Salary issues- more to it. Future student

Moderator: labman2

Salary issues- more to it. Future student

Postby Dcrazy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:48 am

Hi,

I have posted before. I could get into sleep within a pathway, yes RPSGT credential. As most I would shoot for the new RST. My experience is in exercise and fitness. I have overcome a lot, yes upper twenties. I wll keep this post on topic, however, I have overcome a lot( for my education and health ). Let's just say I almost died twice, and lost muscle mass. The last thre years I gained over 60+ back, and earned an associates degree. Actually between a B.S and an associates- with some credentials in fitness and rehab.
To my question guys and gals. I am nervous about sleep as a field of study. I would pursue a B.S in health information or public Health. Then a possible M.S in Biology. Those aspirations aside, cause I say that with a warming heart b/c me of all people know nothing is guaranteed in life. My question is do you expect sleep salaries to go up? I say this b/c of license not registry hitting the sleep community. Plus there is a B.S in charlotte, and more A.S sleep programs popping up. So salary with higher education? Also, does anyone make more with more credentials RST and RPSGT combined, not just RPSGT, my guess is no lol. Anyway, I know it's not all about money, but investing time and money to earn money has to be a factor.

Sorry for all the q's...just wondering with education standards up- and I will prob have a B.S soon, and more sleep credentials RST with RPSGT, plus license in certain states...vs....if true- lower reimbursement rates within the field and ehmm home sleep studies. However, won't labs abdapt to HST? Anyway HST is off topic.

Thanks
Dcrazy
Member
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:54 pm

Postby #42dreamweaver » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:53 pm

get your R.N. or RRT, i personally would lean towards the R.N., al kinds of oppurtunities with an R.N. license.
User avatar
#42dreamweaver
Senior Member
 
Posts: 673
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:37 am

Postby tiredjohnny1 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:52 pm

If you have decided to get a Masters go to PA school.
User avatar
tiredjohnny1
Senior Member
 
Posts: 929
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:58 pm
Location: Florida

Postby Dcrazy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:17 am

#42dreamweaver wrote:get your R.N. or RRT, i personally would lean towards the R.N., al kinds of oppurtunities with an R.N. license.


Hi, Thanks for the response. However, what led me to sleep was my own patterns are off and have been for years. So that naturally got me interested. I also have a distant person I know who is a sleep tech and was making 21.00 in my area. I think $22 for shift diff. Either way, she is trying to get into PA school. Either way, my patterns have been off ans stuck. I was asking about the field of sleep and the q's. I know R.N had many possibilities. However, sleep field is wired towards me. Already have taken A&P 1 and 2, medical term, etc.
Dcrazy
Member
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:54 pm

Postby #42dreamweaver » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:43 pm

Get your R.N, theyll let you work in the sleep lab. And if your patterns ever straighten out, youll have more luck getting a day job.
User avatar
#42dreamweaver
Senior Member
 
Posts: 673
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:37 am

Postby MrBig » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:06 am

In the not so distant future, there wont be many of us left in labs, IMHO. Jobs will be thin. Have you looked into EEG? You can do a certificate program in 12 months and take the REEGT exam.
User avatar
MrBig
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:57 pm
Location: New Atlantis

Postby Dcrazy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:56 pm

MrBig wrote:In the not so distant future, there wont be many of us left in labs, IMHO. Jobs will be thin. Have you looked into EEG? You can do a certificate program in 12 months and take the REEGT exam.


Yeah I looked at EEG programs. There are none around me. There are distant with some loop holes to jump through. Also, just given that I just need to do a little over 500 clinical hours to sit for the registry....I didn't know if it was worth it. Again among q's above are labs adapting to HST? Also, my above concerns/q's. My sleep cycle has been a night owl or about a decade.
Dcrazy
Member
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:54 pm

Postby #42dreamweaver » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:29 pm

Son let me give you some advice, and its all from experience....... when i first got into sleep, i said the same things. I'm a night owl, this is something I can do for a while........... 12 years later, im almost 40 and working nights has taken a toll on me. I missed out on a lot of my kids growing up, am always tired, have wierd sleep patterns and on and on. Yes, some people, although very few, like nights and do it for a career. Most of us, probably like 99% do it because we need to for school, for child care, because we have no other choice. Now it seems like you have your mind set on being a sleep tech so you probably wont listen to anything I have to say, but I'll say it anyway. Becoming an RT or RN will allow you to work as a sleep tech and also afford you other oppurtunities.
User avatar
#42dreamweaver
Senior Member
 
Posts: 673
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:37 am

Postby Dcrazy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:39 am

MrBig wrote:In the not so distant future, there wont be many of us left in labs, IMHO. Jobs will be thin. Have you looked into EEG? You can do a certificate program in 12 months and take the REEGT exam.


Yes I did look into a END program. See here is my problem, as discussed with the program coordinator, it's not my grades. It's my location, and my sleep pattern. Honestly, look at the time I am replying. This is my typical pattern of sleep, mind you with medication used off label to sedate( yes by a doctor ). So doing an R.N right now is out of the question. Also, EEG was a quote slim chance b/c getting through school with my patterns of sleep. I also weight train for mass, so it's not inactivity. I feel stuck because I even have nurses come up to me and are shocked at what I had in my head. I was explaining immunology, megakaryocytes and T and B cells to someone, and also the pituitary gland( anterior ) and it's axis on Testosterone from LH and FSH and how ppl abuse supplements it blunts natural signals. The nurse looked at me and was blown away. I thought this was common knowledge at very least for nurses.

