New Jersey Licensure

Moderators: TexasSleepguy, SCNVsleep, labman2

New Jersey Licensure

Postby jerzey devil » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:47 pm

For my fellow Joisyites.........................Is it in the EEG techs scope of practice to perform MSLTs/MWTs. I've trying to research but obviously haven't found anything. Administration wants to know TODAY and my sleep techs dont appreciate being scheduled on thier day off >eyeroll<
jerzey devil

Re: New Jersey Licensure

Postby somnonaut » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:55 pm

So scope of practice is:

http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/Statut ... phylaw.pdf

"Polysomnography" means the allied health specialty involving the treatment, management, diagnostic testing, research, control, education and care of patients with sleep and wake disorders under a qualified medical director and includes, but is not limited to, the process of analysis, monitoring and recording of physiologic data during sleep and wakefulness to assess, diagnose and assist in the treatment and research of disorders, syndromes and dysfunctions that either are sleep related, manifest during sleep or disrupt normal sleep and wake cycles and activities. Polysomnography shall also include the therapeutic and diagnostic use of oxygen, the use of positive airway pressure including CPAP and bi-level modalities, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, maintenance of nasal and oral airways that do not extend in the trachea, transcription and implementation of the written or verbal orders of a physician pertaining to the practice of polysomnography. Polysomnography shall not include a home based unattended self administered diagnostic test, provided that any test results shall only be read and analyzed by a licensed polysomnographic technologist or polysomnographic technician or a licensed physician. Polysomnography services shall be provided only when ordered by a physician who has medical responsibility for the patient."

MSLT?MET falls squarely into those parameters.
somnonaut

Return to Managing a Sleep Lab