 100% capacity that only 42 studies per week. Assuming the night techs [10 hr shifts] don't lift a finger to score a study, it should take no more than 1.25 FTEs to score all the studies every single week. So from my point of view, that lab is purely wasting 1.75 FTEs @ $30/hr. That adds up to a Total Wage Waste of $100,800 per year (not including benefits.)

If the night techs are working 12 hr shifts, they should be scoring at least 1 study every shift because it only takes about 10.5 hours to perform two studies. That's 1.5 hours wasted time per tech per shift unless they are scoring. That's 1.5 hours @ 3 shifts per week = 4.5 hours per night tech per week that should be spent scoring. If you look at it like this, the scoring load should not take up more than 0.9FTE. 3-0.9FTE=2.1FTE. Total Wage Waste is $120,960 per year (not including benefits.)

RPSGT88


You're hired!
User avatar
K-sey Complex
Senior Member
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:17 am
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

Postby somnonaut » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:14 am

Hey Me and James had an "agreement."
It is either he comes up here to work, I go down to his lab.
:wink: 8)
User avatar
somnonaut
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14134
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:03 pm
Location: http://tinyurl.com/righteousdude

Postby sam » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:12 am

somnonaut wrote:"3 techs to score a 6 bed lab"

Sounds WAYYY bloated to me anyway. That can't be a true ratio.


My understanding is these techs did more than score the studies - They also did MSLT and MWT. This lab did a lot of MSLT. Their patient load slowed down.

Because of them now outsourcing the scoring, they now have the per diem staff to do MSLT and MWT's - do not have to pay for benefits on these people so they save money.

And the Full-time day staff they kept - moved back to night shift.

At our lab - outsourcing our scoring has saved us a lot of money a year also. Which helps keep our doors open for the techs we do have full-time on staff.

It also helps us to be able to give decent raises to our staff each year.
sam
Member
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:06 pm

Postby somnonaut » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:46 am

"do not have to pay for benefits on these people "

That makes it soooo "convenient"

Sounds like the Wal-Marting of sleep
User avatar
somnonaut
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14134
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:03 pm
Location: http://tinyurl.com/righteousdude

Postby stars » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:32 pm

sam wrote:
somnonaut wrote:"3 techs to score a 6 bed lab"

Sounds WAYYY bloated to me anyway. That can't be a true ratio.


My understanding is these techs did more than score the studies - They also did MSLT and MWT. This lab did a lot of MSLT. Their patient load slowed down.

Because of them now outsourcing the scoring, they now have the per diem staff to do MSLT and MWT's - do not have to pay for benefits on these people so they save money.

And the Full-time day staff they kept - moved back to night shift.

At our lab - outsourcing our scoring has saved us a lot of money a year also. Which helps keep our doors open for the techs we do have full-time on staff.

It also helps us to be able to give decent raises to our staff each year.



In our lab * bed ratio 2 patient per night tech and he need to score 1-2 study at list. we have 8 bed 4-5 tech with night supervisor every night.
If we have extra night tech this tech score all night and help to another tech as needed. also day staff scoring stat study and do continuation and any MSlt . . .We do MSLT mostly every day and i cant see any problem running 2 patient and scoring 2-3 study every night. Less talk just doing
User avatar
stars
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1445
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:55 am

Postby sam » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:18 pm

In our lab * bed ratio 2 patient per night tech and he need to score 1-2 study at list. we have 8 bed 4-5 tech with night supervisor every night.
If we have extra night tech this tech score all night and help to another tech as needed. also day staff scoring stat study and do continuation and any MSlt . . .We do MSLT mostly every day and i cant see any problem running 2 patient and scoring 2-3 study every night. Less talk just doing


Hi Stars - sounds good - we wanted only RPSGT to score our studies - we don't have enough RPSGT's on staff yet - plus we like the extra perks we get from the scoring company we use -

Most techs I know who score studies and watch patients make mistakes and they have less job satisfaction. Plus it seems you are putting more work on a techs. I want them to only concentrate on taking care of the patient. Leave the scoring to someone else. I don't want them to worry about scoring 1-2 studies a night. Patient first. We do cross train all of our techs and let them score from time to time for learning.

Plus our Medical Director requires a lot on our scoring reports - everything is done manual -plus comments. It take a scorer at least 1 1/2 hour to complete his style of scoring. (every arousals must be scored - Rera - we look for alpha Instrusions- beta waves and so forth)

I think everything depends on the style of the Medical Director and lab.
sam
Member
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:06 pm

Postby stars » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:48 pm

You wrote"Most techs I know who score studies and watch patients make mistakes and they have less job satisfaction"Are you sure about.Or you think day time tech who only scoring 100 %.right.
We scoring a lot and make comment and only manually we dont use autoscore system. Plus score and runnnig very good practical tool for make lab work more effective.Everybody has his own view ant this just my experience.
User avatar
stars
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1445
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:55 am

Postby sam » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:30 am

stars wrote:You wrote"Most techs I know who score studies and watch patients make mistakes and they have less job satisfaction"Are you sure about.Or you think day time tech who only scoring 100 %.right.
We scoring a lot and make comment and only manually we dont use autoscore system. Plus score and runnnig very good practical tool for make lab work more effective.Everybody has his own view ant this just my experience.


