Reroute Would you be an OT or a Nurse?

Moderator: labman2

Reroute Would you be an OT or a Nurse?

Postby Dcrazy » Fri May 06, 2016 2:45 am

Hey folks and other nocturnal creatures,

I posted awhile back about sleep, getting into the field. All I needed was 521 clinical hours to sit for the exam. Long story short, I had a bad reaction to hormones( pharmacist screwed up a medication and there was a distributor change with the prescription ). The point of this post is not to talk about my crappy 2015-2016 campaign....However, I did find a doctor who was thrilled to let me intern and also do research as a sleep tech( so I could sit for my registry ). However, that went into the dumps...as when everything went wrong, I didn't take the Doc on the offer, but didn't reject it. When I went back months later, I made the mistake of relaying a message through the office staff( being, I got the feeling they didn't want one of their patient's getting registered in sleep at their job location---it was just a hunch because anytime the doc talked about " Interning", he shut the door in the room. ) So, when I went back, someone was hired for clerical, and I looked a mess, dropped 20lbs of muscle. Offer was gone....

Well, a school for nursing( ADN ) opened up with evening and weekend program. Since I have a lot of non nursing classes knocked out, Med term, A&P, physics, etc...Baring any transfer problems, it looks like all I would have to do is take just nursing classes. That means 1 day a week in class, and 1 day 7 A.M- 2 p.m on Saturdays for clinicals. 1 day class, plus 1 day of clinical. Time = 2 years. Cons: I already have an associates degree. Pros: I sleep like shet, AKA go to bed late( sleep cycle...look up delayed onset disorder- I have that, in fact, doctor wanted to put me on Belsomra, kinda to make me narcolepsy- ish. So the Pro is just sucking up one clinical a week. Maybe you guys have thoughts on that.

Other options: Well I am only 10 classes away from a Bachelors in Health Information( RHIA Exam ready upon completion ). Of course the only thing missing is the HIM courses...same thing with nursing, I have all the other classes besides HIM. However, I would only get this degree to set me up for...OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY. With OT( occupational therapy ), I would have to attend in a neighboring state, fly in for my clinicals once a month( 3 days ), and then do the rest online. Total time= 3 years, plus the additional 1 year for the undergrad finish. This would give me a Masters.

So on one hand I have Nursing as outlined, if I went that route, it would only take 1 more year for my BSN( Bachelor's of nursing )...Making that 3 years. Then there are accelerated 1-2 year Masters in Nursing( not nurse practitioner ), clinical public health, information systems etc. Rendering a total time of 4-5 years for a MSN.

Then you have OT. As outlined with Health information most likely the undergrad. It sucked bc I thought I could take sleep to another level and make it better and run studies and do good epi studies. However, maybe a partial blessing in the skies. I bring this up bc a lot commented on my post a few years ago, saying other fields might be better( I was nervous about reimbursements, HST, etc ).

If you had to reroute your career, or were stating new.....would you choose OT or Nursing?
Dcrazy

Re: Reroute Would you be an OT or a Nurse?

Postby RPSGT2000something » Fri May 06, 2016 11:54 am

If I could go back in time I'd go for my nursing degree. Look at any hospital career website and there's tons of openings and the job security would be great. Good luck with your decision.
RPSGT2000something

Re: Reroute Would you be an OT or a Nurse?

Postby Dcrazy » Sat May 07, 2016 8:18 pm

Thanks for the reply. Yeah Nursing has a lot of job openings, my only thing is I would be going back for an associates degree when I already have another associates degree- I have enough credits where I am in between a Associates and Bachelors. The associate nurse degree would be 1 day of class, and 1 day of clinical( baring science classes transfer, if not then 1 more year )....Until you get into your final semester.

- Then getting a BSN from there is 1 year online. So 3 years for a BSN( 2 for Associates and 1 for Bachelors ). Then add 1 or 2 years for a MSN( 4-5 years ).

HIM
- To get a degree in HIM I would only need 10 classes, so 1 year. However, I would pursue a masters after( sitting in a cubical is not my preference, but I see HIM is a solid undergrad degree ). My Masters as of now, in this route, would be OT( Occupational Therapy ). So that's 1 year for B.S in Health Information, and 3 years for OT Masters= 4 years. Of course for the OT I would have to fly into town for 3-4 days every month for 3 years.

- I have zero experience as a sleep tech, but with my previous college work, I got cleared I would only need 541 clinical hours to sit for the Sleep Registry...but it looks like my intern opportunity got shot.

I see OT from salary.com make good money. A physical therapist once told me go OT, they get promoted quicker I guess. IDK.

Thanks for your input.
Dcrazy

Return to Salary Issues