Wages being pushed down....

Moderator: labman2

Wages being pushed down....

Postby MrBig » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:28 am

The more folks keep accepting these positions that are paying low, the more positions will pay low. Makes sense, right? So don't be afraid to stand your ground and negotiate.
MrBig

Postby o0rangeo » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:15 pm

I know of some IDTF that only hire un-reg techs. They do the same work for less. They do have ONE RPSGT on staff, but that's it. I know of some others that have run into that same boat. They've been past up for positions to a psg tech. Now, IMO if this keeps up and becomes the norm, then sleep is trouble. There will be less people doing quality work and who suffers? ...the patients...not the Drs, the patients. :evil:
o0rangeo

Postby K-sey Complex » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:40 pm

Yes so all you hundreds of new, no-experience techs coming out of these two year degree programs walk away when you are offered a job at a rate lower than someone else thinks you should get. Remain jobless for the greater good so those who make more than you ever will keep their high wage at your expense. Thank you for your continued support.
K-sey Complex

Postby o0rangeo » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:23 pm

Damn skippy! :wink:
o0rangeo

Postby somnonaut » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:19 pm

K-sey Complex wrote:Yes so all you hundreds of new, no-experience techs coming out of these two year degree programs walk away when you are offered a job at a rate lower than someone else thinks you should get. Remain jobless for the greater good so those who make more than you ever will keep their high wage at your expense. Thank you for your continued support.

Oh stop it. There is a point where the "rate" is below the standard of living and people are really just scraping the bottom of the barrel (price wise) to keep their costs as low as possible regardless of the quality. The people who run toward the bottom deserve to be there. If you OPT to accept that salary, then shut up and don't complain about it.
somnonaut

Postby K-sey Complex » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:57 pm

somnonaut wrote: If you OPT to accept that salary, then shut up and don't complain about it.

Well I'll agree with you there. Yes I'm being a little facetious but it's the field that's changing. Just like the economy. People will take anything over nothing.
K-sey Complex

Postby rip van winkle » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:52 pm

K-sey Complex wrote:
somnonaut wrote: If you OPT to accept that salary, then shut up and don't complain about it.

Well I'll agree with you there. Yes I'm being a little facetious but it's the field that's changing. Just like the economy. People will take anything over nothing.

Very valid points... its an employers market and if ya try and negotiate with them they very easily can move on to the next one in line.

I hear ya Mr. Big on your point. easier said then done for many of us the way the market is, at least in my area.
rip van winkle

Postby rip van winkle » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:55 pm

The people who run toward the bottom deserve to be there. If you OPT to accept that salary, then shut up and don't complain about it.[/quote]

Not always the case, unless i took it out of context.
rip van winkle

Postby rip van winkle » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:56 pm

The people who run toward the bottom deserve to be there. If you OPT to accept that salary, then shut up and don't complain about it.[/quote]

Not always the case, unless i took it out of context.
rip van winkle

Postby burchab1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:37 pm

Just a reminder, the reason for pay dropping may have something to do with insurances lowering their reimbursments and costs are going up. Not to mention the number of registered technologists are going up. Many of the people coming out of the new 2 year programs were not employed by a sleep center when they started so we are seeing 20 or so new techs a year in our area when there are not enough jobs to employ them all. Supply and demand.
burchab1

Postby tcr104 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:21 pm

Anyone here ever read "The Grapes of Wrath?"

There's a reason the classics are classics :)
tcr104

Postby jzzzs » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:32 pm

o0rangeo wrote:-, then sleep is trouble.

Newsflash: it's already in trouble
jzzzs

Postby Rocklandish » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:24 pm

jzzzs wrote:
o0rangeo wrote:-, then sleep is trouble.

Newsflash: it's already in trouble

Oh no the sky is falling the sky is falling. :roll: :wink: :lol:
Rocklandish

Postby Rocklandish » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:28 pm

Since no one else will ask: What is too low? If there is a too low what is the high. If we are asking newer techs not to take lower salaries at what point do we say it is enough. I mean how can we tell the newer techs to hold out for the sake of everyone and continue to chase the apple of greed for personal reasons?

Can't be a bottom without a top.
Rocklandish

Postby Midnight Rider » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:40 am

No one really can tell n00bs to refuse to take a lower wage. Only the individual knows if they can make a go of it @ a wage like $14-15/hr.

But this reduction in wages should come as no surprise. Yeah reimbursements are down. Labs are hurting. The gravy days look to be over. For all that we stress about technical accuracy in our jobs Sleep as a whole has always been about a race to the bottom.
Midnight Rider

Next

Return to Salary Issues