Blankets-bedding

Moderators: TexasSleepguy, SCNVsleep, labman2

Blankets-bedding

Postby dreamweaver333 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:35 am

I just took over as manager of a sleep lab. Have not been in this position before. After each patient we wash sheets in hot water. We have mattress & pillow covers which we spray with Cavicide. However, we use over & over, patient after patient, & do not wash or even spray them down. I think it is NASTY. We have washer/dryer in house & techs can do laundry during night.

I proposed getting blankets & throws (if blanket is not enough to keep pt warm), that will fit in our washer/dryer, so we can wash them in between patients. Have not heard anything back yet. Does not seem like a priority & I think it should be. If I could get some feedback on standards from you all, or if their our JACHO/AASM /infection control policies, it might give some teeth to my "suggestions."

Thanks!
dreamweaver333

Re: Blankets-bedding

Postby somnonaut » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:03 am

If those are consumer grade washer/dryer they are not qualified to clean healthcare linen.
somnonaut

Postby dreamweaver333 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:17 am

they are not consumer grade. any suggestions about comforters?
dreamweaver333

Postby dream » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:38 pm

You have to purchase washable blankets and wash them after every use like sheets. Reusing blankets is a huge violation of infection control policy.
dream

Postby zack » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:09 pm

I dont think there are specific guidelines for non-hospital healthcare laundry. I would think common sense says you should wash linen people touch but what do I know.

If you Google OSHA and Can Guidlines for laundry in a Healthcare setting you should find stuff about water temperature and pH levels.

Why aren't commercial grade washers good for Healthcare linen?
zack

Postby somnonaut » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:07 pm

zack wrote:I dont think there are specific guidelines for non-hospital healthcare laundry. I would think common sense says you should wash linen people touch but what do I know.

If you Google OSHA and Can Guidlines for laundry in a Healthcare setting you should find stuff about water temperature and pH levels.

Why aren't commercial grade washers good for Healthcare linen?

Not sure OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) would suit this situation. The linens are not for the workers.

As to your question.

Because they do not reach temp needed to satisfy cleaning standards. Its the same as why we cannot just clean CPAP equipment in a dishwasher versus a pasteurizer. There are standards for almost everything. Some tend look at it disparagingly as government intrusion into business and others like to look at it appreciably as standard of living.

http://www.hlacnet.org/standards.php
http://www.hlacnet.org/2011%20HLAC%20St ... 20Addr.pdf

Find a linen provider here.
http://www.linenservice.com/medical-linen/

Taking the totality of processing your own linen into account: Storage of dirty linen (sequestered space), room for qualified cleaning devices and supplies. Training of staff, staff performance of said duties. Down time due to equipment failure, etc. I bet you that you could build a case for using an outside service.

I know I am starting to think that way for ALL hookup supplies due to this from http://www.Rhythmlink.com http://www.rhythmlink.com/assets/site/a ... _Paper.pdf
somnonaut

Postby Sleepin'Nan » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:50 pm

We have nice bed spreads on the bed so the rooms look nice upon the patients arrival. The technicians remove the spread prior to the patient getting in the bed. We have a blanket on the bed the gets thats goes to laundry allong with the sheets, andd additional blanket upon request. For the most part this works well but it's not perfect. Occasionally a patient gets in the bed (even though they are instructed not too) prior to hook up and we end up sending the comforter to be cleaned. Sometimes the patient ask why they can't use it, most patients are fine with the explanation that we do not clean them between patients they are used for just to make the rooms appear more comfortable and home like...
Sleepin'Nan

Postby somnonaut » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:05 pm

I think anyone can get crazy trying to look at it as antiseptic, but you have to realize that they just sat in the waiting room chairs in the same cloths and you did not send the chairs out to be cleaned. There is a tradeoff. If they fall asleep and drool all over something, then yeah clean it, but if someone sits on the comforter, does it REALLY need to be cleaned? I mean you aren't in a sterile environment, heck you probably do not abide by TJC standards nor your local DOH standards. It is a free-standing lab, and IDTF lab, correct? I would worry about sheets, pillows. pillow cases and blankets. If you remove the comforter, that is good. If someone sits or even lays on it, it is not the end of the world.
somnonaut

Postby RPSGT2000something » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:24 pm

I've always found this topic interesting esp since working in mostly IDTFs where the techs are responsible for doing all the laundry. Having been through both AASM and ACHC site visits, nobody even questioned the way we wash our linen. They're just commercial washers/dryers too.

The biggest problem that I've observed is the patients who bring their own bedding into the lab. Who knows what their living conditions are like? Fleas? Lice? Bedbugs?
RPSGT2000something

Postby Jayhawkhenry » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:47 pm

At the minimum, IDTF's should try to follow their states regulations on hotels and B&Bs.
Jayhawkhenry

Postby Vix » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:40 pm

In my experience, the biggest concern the AASM has had is that you have a policy in place for disinfecting linen when necessary. In other words, if laundry is soiled with bodily fluids, you should have a process in place for bagging and laundering it separately and should have the appropriate chemicals on hand to add to the wash water, in addition to your regular detergent, to properly disinfect it.
Vix

Postby bduce » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:22 am

Tairneg
Perhaps you need to preface that you are speaking for your lab only - not for all of Australian labs.

In our lab (in Australia) all of the linens, including bedspreads, are removed and cleaned according to standard hospital requirements. The mattresses and pillows are covered so that they can be wiped down with Tuffie wipes in between patients. That being said, our lab is in a hospital and we a lot fo studies on patients with MRSA, VRE, MRAB etc.
bduce

Postby RayMeece » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:24 am

the question you gotta ask is this -- would you crawl in that bed and sleep on it with those sheets?

Go with an outsourced healthcare laundry service. That will resolve all these problems with OSHA, ACA, FBI, and whoever. LOL
RayMeece

Return to Managing a Sleep Lab