EEG or not? are you techs happy?

Moderator: labman2

EEG or not? are you techs happy?

Postby Eegtobe » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:58 am

Hi all! I was recently accepted into an EEG program. I decided to defer because I wasn't sure it was what I wanted & I have family medical issues that need support. I also worked in a hospital with EEG techs & EMU monitoring. all of the techs seemed stressed out & unhappy-i do realize it could just be the setting.
After deferring, I recently was lucky enough to get a job in my former career. While the new job is going ok, I am am now finding myself wondering if I have made a mistake in deferring. I think about the impact I had in helping people, and some days I feel empty with my work.
I guess I just don't know enough about other aspects of the career, but in the experience i had it seems limiting-perhaps it isn't? Can any of you techs out there tell me if you are happy at your job? What are your hours like? Do you do call? Do any of you ever work 12 hour shifts? Do any of you work for a doctors office?
Eegtobe

Postby Mairi2 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:48 pm

Since this is a site for sleep techs, you might be better served by going ASET.org and seeing if there's a forum for EEG techs. Personally, I worked 6 months as an EEG tech and close to 30 years now as a sleep tech - I found it much more fulfilling.
Mairi2

Postby Amykr » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:18 pm

EEG and sleep are two different animals. I believe that many of the EEg techs are stressed out due to staffing issues. I have been to the ASEt conference and have the privileged of teaching a college program and I can say that having visited the clinical sites they are about testing and not necessarily education and treatment so the mindset is different.
Amykr

Postby Sleepy in the South » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:34 am

I also think that EEG techs get stressed because of staffing. We have one FT EEG tech and he does inpatient/outpatient EEGs, evoked potentials and intraoperative monitoring. Most often times he's here when I clock in at 7pm and back to work at 0630. They finally hired another PT be he's still here late at night.
Sleepy in the South

Return to Salary Issues