New York City/ Long Island Salaries

Moderator: labman2

New York City/ Long Island Salaries

Postby tj2012 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:50 pm

Hello all,

Recently I attended a information session at a local college about their RPSGT program. Id like some objective realistic salary expectations from independent sources. I was told by the workers from the program that upon graduation I could expect to make on a full time basis anywhere from $25 to $32 dollars per hour in the New York Long Island area.

I was also told there is a "high demand" for registered sleep techs and finding a job right upon graduation or even before was very realistic.

Can anyone please advise if this is the case. I'm primarily seeking full time work with paid medical benefits. This is a total career change for me and would be a big investment just to take all the pre requisites required and the course itself. Id like to see if its "all worth it".

Thanks for your input. It would be greatly appreciated!
tj2012

Postby labman2 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:00 pm

I think the salary range is reasonably accurate. But i am a little suspect of the jobs being as promising as described- at least at reputable facilities on Long Island right now. Oxford insurance as well as others appear to be pushing harder for home studies which may reduce the metro area need for night techs in the near future. Feel free to PM me if i can be of further assistance. I would be happy to assist you in whatever manner i can. Good luck!
Labman2
labman2

Postby somnonaut » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:31 am

TJ was this class in Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Nassau, or Suffolk or other county. Unless you wish to name the school?
somnonaut

Postby tiredjohnny1 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:46 am

The only accredited program in that area is Stoney Brook University. Thats probably the one hes talking about.
tiredjohnny1

Postby somnonaut » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:55 pm

There are other non-accredited venues, I was just wondering.
somnonaut

Postby tj2012 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:12 pm

Thanks for the fast replies.

Yes the University was Stony Brook.

I was browsing various health career ads at different long island hospitals

I noticed quite a few nursing openings however they seem to all be "part time". I imagine that if you are hired as a part timer, you don't receive medical benefits among other perks

Is this also the trend with sleep techs?
tj2012

Postby somnonaut » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:22 am

Yes it is. As long as people keep voting against their best interest and keep the traitor Republicans in office you can rest assured your ability to have freedom of employer will forever be out of our reach as big business wish to always keep a choke hold over the employees, as witnessed by the scumbag in Wisconsin.
somnonaut

Welcome!

Postby labman2 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:08 am

:roll: Um.... TJ... Say hello to Uncle Somno! He gets cranky at various times and this appears to be such a time! :lol:
labman2

Postby stars » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:01 am

Yes labman. "Uncle Somno! He gets cranky " Little as usually but I think he just back normal election mood to bit Republicans This just Uncle Somno. Take it easy. See what' s coming in Oct and Noverber
stars

Postby Danson » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:09 pm

Im a grad of the stony brook program 2012 and i just passed my registry last month. Currently looking for full part time. I have found some per diem work but thats all as of right now.

As for the stony brook program its very good, professors are great at what they do.
Danson

Re: New York City/ Long Island Salaries

Postby #42dreamweaver » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:06 am

Apply Now

Email A Friend

Job Posting Number: 15-15724
Job Title: Supervisor Sleep Studies
Department: Sleep Laboratory

Area of Interest: Other - Clinical

Area of Practice: Other

City: Garden City

State: New York

Position Status: Full Time

Standard Weekly Hours: 37.50

Shift Start Time: 07:00 PM
Shift End Time: 07:30 AM
Working Days: Varies
Weekend Requirement: Rotational Weekends

Job Description:
The Sleep Study Supervisor is responsible for the smooth operations of the Sleep Center as well as staff scheduling, evaluations, and competencies. Ensures that study scoring turnaround time is maintained according to departmental standards.

Minimum Requirements:
Education: Associate’s degree Sleep, Respiratory Neurodiagnostic, Electroencephalagraphy (EEG,) or related field required

Licensure:Registered Polysomnographic Technologist (RPSGT) by Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologists (BRPT) required

Experience: 3- 5 years Polysomnographic Technologist required. 1- 2 years Supervisory or Management preferred.

Skills: Excellent communication (both oral and written) analytical, customer service, and problem solving skills; Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office required.
#42dreamweaver

Re: New York City/ Long Island Salaries

Postby somnonaut » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:08 am

You funny 42.
somnonaut

Return to Salary Issues