Anyway, so yes I have looked at EEG and LTM. However, again look at the time of my response now. So it brings me back to the questions of the area of sleep. If you guys can help on that topic.
Dcrazy
Member
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:54 pm

Postby Dcrazy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:49 am

#42dreamweaver wrote:Son let me give you some advice, and its all from experience....... when i first got into sleep, i said the same things. I'm a night owl, this is something I can do for a while........... 12 years later, im almost 40 and working nights has taken a toll on me. I missed out on a lot of my kids growing up, am always tired, have wierd sleep patterns and on and on. Yes, some people, although very few, like nights and do it for a career. Most of us, probably like 99% do it because we need to for school, for child care, because we have no other choice. Now it seems like you have your mind set on being a sleep tech so you probably wont listen to anything I have to say, but I'll say it anyway. Becoming an RT or RN will allow you to work as a sleep tech and also afford you other oppurtunities.


I truly understand what you are saying. I have looked at R.N programs, even END programs. However, look at the time I am responding, this is my typical sleep pattern while on on medication used off label( yes by a doc ) to help sedate. So with talking with an END coordinator( as a reply above ) it's a slim chance even on EEG b/c of my location and sleep patterns. I like helping people. I do. However, the above main topic q's I had on sleep if you can help b/c your years of experience. Also, an END coordinator mentioned dental sleep....I do understand R.N or at least EEG tech gives you more hats to wear so to speak.
Dcrazy
Member
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:54 pm

Postby MrBig » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:34 pm

I think you just need a sleep study.
User avatar
MrBig
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:57 pm
Location: New Atlantis

Postby Dcrazy » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:31 am

MrBig wrote:I think you just need a sleep study.


I actually thought about it before lol. However, can anyone help with the above q's in relation to being a registered tech.

Thanks.
Dcrazy
Member
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:54 pm

Postby IsntMentToLast » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:26 am

I am new here but I figured ill give you my two sense because im going through the same thing.

Im about to graduate in May, and around here there is nothing, job listing wise. Many of the labs around here don't have enough patients to be open the 6 nights a week they are supposed to. They are also forcing tech to do 3:1 on nights they are working. As the health care system is doing what ever the hell its doing, the sleep techs are getting screwed. The wage/ hr MAY go up, but the hours will be cut, right now in my area the techs are lucky to get a full pay check.

If your gung ho about sleep like I was, I definitely recommend adding to it. Im going to start my bachelors in Neuro-diagnostic and Sleep Science in the fall, so that I have a fighting chance when the whole sleep field goes to crap.
IsntMentToLast
Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:13 am
Location: north carolina

Postby truckerdave1970 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:05 am

IsntMentToLast wrote:I am new here but I figured ill give you my two sense because im going through the same thing.

Im about to graduate in May, and around here there is nothing, job listing wise. Many of the labs around here don't have enough patients to be open the 6 nights a week they are supposed to. They are also forcing tech to do 3:1 on nights they are working. As the health care system is doing what ever the hell its doing, the sleep techs are getting screwed. The wage/ hr MAY go up, but the hours will be cut, right now in my area the techs are lucky to get a full pay check.

If your gung ho about sleep like I was, I definitely recommend adding to it. Im going to start my bachelors in Neuro-diagnostic and Sleep Science in the fall, so that I have a fighting chance when the whole sleep field goes to crap.


Why do you say the whole sleep field is going to crap?

That scares the crap outta me since I am one year into my 2 year degree in sleep tech.!!!
truckerdave1970
Member
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:19 am
Location: Rochester, NY

Postby IsntMentToLast » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:41 am

truckerdave1970 wrote:
IsntMentToLast wrote:I am new here but I figured ill give you my two sense because im going through the same thing.

Im about to graduate in May, and around here there is nothing, job listing wise. Many of the labs around here don't have enough patients to be open the 6 nights a week they are supposed to. They are also forcing tech to do 3:1 on nights they are working. As the health care system is doing what ever the hell its doing, the sleep techs are getting screwed. The wage/ hr MAY go up, but the hours will be cut, right now in my area the techs are lucky to get a full pay check.

If your gung ho about sleep like I was, I definitely recommend adding to it. Im going to start my bachelors in Neuro-diagnostic and Sleep Science in the fall, so that I have a fighting chance when the whole sleep field goes to crap.


Yea its not making me feel good either trust me. Im about to graduate, just finished all of my required clinical experience for school and EVERY sing tech I worked with has said (for my area) that if they could find another job they would.

For example one lab each tech had 3 personal days every year and then would accrue more every pay period for so many hours worked. worked out usually to about 3 weeks a year. Sleep lab management company change policies so nw no personal days, only 2 holidays a year and tech are only working half the amount of hours, plus doing 3:1 ratio.

Plus keep in mind that Poly instructors seem to have thought of grandure when preaching to student how much they should make. My instructor told us that we would be making over $20 an hr, real life tech says youd be lucky if you got $16.

Like I said it was my two cents. either way I think students should be aware of what they are getting into before the last couple of months. Hell im on the fence now about the bachalor's degree I might need to look into Respiratory Therapy or EEG tech in addition to sleep.

Why do you say the whole sleep field is going to crap?

That scares the crap outta me since I am one year into my 2 year degree in sleep tech.!!!
IsntMentToLast
Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:13 am
Location: north carolina

Next

Return to Salary Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron