Traveling techs

Moderator: labman2

Traveling techs

Postby RPSGT2000something » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:09 am

So I contacted one of the well known traveling companies and was surprised at what I was told. Traveling isn't what it used to be. Pay is now $15-23/hr depending on the assignment. I asked if they had any current assignments open that pay more than $20/hr and was told no. You still get a furnished apt but the benefits have gone way down compared to when I traveled eight years ago. Any travelers out there that care to chime in?
RPSGT2000something

Re: Traveling techs

Postby Sleepy in the South » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:02 am

The last traveling tech we had at our lab was in 2006. He was getting $38/hr plus free meals, car, hotel and airfare. I couldn't imagine what our hospital paid the traveling company to cover the 4 week stay he had.
Sleepy in the South

Postby RPSGT2000something » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:09 am

Sleepy in the South wrote:The last traveling tech we had at our lab was in 2006. He was getting $38/hr plus free meals, car, hotel and airfare. I couldn't imagine what our hospital paid the traveling company to cover the 4 week stay he had.

Do you know what traveling company he was working for? I doubt he was making that much and I highly doubt that he was getting free meals. I traveled for two different companies during that time and the pay was more like $25/hr plus furnished housing. I suppose it could be $38/hr but only if you include the free housing into that number. The good old days of traveling are over as there are lots more techs now. The hospital was likely paying about $50/hr for him. A 4 week contract should pay well though since that's a very short time to uproot yourself and move to a new city and then have to move again. I never accepted anything less than a 13 week assignment.
RPSGT2000something

Postby stage0 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:24 am

I need to know what companies are providing techs too. Please PM me.
stage0

Postby The Sleep Tech » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:53 am

Traveling for me is the same as it was 12 years ago when I started. In fact, I even have the same recruiter for my main gigs.

The short of it, is that if you have ALOT of experience, and a great record traveling, you can expect a take home of about 1200-1400 a week after taxes. I have worked with 3 different companies over the past 2 years and this is about average.

The key is to play with the numbers.

Hourly pay is taxed, housing, per diem, car allowance is not.

Maximize the subsidy and minimize your hourly income. All recruiters are willing to modify your contract to help you tax wise.
The Sleep Tech

Return to Salary Issues