No BS. Current Market value in NE PA

Moderator: labman2

No BS. Current Market value in NE PA

Postby Onesight1 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:37 am

With every employer trying to pay as little as possible

and every tech unware of what fair compensation really is... What can a bilingual RPSGT/RST with 6 years, capable of preforming all required diagnostic tests with therapy interventions, expect in pay?

What is the range? low side, high side?

everyone please try to be honest, e-stats distort reality. I've been with a company for 6 years and as you know, you tend to fall behind in comparison to new hires due to market value/inflation.

What else can I do to acquire a reasonable estimate? call some labs? - would they even bother?
Onesight1

Re: No BS. Current Market value in NE PA

Postby Onesight1 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:45 am

The duties required in current lab are:

-scoring on fly, 2 patients a night. (variety of studies, ASV, AVAPS, PAP, etc etc )
-Pediatric (NOT 1:1.... its still 2:1)
-clean rooms
-laundry
-file charts, mark payments, etc

^ what is that reasonably worth ?
Onesight1

Postby somnonaut » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:10 am

What ages are peds at 2:1?
somnonaut

Postby Onesight1 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:53 pm

Well, we only have one pediatric room, but what I meant by 2:1, I implied a standard study... PSG,PAP,ASV, whatever plus a PED.

2 patients a night- no matter what (unless cancellation obviously)

i score, and finalize reports and clean and file and etc etc

lab is poor, but this is ridiculous that we are hiring new techs for more based on current market value than when I was hired. I have exceptional pull, I just don't like utilizing it for obvious reasons.
Onesight1

Postby Onesight1 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:55 pm

somnonaut wrote:What ages are peds at 2:1?

Youngest I've done is 18 months
Onesight1

Postby Dcrazy » Wed May 11, 2016 2:08 am

I know in Ohio, which is almost one of the worst economic states, seriously cities in ohio have #1 in capital murder. However, last year when I was offered an internship, the doc closed the door( I assume so his office workers couldn't hear ), he said techs make between 18-21 an hour( this was starting ). My friend was a tech, got registered after getting her degree In English. She only lasted 5 years, which probably only 2 were as a registered tech. She made, $22.00 an hr I believe. She later in 2012, spent one year taking pre-reqs...just graduated as a Physician Assistant this month. I shoot her messages every now and then, and you can tell from dialect, some aspects of sleep were ok, others were not( just a vibe I got ). Long story short, I would say $21-23 is standard where I live. Hospital settings more job viability. As more doctors( Again I am not a sleep tech, a patient that has a degree in science and was interested in the field ) are referring to hospitals, I overheard this while waiting for my sleep doc. I lost out on the internship to sit for my sleep boards, health fell off a little( had a hormone reaction to a medication ), and the internship was off the table, the doc hired someone for clerical. However, my internship seemed political, like idk if this makes sense...but It SEEMED the other workers did not want me to intern bc My focus was on the certification, not just to be a tech with no credentials....but it was weird. Kind as if I become a tech, I would somehow take their job or something, which I would have just did the internship and continued my education. So on that note, there seems to be some nit picky issues and up and comers. However, I would say $21-23 an hour. I can tell you this, my friend who just become a PA...I can remember her posting on social media about people canceling etc....she had an on call thing going on, it just seemed she knew the field was ok, but wanted to move on, and she did. So, that's the environment, from observation in my area. When I got my sleep test done there were me and someone else, so it was 2 people. I asked one of the techs questions( of course for alternative reasons ), but it seemed two beds to 1 was standard. So for Northeast PA, if your talking philadelphia???? I would assume a little more money, as where I live salaries are 10% below national average across the board in all health fields. When looking up median averages in my are, it is 48,000 a year in salary, which is almost in the numbers I gave you, $21-23 an hour, so the median salary reports were fairly accurate, a tad high. I would minus 10% on salary reports. However, know the area you work in. Philly should have higher pay, slightly. I hope this helps. I cam on here from time to time.
Dcrazy

Return to Salary Issues