3:1 pt to tech ratio

Moderators: TexasSleepguy, labman2, SCNVsleep

3:1 pt to tech ratio

Postby truckerdave1970 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:31 am

It seems like this is happening and becoming the rule, rather than the execption.

I know of a chain of labs running 3:1 every night. In labs where there are only 3 beds there is only ONE TECH in the building, alone with 3 pts.

Does anyone know how they are getting away with this? (Yes, they are accredited by the AASM.)

I thought this was not allowed except in unforeseen circumstances.

Would you be willing to work in such a lab?
truckerdave1970

Re: 3:1 pt to tech ratio

Postby somnonaut » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:57 am

Correct Dave, AASM guidelines do call for routine ratio to be 2:1 max.
No I would not work in a lab like that.
Call the Academy and ask them directly. They would be happy to provide guidance.
http://www.aasmnet.org/accred_centerhome.aspx
Accreditation Department: (630) 737-9700
http://www.aasmnet.org/ContactUs.aspx
somnonaut

Postby Midnight Rider » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:43 pm

Are these labs privately-owned by MDs/ individuals or hospital owned?
Midnight Rider

Postby truckerdave1970 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:19 am

Midnight Rider wrote:Are these labs privately-owned by MDs/ individuals or hospital owned?

privately owned, however they have at least one location that is somehow connected to a hospital.
The arrangement as I understood it was the techs worked for the company under the guidance and direction of the hospital.
something like a temporary worker works at a job site but is actually employed by the staffing agency, that was my uinderstanding
truckerdave1970

Postby Midnight Rider » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:27 am

I remember talking to a vendor after their presentation several years ago. In their personal view it appeared that labs doing 3:1 were more than likely in a region of the country with poor insurance coverage. If a fair number of employers in a particular area did provide health insurance coverage it was little more than catastrophic coverage and did not pay for procedures such as psgs and the like.
In my view it's most likely a combination of that and the owners using lab revenues as a personal ATM; similar to what we saw with places like Total Sleep Diagnostics a few years back. In any case a place such as yours being hellbent on that sort of staffing will not change until they have difficulty recruiting and retaining employees. Even at that unfortunately there will be some poor unknowing fool needing experience and a paycheck willing to suffer through a workplace such as you describe.
Midnight Rider

Return to Managing a Sleep Lab