How worth it is a AS for a RPSGT?

Moderator: labman2

How worth it is a AS for a RPSGT?

Postby zack » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:54 pm

Another tech at work tells me that she hears that if a RPSGT gets themself an AS in Respitory Therapy it will open doors for pretty nice jump in pay. Is this true? I'm only a couple months into the trade myself and am pretty sure polysomnography is for me, and I have also always been very fond of MONEY :twisted: . LOL. Any insight on this or any other information on the more lucrative courses of direction in the feild, please share :D
zack

Postby lori » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:27 pm

Hi Zack...I see you live in Flint. I work for Baker College in Auburn Hills and I am relatively certain that our Flint campus will be offering a Polysomonography program. Not sure when it is scheduled to start. I have been surveying local hospitals on salaries for R.T.s and I can tell you from what I am seeing sleep therapists earn $2.00 - $4.00 less per hour but that is for Respiratory Therapists who choose sleep over working in the hospital. I can't tell you how much difference there is for OJTs versus AAS degreed respiratory therapists. Respiratory Therapy programs are typically about 2.5 years some are closer to 3 depending on the school you choose. In your area talk to Dave Panlau at Mott C. C. He is a terrific guy - good therapist lots of experience and he should be able to give you information on cost/benefit relationship for your future. Good luck...lots of opportunities to keep you from getting bored in the Respiratory Therapy world.
lori

lori

Postby somnonaut » Sun May 01, 2005 3:37 am

Just wondering why you chose "Sleep therapist" and not tech or polysomnographer as some call it?

Claude
somnonaut

Return to Salary Issues