Polysomnographic Technology Diploma

Moderators: TexasSleepguy, SCNVsleep, labman2

Polysomnographic Technology Diploma

Postby dgb1891 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:44 pm

Does anyone here have any experience in dealing with schools that offer a Polysomnography program? The reason I ask is that I have a lady that applied for a position with us who has a diploma from one of these schools. She is questioning why she needs to take either her certification or registration still. She has been told by the school that this "diploma" is all she needs to perform tests. Am I mistaken in the fact that she stills needs to take either the CPSGT, RPSGT, or even the RST? Or, do I need to find a way to tell her nicely that she basically paid to skip three month training period and ASTEPS? I've never come across a person in this situation.

Thanks,
dgb1891
dgb1891

Re: Polysomnographic Technology Diploma

Postby respbarb » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:14 pm

You don't need to tell her she skipped anything. She was enrolled in a program that upon graduation made her eligible for the registry exam.
Her school probably didn't tell her that at all. One of their benchmarks would be how many of their graduates pass the exam on their first try, as well as find employment.
She should want to get credentialed as a way of ensuring she is hirable and can maintain employment. And that she has documented knowledge and skills.

You on the other hand as a potential employer may have standards as well. One of which would be certification/registry in our field.You can choose to only hire credential employees as a way of ensuring your sleep techs meet minimal standards. So yes, she needs a credential, if you think she does to be hired by your facility.

Our state (VA) passed a licensure law for polysomnographic technologists, which goes into effect Dec. 31. as of Jan. 1 2016 you must have a license to practice polysomnography. Eligibility pathways include a credential. This is happening in other states as well.

Nurses, RT'S, and other allied healthcare all graduate and then sit for their prospective boards and get that credential!
respbarb

Postby respbarb » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:17 pm

one other thing- tell her to just look at prospective jobs out there. everybody is looking for credential techs.
Introduce her to Binary Sleep. she find out real quick
respbarb

Postby somnonaut » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:19 pm

Is there any State mandate? That should put the issue to bed instantly. (pun intended)
somnonaut

Postby dgb1891 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:12 pm

No state mandate here. We just want our techs to be certified by the BRPT and then to go forward and earn the RPSGT.

Yes, I have explained to her that she is in the same situation that RT's, LPN's, RN's, etc. are in. That yes, she has graduated from a Ploysomnography program, but she still has to sit for her certification. I just feel bad that the school, to which she paid money, mislead her in allowing her to believe that this was all she needed to be a sleep technologist.
dgb1891

Postby respbarb » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:51 pm

Are you sure her school did that? Which school is this? Have you talked with anyone from her school? If her program made her eligible to sit for the exam, it is highly unlikely they told her she wouldn't need the credential her program made her eligible for.
respbarb

Postby rottiemama2003 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:18 pm

Some do hear what they want.
rottiemama2003

Postby dgb1891 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:45 pm

Is true that some hear what they want.

The school is a small career college in Memphis. I have called the school and spoken to the dean about this course. When I called, I was actually transferred to three different departments who didn't know how to help me. I was finally transferred to the dean's office. I got the feeling that they were all sitting in the same office and transferring me from one desk to another.

He stated that the school does tell the students that upon completing the course that they are then eligible to sit for the registration exam. He also stated that in Tennessee, where the school is located, that having this diploma allows the student to apply for a temporary license from the state while they wait to take their test so they can in fact work in a lab during that time frame. Apparently this is where the confusion came from.

I explained all of this to her and she seems more understanding of the confusion.
dgb1891

Postby somnonaut » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:20 am

So my question is affirmative. Tennesee DOES have a PSG license.
http://www.brpt.org/default.asp?contentID=266#T
somnonaut

Postby respbarb » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:16 am

dgb1891 wrote:
I explained all of this to her and she seems more understanding of the confusion.

Job well done
respbarb

Return to Managing a Sleep Lab