What do temp agencies charge labs for temp staffing?

Moderator: labman2

What do temp agencies charge labs for temp staffing?

Postby Bobzzz » Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:34 pm

I've been looking into picking up some extra shifts at places but didn't want to go through a temp agency so they could take their cut. I've heard that the total fee paid to the agency can be well over $60 or $70/hour, plus room& board & transportation. Just would like some idea before I talk to labs.

Oh I almost forgot. Happy 4th of July to all!
Bobzzz

Postby NYsleepyhead » Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:18 am

I've heard of folks getting 15% above the going rate for per diem work. Is that what you are thinking of??? Some places offer you nothing more than the regular rate but I suppose this all depends on the desperation level.
NYsleepyhead

Postby Bobzzz » Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:37 pm

Yes, thanks. It also would help if I was better in salary negotiating. I know labs and hospitals try to get people for the least amount possible. But if a person wants a non-benefitted position there naturally should be a higher compensation level. Or is is just nurses who get that?
Bobzzz

Postby Mandy » Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:21 pm

No, it's not just nurses who find prn positions. Many respiratory therapists are hired that way too and they do get compensated since they don't receive benefits. I work in a hospital that would snatch up a decent prn RT in a heartbeat because they've been forced to use temporary agencies many times.

For awhile I worked prn in another sleep center. It paid very well, about $10 more than my current base pay was. But like NYsleepyhead mentioned, it all depends on how much they need help.
Mandy
Friend of binarysleep

Return to Salary Issues