Nurses Despise their Job and Salary! My sleep Decline

Moderator: labman2

Nurses Despise their Job and Salary! My sleep Decline

Postby Dcrazy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:43 am

Hi,

I have been posting on here every now and then( every 6 months ). I will get to the" Subject Topic Title " in a minute, I decided to write this before bed( time 3:25 A.M ). I started on this site writing about how I was interested in sleep a few years ago. I had my Associates degree in science, Taking Ap1 and 2, Medical Term, Occupational Therapy, etc. So, I stumbled on this board, and people were honest. At the time, it was 2013, and I really dove into sleep. So far, as I sat in on a conference for sleep with M.Ds talking. So much, that I peaked the interest of my own sleep doc, and he offered me an Internship, and also wanted me to do studies on a theory he had. The study was to be backed by grants. I expressed my interest in streamlining HST not as an antagonist, but as a better way, and incorporate my ideas for a sleep practice, involving patient data. Upon me talking, he expressed I was his " Worse Case" in sleep as a patient he has seen. I was dxed with Delayed Onset sleep disorder, this was also confirmed by the Cleveland Clinic( yes I took it that far, and got a second OP ). My doc expressed that it was strange that no amount of medication could sedate me. He then shut the door, and stated what Registered Techs make in the area. That's when the wheels started turning, and I being a patient, was now turning into a prospect( if you will ). I clearly defined my goals, and was aiming for the sleep boards( registered tech ) and nothing short of that. I needed over 500 clinicals hours to sit for the boards. I also had my doubts in sleep medicine, the pay, the viability, etc. I also shared concerns on HST, but I did reach out to someone who wrote an article in Sleep medicine. The person had their Masters in Informatics. I found out where they worked, and straight up called the individual. I thought the person had good ideas, but could get better. Good read anyway. He was taken at first, as he lived over 1,000 miles away haha. Then you can tell his staff in the background were gloating for him...as I spoke with a Non-Registered tech who answered the phones, where this individual worked. I even talked with their Lab Manager, they were exited for the person. So the individual was taken at first, but enjoyed that someone took the time in their 20s to call/hunt them down and a reader of an article published. ----I know I know, Nurses Despise their Job and Salary!....They do..I will get to that. This starts before that...sheesh.

I came on these boards, just like you all in the sleep field, but as an outsider. My brain is like a computer( even though I weight train..and may come off different ), and I analyze things to a point that it is good for studying or catching mistakes/errors and my love for stats, but bad..Paralysis by Analysis, and when you know everything, you know nothing..syndromes..and always wanting to know more and why. Any Type A's in the house? I was nervous about pay, boasting $21 an hour for a tech, in a region that is 10% below the national average in Salary compared to the average median income( 50% of the curve ). So, it paid good to start, considering the lower cost of living. But Idk, you guys would be a better judge if $21 an hour is good??? WAIT HERE COMES NURSING AND THE START OF THE TOPIC------

Some people on here recollected themselves in some of my writing( wanting to get into sleep and what seemed okay pay and hours at the time entering sleep ) and said with the classes I had, venture into Nursing as a more viable field. Well 2 things happened....How can I say this....My health failed. I had a bad reaction to a medication I took for 3.5 years, there was a new distributor, and all heck broke lose. In a nut shell, I caught the problem, I measured my own blood panels, my LH, FSH, DHT, Thyroid, and also noted my CBC Hemoglobin was getting higher. I also never mentioned on this board, I had another health issue, I almost died from it years back. Caused a TIA, and blood clot...both fully recovered from. Well, I delayed the internship....I went from 204lbs solid @ 5ft.8, to 177lbs. I met with the sleep doc several months later....he noted I was different, my demeanor( confidence ) etc was off. Internship was no longer...which was prob my mistake..I never realized how catty people are. I sent a note through his office, which went through his clerical...I always had a funny feeling they didn't like me..Almost idk weird feeling that I somehow was going to take a job from someone type feeling. All I wanted was to get hours to sit for my exam boards, and by doing so retro actively have to do the sleep research by the M.D. I was not trying to take a job. However, every time the M.D and I talked about his " Studies " or we exchanged " Ideas ", and we talked " Internship", he would shut his door, as if no one to hear it...idk if that makes sense...I just had this feeling of catty. However, nonetheless they hired someone( clerical ) and I passed messages through his staff, and a staff member said he didn't do internships, which was odd. So I sent another note....Finally I just went in, and that's when he seen me and said I looked different, which I did. ............So I thought about the advise of others, now I am 30..soon to be 31. Health Information popped in my head and Nursing.

I can tell you this, I talked to Nurses online....Guys and Gals...they were complaining more than some( most ) on here about their jobs and salaries. They felt like they get treated horrible, run down, and I'd say about 1/4 regretted ever going into the field. I know a lot on here, when I posted, wish they were nurses bc of viability, Pay, flex scheduling, good OT.....Nurses were disliking their jobs. I would say the other 1/4 felt under paid. It was almost as if, people were factory workers just working day to day for a grind to get a paycheck, but despised it. Some were looking into other fields. I don't know if I can drop another website...put it this way, a popular nursing website, if you go there.....horror stories. It was like they Despise their Job and salary! I know around here, a new grad can earn $26-30 an hour to start...I was also told me being male, puts me on the higher end of the scale, don't know if that is true. Also, the nurses were frustrated with co-workers and being catty( this was a theme ).Also most said there was better fields, and a lot of stress being a RN. So I was having my doubts about Nursing. It would take me 3 years to get Nursing( school forgot to attach my transcripts to my app, so I sit out the year ). The first year, knocking out all remainder science classes, so for the next two years and 4 months, I would just take 1 lecture and 1 clinical a day per week for 2 years and 4 months. One Lecture, clinical morning, 1 day a week each. I didn't think nurses thought that badly of their profession. If I was guessing, I would say, only about 25% liked their job. Salary and their job itself( among co-workers bumping heads ) was the major player. So to all those wishing they were Rn's....they want out, not all. However, if you polled 100,000...only 25,000 seemed to like their job. NP Nurse Practitioner ) school, would take me 18 months to complete after Nursing school( If I pursue Nursing ). I just thought I would share that Info with you guys, about nursing and their major board Opinions and view points. ......Sorry for the long write, but I thought you guys and gals should know alot of nurses Despise their job and salary...AKA what they do is not worth it. No Nurse Practitioners commented, it was R.Ns and B.S.N s

Your thoughts?
Dcrazy

Re: Nurses Despise their Job and Salary! My sleep Decline

Postby RayMeece » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:32 am

ummmm . sorry I am a night-time sleep tech and could not concentrate long enough to read all of this - I just skimmed.

What was your point in a nutshell?
RayMeece

Postby Midnight Rider » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:39 am

Nursing does give you more lateral moves and greater job availability no matter where you are in the U.S. It's one of the few jobs where you are nearly guaranteed employment after training and school. Pay is not bad and once you get into the specialty areas such as ARNP, Nurse Anesthetist, ER, Oncology, ICU, and Surgical you can command a comparatively heft income as opposed to RPSGTs. Problem is the burnout factor is high. I have a friend who's an ARNP working in the organ donation area. That specialty is well-known as a high-pressure, burnout field. If someone makes it 5 years or beyond doing this it's a rarity, at least according to the nurse I know. Also the higher you get on the nursing food chain the more difficult it is to get into a program. If only Sleep had half as many barriers of entry.
Midnight Rider

Postby RayMeece » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:00 am

Ok, now I get it. But there is not a burnout factor in sleep, is you can tolerate the night-time hours. In fact, I have been doing this for over 23 years, and probably will do it for the next 15 until I can retire.
RayMeece

Return to Salary Issues