NE PA payrate/ comparison

Moderator: labman2

NE PA payrate/ comparison

Postby Onesight1 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:23 am

18.00$/hr here in Northeastern PA

RPSGT/RST with 3 years in field...

I have no one to compare to. I feel its a little low.

Luckily I have infinite O/T so my gross income is ~45k

but seriously... 18/h decent? private lab. 2pt/1tech + score on fly and finalize paperwork......and clean rooms -_-
Onesight1

Postby MrBig » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:41 am

$18hr? Overtime to make 40k? Do you know how much they recieve for each study you do? It's a hell of a lot more than that....
MrBig

Postby Onesight1 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:12 am

I guess my private lab is a little cash poor.
Onesight1

Postby Onesight1 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:14 am

I got a nice bonus, I guess as a "keep working hard" gesture...

Im bringing this up on my next yearly evaluation...
Onesight1

Postby LadyCandy » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:50 am

MrBig wrote:$18hr? Overtime to make 40k? Do you know how much they recieve for each study you do? It's a hell of a lot more than that....

How much labs make on us is enough to make everyone want to open their own lab...hehe
LadyCandy

Postby tiredjohnny1 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:20 pm

LadyCandy wrote:
MrBig wrote:$18hr? Overtime to make 40k? Do you know how much they recieve for each study you do? It's a hell of a lot more than that....

How much labs make on us is enough to make everyone want to open their own lab...hehe

Probably not a good idea to think that way. The tests I have personally run in the last 12 months have generated over $600k for my bosses. I just have to think about my salary as a percentage of that, without any of the risks of a physician or business-owner. Still makes a person unhappy though when you think that you do almost the entirety of the work and receive such a small percentage of the earnings. Oh well, I imagine that complaint could be made by every person who works for someone else.
tiredjohnny1

Postby Onesight1 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:26 pm

I cant compare my wages in ratio to what the lab earns....

last time i checked, my lab brought in about 800-900k (without deducting bills/wages- things get very expensive)

I was merely wondering the payrate in comparison to other techs
Onesight1

Postby polysomnotech » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:51 pm

$18 is low in that area for your experience as an RPSGT/RST. There is more to consider than that of course, but that seems a little stingy. I made that over 10 years ago right after completing my training course, and before I qualified for the RPSGT exam. That was not too far from where you are describing your location is, and the other benefits were good too.
polysomnotech

Postby Midnight Rider » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:24 pm

Several things:

Are you in a rural area or larger city? I can tell you straight out that $18/hr for 3 years experience is not out of line in my part of the world. In fact it may very well be the only people getting hired in the midwest right now.

You'll hear the HR droids drone on and on about how they compensate for experience, then stutter and stammer about offering anything over $21/hr for 20+ years of experience. They may pay for experience and even education for some job classes but not sleep techs, not even seasoned RPSGTs.

Everyone owes themselves to know exactly what their facility charges for a psg or cpap trial. For one thing I've had patients ask me directly. They have a right to know what their procedure is costing. But I always add that their out of pocket cost will depend on their insurance.

But beyond that knowing how much you're contributing to the company/hospital coffers should give you a greater sense of self-worth as a professional. Because most of us are out of sight out of mind to the power brokers of our facilities it's easy for them to discount what we do from a fiscal standpoint. That is until the boys in the bean-counter room show how much $$$ a good lab will generate; keeping many a eeg/sleep or cardiovascular/sleep lab swimming in black ink. Without us the financial picture of both units would be vastly different.
Midnight Rider

Postby K-sey Complex » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:56 am

MrBig wrote:...Do you know how much they recieve for each study you do? It's a hell of a lot more than that....

Here's a better question: That lab you work for will get by just fine without you. Can you get by just fine without that lab?

I can name at least 15 techs that any lab would be lucky to have working for them. Most of them make less money than they could elsewhere.
Am I making enough money is a legitimate question but I'll take job security over another two dollars any day. Sleep techs are becoming a dime a dozen meanwhile plenty of sleep labs are closing shop. Do that math and a lower than average hourly wage will seem much more reasonable.

Over the last few years I've read people on this site spew garbage like "I wouldn't even consider work for less than $25 and hour." Even in the last year or two. I laughed at those naive statements when I read them but I don't see them being made anymore.... I wonder why???............... :-k
K-sey Complex

Postby somnonaut » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:29 am

There is the desire to hire newbies at less than $25/hr and then there is the ability to live with a family on $25/hr. It is when the two meet that is gets ugly. The people who have made those statements have either not taken those sleep jobs and moved out of the field, or have been offered higher paying jobs. I have turned down $27/hr as not being capable of covering my expenses. It is plain math. House, kids etc X hours available to work + capable salary or not.
If the overlords of the money really think the American worker is going to return to serfdom just so they can afford more multi-billion bonuses, they have a big surprise in store for them. There is a shit hurricane a-coming and it will not be pretty people. You cannot put Johnny back on the farm once he has been to the big city.
somnonaut

Postby K-sey Complex » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:16 pm

Well I get working to match your budget and not being able to accept a lower wage. I don't think that was the case with the statements I read but I don't know it as fact. Unable and unwilling are two different things. It was the jaded attitude that these $25 per hour jobs are readily available and those days are gone. Those holding out for those wages might be involuntarily waiting themselves into another line of work.

I once said that there was such a thing as an irreplaceable tech but that was a naive statement. Not true at all. And the suitable replacement will work for less.
K-sey Complex

Postby TexasSleepguy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:11 am

The days of the 25 an Hr is all but gone., the impending changes and medicare calling the shot on reimbursables Labs and Hospitals are looking and going with lower wage earners.
Get hold to a position dig in your heels and hang on for dear life. Its going to get really ugly folks.
TexasSleepguy

Postby Onesight1 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:54 am

TexasSleepguy wrote:The days of the 25 an Hr is all but gone., the impending changes and medicare calling the shot on reimbursables Labs and Hospitals are looking and going with lower wage earners.
Get hold to a position dig in your heels and hang on for dear life. Its going to get really ugly folks.

Well, if that's the case then I'm safe where I am at.

If I lose my job, its because this place went under.

(luckily I start school this summer for PA-C.... so as long as I'm here safe for another 5-6 years)
Onesight1

Postby dreampolice » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:02 pm

There are labs closing around us left and right, it seems that you have to be grateful to have a job at all. Unfortunately, these companies know it. We haven't gotten raises in a couple of years, but our work load increases as the management tells us that there are plenty of unemployed techs out there who would be happy to have our jobs. I have seriously considered trying another state.
dreampolice

Next

Return to Salary Issues