Hi Stars, I was only speaking about my experience in relationship to night techs scoring. I am aware of several bad incidents that have and can occur when this is done.

One of my experience. - A night tech was scoring a study - not watching the monitor on the patient who was sleeping -the patient had life threatening cardiac arrythymias the tech missed it - the medical director should have been called about this patient. The patient end up having to go to the emergency room the next day. This should have been caught early and reported to the medical director. The medical director was upset with the tech and the tech was frustrated that he was force to watch a patient and score a study. (I am sure this is rare, but this oddity happen to us.)

Some labs are very lucky nothing happens and a tech can score and watch a patient , others are not so lucky something crazy can happen. It's a flip of a coin. We prefer to take the coin flip of patients lives out of the equation by having our techs do only one job - look after our patients.

Every lab is different - It might work at your lab it just did not work well at ours. We decided not to take that chance again.
sam
Member
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:06 pm

Postby Somnologist » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:13 am

I wonder how patients would feel if they knew their studies were being scored in India. I would never work or be a patient for a lab that did that.

I am sure that outsourcing labs have competitors who know and their competitors surely let other people know. Word travels fast- you could lose a lot of business when people find out. It will be hard to keep any jobs when consumers don't come to your lab.
User avatar
Somnologist
Senior Member
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 12:53 am
Location: I see you when you're sleeping.

Postby rafeekmk » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:35 am

what if in India, sleep is scored by a RPSGT?
User avatar
rafeekmk
Member
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:38 pm
Location: United Arab Emirates

Postby somnonaut » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:25 pm

They might be scored by "RPSGT" but using old rules or new rules. And then is there really a way to tell besides rescoring the PSG anyway?
The sleep co-op I described keeps everyone employed in their current jobs, gives the field a Cross platform, cross lab, cross globe scoring QA comparison program, while all the while basically allowing for FREE scoring. I am not sure how anyone, anywhere can compete with that.
User avatar
somnonaut
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14134
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:03 pm
Location: http://tinyurl.com/righteousdude

Postby Somnologist » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:31 pm

somnonaut wrote:They might be scored by "RPSGT" but using old rules or new rules. And then is there really a way to tell besides rescoring the PSG anyway?


EXACTLY
User avatar
Somnologist
Senior Member
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 12:53 am
Location: I see you when you're sleeping.

Re: Outsourcing scoring to India.

Postby samanthajones » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:58 am

Let's Break the Myth!

Too much of hue & cry, too many trolls, lot of noise on this subject. Before I set off with my viewpoint, let me tell you my background. Am a RPGST, scoring & reporting "sleep" for some of the largest global healthcare providers over the last decade and half. I am Indian. I have lived in the US for almost a decade in the past. So, that should silence the critics who are getting ready to write me off saying that I am irrelevant. I am NOT!

Globalization has impacted all businesses in the last five years; Healthcare is not an exception. With increasing pressure on value maximization, providers have tried several creative ways and means to sustain momentum, enhance patient engagement and grow profits. This is not new; every business does this and I don't see any reason why Healthcare should not! Business process automation through near-shore and/or offshore outsourcing is one of the key areas where providers add significant value to their core business. Outsourcing standard and repeatable jobs help business stay focused while also enabling them to save cost. On a different note, outsourcing need not be done to save cost only. Leading IDTFs in Central and North America have acknowledged that superior quality and short turnaround times are two critical business enablers that have a positive impact on their bottom-lines.

India, as always, is a destination by choice for quality and responsiveness; cost advantage is only a bonus! After all, the decision makers in most of the healthcare businesses in the US are not novices to ship jobs to offshore destinations, right?

Job cuts as a consequence of an unpredictable global economy is something that we all have to come to terms with. Again, the Healthcare industry is no exception. This phenomenon has actually impacted growing nations more than developed nations. Now, trollers need to understand that global economy has NOTHING to do with sleep study outsourcing. Mixing the two only shows someone's inability to think maturely. I am available to talk/ comment or discuss any topic relevant to this post.
But then, let's realize one fact - we are all thorough professionals, worth the salt.

Sleep study scoring & reporting is a responsible task. The job needs expertise, dedication and passion. Continuous training, certifications and endorsements go a long way in infusing customer confidence in performing these tasks. We all know how valuable an RPGST is to a sleep lab, or to a health center that offers specific treatment to address sleep disorders. Further, reporting is an equally serious job. Physicians rely on scores and reports to determine the treatment cycle. With more and more people getting aware of sleep-related disorders, this industry will only grow. I can see more jobs being created, more engagement models getting explored, increasing need for certified and skilled resources, etc. Outsourcing sleep scoring actually helps create a global ecosystem for patient care, which in my opinion, is the way to go to address the need of the hour.
samanthajones
New Member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:56 am

PreviousNext

Return to Scoring Sleep Studies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron