Tech work by contract rate instead of hourly pay.

Moderator: labman2

Tech work by contract rate instead of hourly pay.

Postby NightOwlRPSGT » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:58 am

I had an idea, and I'm needing to know if its possible. I have little knowledge of insurance requirements and the business side of sleep labs.

I work for a IDTF that supplies technicians to hospitals in the area. The main hospital I work at bills for the study, and then the company I work for gets paid a contract rate per study, and as would be expected I get paid hourly, a small fraction of what the company is paid. My company just acts as a middleman collecting money while making no service contribution. The hospital is too small to hire a full time technician directly. However, I wonder if it is permissable for an individual to do as the company I am working for is doing. So instead of my company having the contract with the hospital, myself under an LLC having a contract with the hospital and getting paid per study as opposed to hourly. In doing so I would also be able to offer more than just running the studies as I currently do, such as taking care of paperwork, patient communication, reffering and interpreting Dr. communication, and Marketing, which would make the deal attractive to the hospital. Seems like it could work, but is there any catch anywhere that would not make it possible? Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks
NightOwlRPSGT

Postby somnonaut » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:14 am

If one company can contract, then another one can also.
The setup you describe is problematic for CMS patients, in that the billing entity (hospital) MUST have the technician as an employee, not a contract worker. So, if you are not doing CMS patients, then you are good to go, unless a private insurer has a similar stipulation.
somnonaut

Postby linuxgeek » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:20 pm

I think it's always a good idea to look at it from each person's/entity's perspective before moving forward.

For instance, do you need other work from the IDTF if this deal doesn't go your way?

The IDTF may be thinking that this is a method to keep their workforce employed beyond the lab's studies. Of course they are also making a handome profit as well. Is the IDTF supplying the equipment, or is the hospital? The IDTF will surely think that they had to put effort into getting this deal done, and likely won't be happy by being undermined. Just imagine being the IDTF owner as well, and be prepared how you would perceive your actions from their perspective. You would now be a competitor and anyone in their right mind would not give you work again. Again, just be prepared for that aspect. You would likely be fired for offering your services to the hospital separately, if discovered.

The hospital might require their contractor to carry insurance. Do the hospital and the IDTF owners have a cozy relationship? Do the people at the hospital see you as more important than the IDTF? The hospital might like the fact that they are not reliant on one person.
linuxgeek

Re: Tech work by contract rate instead of hourly pay.

Postby Sleepe1 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:41 pm

NightOwlRPSGT wrote:I had an idea, and I'm needing to know if its possible. I have little knowledge of insurance requirements and the business side of sleep labs.

I work for a IDTF that supplies technicians to hospitals in the area. The main hospital I work at bills for the study, and then the company I work for gets paid a contract rate per study, and as would be expected I get paid hourly, a small fraction of what the company is paid. My company just acts as a middleman collecting money while making no service contribution. The hospital is too small to hire a full time technician directly. However, I wonder if it is permissable for an individual to do as the company I am working for is doing. So instead of my company having the contract with the hospital, myself under an LLC having a contract with the hospital and getting paid per study as opposed to hourly. In doing so I would also be able to offer more than just running the studies as I currently do, such as taking care of paperwork, patient communication, reffering and interpreting Dr. communication, and Marketing, which would make the deal attractive to the hospital. Seems like it could work, but is there any catch anywhere that would not make it possible? Anyone have any thoughts?Thanks

Tread lightly. What you are considering has consequences and although it is a business plan that can work all of the things mentioned and more must be evaluated.
Sleepe1

Postby NightOwlRPSGT » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:05 am

Thank you for the responses. Something to be very cautious about.

Somnonanaut: What is a CMS patient?
NightOwlRPSGT

Postby Vix » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:15 am

A CMS patient is one who has medicare or medicaid.
www.cms.gov
Vix

Postby NightOwlRPSGT » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:52 am

Somnonaut:

Are you saying that no billing entity is allowed to contract out the tech work for medicare/medicaide patients? I see that done all the time.
NightOwlRPSGT

Postby somnonaut » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:06 pm

Drop a dime. It is not the way CMS says they want their structure to be for those that bill CMS.
somnonaut

Postby linuxgeek » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:55 pm

somnonaut wrote:Drop a dime.

I'm not sure that everyone will understand this reference nowadays.

But my opinion and 35 cents will buy you a cup of coffee. :wink:
linuxgeek

Postby somnonaut » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:09 pm

And that, 50 cents will get you on the subway.
:wink:
somnonaut

Postby somnonaut » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:11 pm

For others..."Drop a dime" means make a phone call, as pay phones used to cost 10 cents. Though even the usage of "cents" is no more. Like the symbol ¢
somnonaut

Well

Postby labman2 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:32 pm

Mmmmm Back in the Bronx.... "Drop a dime" was something that pot smokers/dealers did when the cop car turned the corner on patrol! :lol:
labman2

Postby somnonaut » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:28 pm

I thought that was "drop a load" from being so scared. :shock:
somnonaut

Postby somnus diabolus » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:34 am

What's a pay phone? Haha, just kidding, but you know that question is coming
somnus diabolus

Postby LadyCandy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:25 am

No one in this field is too young to remember pay phones - you old coots!
LadyCandy

Next

Return to Salary Issues