Sleep Latency question

Moderator: strawberri

Sleep Latency question

Postby Alohamomma » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:12 am

Hi! I am new here...studying for my RPSGT. I dont understand a question in my Kettering book and I was wondering if anyone could help me. How do I calculate Sleep Latency without being given the epochs? The question is : Using the following Sleep Architecture calculate the Sleep Latency if Lights Out is 10:27 pm and Lights On is 7:31 am and the total recording time is 544 minutes.Chart I am given has Wake 95 min, N1 32 mi, N2 354 min, N3 16 min and R 47 min. Thank you for any help!
Alohamomma

Re: Sleep Latency question

Postby somnonaut » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:53 pm

Very good, you passed. lol
Of course you are correct.

You cannot determine sleep onset without knowing where lights off is and where the first epoch of sleep is, either in epochs or in time.
E.G.: LO @ 2227, First epoch of staged sleep appears @ 2307, Sleep latency = ??? min,
OR
LO @ epoch 168, First epoch of staged sleep sleep @ 178, Sleep latency = ??? min (hint: # epochs/2=min)

Just having the aggregate TST is not helpful in the temporal organization/development of sleep.

It sounds as if someone composing the book confused calculating Sleep Efficiency with Sleep latency.

What is the sleep efficiency and how does it differ from Sleep MAINTENANCE efficiency?

Can you calculate Sleep MAINTENANCE efficiency from the values you have?

If not, why not?

What is WASO?
somnonaut

Return to Sleep Education