problems with computer/compumedics

Moderators: TexasSleepguy, SCNVsleep, labman2

problems with computer/compumedics

Postby sleepchild0125 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:20 pm

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has used Compumedics Nexus with the Grael equipment. We've been having two main technical problems which neither our companies' IT or Compumedics IT can figure out. Our first problem is that during an overnight sleep study the computers would randomly shut down. Sometimes we can resume the study when we turn the computer back on or we have to start a new study. It's becoming problematic now because the data for the first half of the study would disappear and we would have to call Compumedics to "find" the data. Second is that our CPAP flow would suddenly disappear in the middle of a study. Even during these incidents we have to restart the computer to get the CPAP flow working again. Can anyone relate to these issues? Please help! :x
sleepchild0125

Postby respbarb » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:20 am

When you say the "computers shut down" are you saying the software program crashes or your computers actually shut off themselves?
Never heard of them shutting down, but we have had problems with the software program crashing.
It turned out for us it was a windows problem. We have stared rebooting the computers every morning and it has stopped that problem for us. It was a lot of trial and error and Compumedics never recommended it until we pushed for a resolution.
Had one WS that had problem with missing CPAP channel a few times, again since we started rebooting computers everyday have not had these problems again. (for now)
respbarb

Problems with Computer

Postby sleepchild0125 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:17 am

Sometimes the computer will shut off by itself or the program will crash just as you described. We also started thinking about rebooting the computers every morning too so we'll start trying to do that now and see if it helps with the issues we are having.
sleepchild0125

Postby stars » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:30 am

Computer directly from Compumedics or not
What kind datalog use to connection with cpap
stars

Problems with computer

Postby sleepchild0125 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:56 am

The computer is not from Compumedics and the CPAP flow is connected to an Ex-Link which is provided by Compumedics.
sleepchild0125

Postby somnonaut » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:34 am

I also implemented computer reboots in AM when I ran a lab that used Compumedics with Grael.
somnonaut

Postby bduce » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:10 am

What version of Profusion are you using? Related to this is the Ex-link and how it handles the DC input data. Had same issue where all my DC inputs through the Ex-link would go up to the +1V max and remain there. Got our overnight staff to unplug the ethernet cable form the EX-link and replug it in. That would usually reset the Ex-link device. A Hotfix was also created to help with that problem. Same applies with the random shut down. I'm on 372 and we hardly get that issue these days.
bduce

Postby K-sey Complex » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:32 am

Unplugging the control boxes for 10 minutes or so every week (and as needed) did wonders for us. Been doing that for years now.
K-sey Complex

Re: problems with computer/compumedics

Postby Vix » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:55 pm

sleepchild0125 wrote:Our first problem is that during an overnight sleep study the computers would randomly shut down. Sometimes we can resume the study when we turn the computer back on or we have to start a new study.

I used to have this problem with our computers a number of years back.... I'd get reports from the techs - "I don't know what happened, it just suddenly shut off"...
Relocating the computers further away from the techs' knees and feet miraculously resolved the problem.
Vix

Re: problems with computer/compumedics

Postby somnus diabolus » Mon May 06, 2013 12:50 am

Vix wrote:
sleepchild0125 wrote:Our first problem is that during an overnight sleep study the computers would randomly shut down. Sometimes we can resume the study when we turn the computer back on or we have to start a new study.

I used to have this problem with our computers a number of years back.... I'd get reports from the techs - "I don't know what happened, it just suddenly shut off"...
Relocating the computers further away from the techs' knees and feet miraculously resolved the problem.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
somnus diabolus

Postby bbdgriptonia » Mon May 06, 2013 11:30 pm

somnonaut wrote:I also implemented computer reboots in AM when I ran a lab that used Compumedics with Grael.

This actually won't work if you utilize the neXus database abilities. Restarting right after collection will not allow enough time for migration of the study. I have just had my day staff, login, verify no studies are in migration progress, then restart. Saved us a lot of time and hassle with "missing" studies and our video card issues as well.

Two things i want to point out to SleepChild, your biggest problem is most likely not compumedics. If the system crashing has only been occurring after you upgraded, it is most likely the memory of your compumters. We had a similar issue. Also, there is a setting you can disable on each recording station to keep the auto-resume from happening on restart. by disabling this, you should be able to manually resume studies everytime.

