coordinator salary

Moderator: labman2

coordinator salary

Postby benzzzz » Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:03 am

I am in a strange situation. I am working with a cardiology group to start a sleep lab. I am going to be a consultant before opening, then director/coordinator after that. My problem is they are asking me what I should be paid. I know, I know, a good problem to have, but want to be fair to them and me. I am not working in that area so I don't have a good idea what the going rate is there. My doc did check around at one hospital based lab and the prn rpsgt's top out at $25 while the fulltimers make about $21. How much difference do you think should be between the techs and the coordinator in wages, and should there be a difference in my consulting rate and coordinator rate? :?
benzzzz

Postby SCNVsleep » Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:18 pm

I have actually had this position for two labs (and am negotiating a thrid). I get $2000 per month as a consultant until the lab is up and running. The lab I work for full-time then pays me a salary. Depending on your experience, location and duties, you can probably ask for somewhere in the $40-$50,000 a year range to start.

Good luck!
SCNVsleep

STS

Postby zleeper » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:42 am

We have to Stop Thinking Small
Can you say equity position?
So lets see you are responsible for...
everything and you are supposed to just outfit them with a multi-million /year facility and not think you should be entitled to a piece of the the rock? Come on, we need to start thinking outside the employee box. It is us who chart the course for these places, there are more of them than there are us us, so that makes us a rare commodity, therefore the law of supply and demand should enter into our mental processes at some point. Ask in writing for a bonus of at least the charge of 1 (highest PSG probably, 95811) per week. Not the average reimbursement, but the charge they are asking as they also get the writeoff for any unpaid non-HMO difference between charge and payment. You can slide it as an incentive model, so that the percentage of attendance by patients is played into. If you are only pulling 75% then you get 75% of the fee.
Don't be scared to ask for what we really are worth.
zleeper

Postby Bobzzz » Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:52 am

zleeper, you rock!

Those are my thoughts exactly on compensation. Why should I go through all the hassles and frustrations of managing and directing a lab for a mere employee's salary? Sleep labs are absolute cash cows We are the ones who are generating this revenue. Why shouldn't we be the ones sharing in the fruits of our labors? Because we have no MD or DO behind our name?

I'd say a fair compensation level would be a percentage of revenues for the year, with a bonus based on revenues as well. We own this field. We just don't know it yet.
Bobzzz

Bonuses(sp?)

Postby RayMeece » Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:31 am

Or is it Boni?

Anyway, our office manager gets a bonus for her work. She gets 1% of what bonus the docs get every quarter. I dont know how the docs bonuses(theres that word again) are calculated, but her bonus comes to around $1500 per quarter. Not too shabby. I dont get no bonus! Go for all you can get. It really doesn't hurt to ask/negotiate!
RayMeece

Postby bob » Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:15 pm

Absolutely get a piece of the ownership of at all possible. If not then start looking for another opportunity. I don't know where you are but it is far from impossible to get with some ENT doc's etc. and set up your own operation and make the big $$$ since you are the heart and soul of the operation. They may make a big deal that they are the ones with themoney but money is available from many sources - knowhow and skill and experience are not.
bob

Postby Richard Kassell » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:20 am

I just went through this. I set up the lab and all it entails. did the 60 work week salaried at 18hr. After passing boards I was offered another position at a much higher rate of pay. The Docs were that ready to negotiate with me. I got 50 k A year and 45% of the revenue after bills per quarter.And I should have gone higher. Docs do have other evenue streams and we do make having a lab possible.It is time for every-one to think bigger!!! :D
Richard Kassell

Postby RPSGT88 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:51 am

Hilton Head. Any openings down there? Its my kind of place. I can do everything and then some.
RPSGT88

Return to Salary Issues