Number of labs and beds for Medical Director

Moderators: TexasSleepguy, SCNVsleep, labman2

Number of labs and beds for Medical Director

Postby burchab1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:56 pm

If I am not mistaken.. the AASM says the medical director can over see a maximum of 3 centers or 20 beds. Which is first the centers or the beds. Our medical director is the director of 3 two bed labs and we are looking at obtaining 2 other two bed labs so we are way under the maximum of 20. Can anyone help? Thanks
burchab1

Postby burchab1 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:48 pm

To answer my own question it is a max of 3 labs and a max of 20 beds. So for anyone else who is interested, there ya go
burchab1

Postby cymri » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:04 pm

Actually the last sentence says the Med Dir can be in charge of as many labs as he wants as long as there are no more than 16 beds total. We ran into this at our last accreditation visit.

B-1 – Medical Director (MANDATORY)
AASM accredited sleep facilities must designate a single medical director who is
a physician with a license valid in the state of the facility and in all states in which
patients are seen. A copy of each state medical license must be submitted with
the application.
An individual can serve as medical director of three (3) sleep facilities, regardless
of their accreditation status. If an individual is medical director of more than three facilities, the total number of beds shall not exceed 16 beds.
cymri

Postby linuxgeek » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:15 pm

Actually, I read that as being unlimited beds if all contained within 3 sleep facilities. So 3 of 100-bed sleep labs is OK.
linuxgeek

Postby Vix » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:28 pm

I agree with you linux - however, I doubt that they actually intended it to mean that.
Vix

Re: Number of labs and beds for Medical Director

Postby Margaret Townsend » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:01 pm

Not only does AASM state this but so does Medicare. This is a catch twenty two. A Medical Director can be the Medical Director of up to three different labs. If there is a facility with five labs under the same name, then 16 beds, not twenty. Get the picture. If not, contact me and I will explain more
Margaret Townsend

Return to Managing a Sleep Lab