Go to neXus Config, then local settings. Disable the auto-resume. Now if your station suddenly restarts or crashes, i almost gurantee the station will ask if you would like to resume study after reboot. The study should remain in the action item list. When you click on it, it will ask if you want to: A. Resume Collection, B. Change study to teh Acquired State, or C. Delete study. Again, this should allow you to save your data and resume colleciton after a crash.

Lastly, you dont need compumedics to "find lost studies" as their tech support is slow and at times just unhelpful.

Every collection station that records the PSG first creates the original study on its hard drive, then migrates a mirror to the neXus database server. All the compumedic tech is doing to find lost studies is resurfacing them from the local db. If you don't have windows i cant help ya, but if you do have windows, follow these steps:

Go tot the local disk drive on the station where you need to recover a study. open the neXus folder, then open the Online Data Store folder.

Every study is recorded with this weird time stamped code. Not very helpful, but if you know when the study you are looking for was created, you can use the "Date Modified" columns within windows. When you have the folder you need, copy and paste it in to a folder on your desktop (or C drive, E drive, wherever, as long as it is outside the online data store folder). Now go to Study Migrate, put your new folder into the study source, and *fingers crossed* it should appear.

Make Sense? good luck.
bbdgriptonia

Postby bduce » Tue May 07, 2013 1:12 am

This actually won't work if you utilize the neXus database abilities. Restarting right after collection will not allow enough time for migration of the study. I have just had my day staff, login, verify no studies are in migration progress, then restart. Saved us a lot of time and hassle with "missing" studies and our video card issues as well.

Actually you can set your workstations so that they migrate as they record. The time required to finish migration after study end is minimal. Also ensures you have redundancy of data as you record - just in case your hard drive dies a quick death (unless you already have your data drive mirrored to another hard drive).
bduce

Postby somnonaut » Tue May 07, 2013 1:14 am

"Restarting right after collection will not allow enough time for migration of the study."
Who said it was performed "right after". Of course one has to look at the screen to see if all migration has been completed. That is a simple task, as migration took approximately 5-10 minutes, and was finished well before the tech came back to the control room after unhooking the patient.

Being the first user in the U.S. with Grael back in 2010, I had to help them work out some of the bugs. One thing you can thank me for is:
"Every collection station that records the PSG first creates the original study on its hard drive, then migrates a mirror to the neXus database server."
Yup, at first it used to MOVE the case to the server, and if there was a failure on the server, then the case went puff. I had such a case go puff, and I made the recommendation to COPY the case to the server instead and leave the pristine copy back on the acquisition machine, ala Rembrandt. I see they finally coded my recommendation into the software.
somnonaut

Postby somnus diabolus » Tue May 07, 2013 11:06 pm

somnonaut wrote:"Restarting right after collection will not allow enough time for migration of the study."
Who said it was performed "right after". Of course one has to look at the screen to see if all migration has been completed. That is a simple task, as migration took approximately 5-10 minutes, and was finished well before the tech came back to the control room after unhooking the patient.

Being the first user in the U.S. with Grael back in 2010, I had to help them work out some of the bugs. One thing you can thank me for is:
"Every collection station that records the PSG first creates the original study on its hard drive, then migrates a mirror to the neXus database server."
Yup, at first it used to MOVE the case to the server, and if there was a failure on the server, then the case went puff. I had such a case go puff, and I made the recommendation to COPY the case to the server instead and leave the pristine copy back on the acquisition machine, ala Rembrandt. I see they finally coded my recommendation into the software.
I got the Grael Dec. '10 So you also had the screw in DC Data Logger box, right? That thing was awesome....no one said ever.
somnus diabolus

Postby bbdgriptonia » Tue May 07, 2013 11:26 pm

somnus diabolus wrote:I got the Grael Dec. '10 So you also had the screw in DC Data Logger box, right? That thing was awesome....no one said ever.

Ya i hate these damn Data Q's.

We first installed our Graels at the end of Oct of 2010, ran our first patients in nov. Just upgraded to 4 more Graels (Had E-Series before *UGH*).

Im not sure what you mean tho, Somnonaut, we have had the local mirror ability since 2009 witht hose blasted E-Series.

I would really like to know where that setting you are referring to that allows for migration during collection, that'd be swell :lol:
bbdgriptonia

Next

Return to Managing a Sleep Lab