Really?

Moderator: labman2

Really?

Postby RPSGT88athome » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:37 am

So I recently interviewed a candidate for a night tech job (RPSGT). As the conversation went along the candidate told me he/she was unemployed, had limited transportation and instead of measuring and marking heads with the 10/20 system just put on the electrodes "because I know where they go." The person also could not remember what brand sleep system he/she was originally trained on. This person told me he/she would not work for less than $**/hr.

OK. I always pay more than $**/hr. However, this person is UNEMPLOYED WITH LIMITED TRANSPORTATION AND DOES NOT MARK HEADS....(I just had a small seizure saying that.)

You know, if I was unemployed I would be working my ASS off for whatever I could get. I am truly amazed some of these people demand certain wages when they are unemployed. Who would rather sit home broke than work for real money? I just do not understand it.

I started in this field with a BS degree plus a 1 year college diploma in electroneurodiagnostics. I started at $11.50/hr and was happy to get it.

I just can't shake the audacity of someone 100% unemployed and broke to be making demands. I pay good wages! But you would rather bend my arm making demands when you are unemployed? Perhaps you are unemployed for a reason.

RPSGT88
RPSGT88athome

Postby stars » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:58 am

Look like with really limited memory and limited skill you can offer limited
pay as well
stars

Postby LadyCandy » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:06 am

I'm employed with reliable transportation and mark heads like a boss...just sayin 8)

Wow - interviewing for jobs just became so much easier after that story!
LadyCandy

Postby somnus diabolus » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:50 am

LadyCandy wrote:I'm employed with reliable transportation and mark heads like a boss...just sayin 8)

Wow - interviewing for jobs just became so much easier after that story!
You don't mark heads like me. Lol
somnus diabolus

Postby lil_miss_sleeptech » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:00 pm

I'm not surprised said individual is unemployed....
lil_miss_sleeptech

Postby Gizmo » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:49 am

I know a RPSGT who says that he will not work weekends, period. That means he will not work Fri, Sat, or Sun night.

I'll work whatever is needed and can't imagine putting such stipulations on a possible employer!
Gizmo

Postby somnolencia » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:56 am

I had someone tell me that they passed the RPSGT exam so that clearly means they are a good tech and can do the job.

I would just like to let that sit with all of you for a moment...
somnolencia

Techs-Newbies-Vets

Postby TexasSleepguy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:31 pm

Passing the test is a good place to start.. that is when the fun begins (insert sarcasim here).
When I started in sleep in 88-89 my pay was thru the roof! I was making $7.50 an hr and thought I hit the mother load. I soon found out it was actually low-ish.
TexasSleepguy

Postby cloverdizzle » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:37 am

I remember the poly-g days. I think we got $100 a night in 90s.
cloverdizzle

Postby somnonaut » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:46 am

Did anyone ever get reimbursed for a Sleep IT study?
somnonaut

Postby Sleepin'Nan » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:14 pm

Sounds like this person knows how to work the system. I have encounterd canidates for positions before who also make outrageous comments/request... Very often they are just meeting the requiremnts of applying for jobs (and obvioulsy not getting them) so they can continue to receive unemployment. Their song changes real quick when that runs out.
Sleepin'Nan

Postby Rwh520 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:29 am

Hahaha. I find this post very amusing. I have been an employee for a very un-organized, private company for roughly 6 months. I have never measured any area when applying leads using the 10-20 system. Hell, I am not even certified. I finished the A-Step modules and currently procrastinating sending off my CPSGT application to my companies headquarters to sign me off the x amount of hours I've worked (450ish hours)? Anyway, I just find it amazing how unprofessional this company is, and i cannot wait until I am certified and find employment elsewhere.
Rwh520

Postby tiredjohnny1 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:49 pm

You can always be professional regardless of the attitudes of your bosses or employers. And by the way, for the sake of patients please measure heads and follow best practices. Youre dealing with people's lives and health. If you fail at helping a patient when its actually a part of your job responsibilities, who is being unprofessional? Perhaps you should stay employed at this company since you reflect their attitude.
tiredjohnny1

Postby Rwh520 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:01 pm

tiredjohnny1 wrote:You can always be professional regardless of the attitudes of your bosses or employers. And by the way, for the sake of patients please measure heads and follow best practices. Youre dealing with people's lives and health. If you fail at helping a patient when its actually a part of your job responsibilities, who is being unprofessional? Perhaps you should stay employed at this company since you reflect their attitude.

Perhaps I should have been trained properly so i could actually do my job in the correct fashion.
Rwh520

Postby tiredjohnny1 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:04 am

Rwh520 wrote:
tiredjohnny1 wrote:You can always be professional regardless of the attitudes of your bosses or employers. And by the way, for the sake of patients please measure heads and follow best practices. Youre dealing with people's lives and health. If you fail at helping a patient when its actually a part of your job responsibilities, who is being unprofessional? Perhaps you should stay employed at this company since you reflect their attitude.

Perhaps I should have been trained properly so i could actually do my job in the correct fashion.

Well you've come to the right place. There is no better resource for techs than this forum. And yes, we should be trained properly. However, it is always up to us as individuals to take ownership of our education. If no one is training us, then we must take the initiative to learn on our own. Many techs spend their time watching tv, internet, etc. Some techs actually take time to learn more about their chosen field and how to be better techs. The search function on this site is invaluable. Strawberri and Rock can give you educational items if you request it. And ask many questions here. Also, if you post the state you work in, perhaps some techs in that state would offer to assist you. If you are in Florida, contact me. No matter what, fulfilling your responsibilities to your patients and ensuring your own success cannot be left up to others.
tiredjohnny1

Next

Return to Salary Issues