Bright at Medicine, Dumb at Money

Moderator: labman2

Bright at Medicine, Dumb at Money

Postby rocklin@NYC » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:55 pm

As my MedTel business partner and I were planning our itinerary for the spectacular CES orgy in Las Vegas, the talk turned to doctors and money.

Alan thinks most doctors are just too stupid (or stuck in their ways) to ever see people as valuable investments, instead of annoying expenses.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

He was relating to me some real horror stories he had seen in the field.

Some were so outrageous, cruel and just plain dumb, that I was shaking my head in both astonishment and laughter.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

But Alan is a very tough, cynical New Yorker, and the medical practices we deal with are all currently located in tough, cynical New York.

And those practices are mostly run by the great white sharks that are high-income cardio and pulmonary docs in Manhattan

Surely, it has to be a lot gentler out in the boonies?

When I spy out-of-towners visiting here, they almost seem to be moving and talking in slow motion.

So many of them seem, well, relaxed, and I figure that just has to be so on the business end.

Or did you see something this year (or at any time I guess) that made the hair stand up on the back of your neck?

If we gave them the proper training, would they change their ways?

Or is like trying to teach a pig to sing?

Cheers and a Happy New Year,

roc

rocklin@NYC

Postby somnonaut » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:05 pm

Just remember, the shark can be taken down by the playful porpoise. Sharks only serve one purpose, and yes, if in the right context it is good to be a shark evolutionarily, but in other contexts, it may not be good. Depends on the selection pressures. Medicine is turning back to the caring field it started as, and not to the money hungry business it has been forced to be over the last 30-40 years. So, to be a shark now, may not actually be the correct evolutionary advantage one may think.
somnonaut

Return to Salary Issues