Hospital based vs free-standing labs (benefits)

Moderator: labman2

Hospital based vs free-standing labs (benefits)

Postby Mandy » Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:44 pm

Many years ago, I was advised by another tech to never work for a free-standing sleep lab. I was told that the pay is usually less and the benefits (insurance, vacation, 401K, etc...) are often worse. Any comments :?:
Mandy
Friend of binarysleep

Postby eric » Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:05 pm

Hi Mandy,

:) Well that other tech was partially correct. I used to work for a free-standing lab in large metropolitan area and the pay was excellent. In fact it was much better than the hospital based labs, but the downfall was that the health insurance was outrageously exspensive for family plans ($800-$900/mo.). The other benefits like profit sharing, vacation, holiday pay were better than the hospital based labs. The reason the health insurance for the family plan was so exspensive was because the company only had about about 60 employees. One side note, this free-standing lab had to remain competative because there are number of large sleep labs in that metropolitan area which could easily explain the high pay.
eric

Perks of the freestanding lab

Postby Rahkit » Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:34 pm

I work for a freestanding lab owned by a hospital. We are seperate and allowed much more autonomy here. So fortunately we get all those hospital perks, but none of the inhouse headaches. Although we do tend to be forgotten sometimes out here :cry:
Rahkit

Postby Showmesleep » Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:25 am

I agree with eric...I think all in all, you'll have the same income wherever you are. You might make more $$ in a freestanding lab, but benefits will likely cost more vs making less $$ with cheaper benefits at a hospital. I do like the autonomy of a private lab...not as many politics as in a hospital.
Showmesleep

Postby sleeptester » Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:34 pm

Showmesleep wrote:I agree with eric...I think all in all, you'll have the same income wherever you are. You might make more $$ in a freestanding lab, but benefits will likely cost more vs making less $$ with cheaper benefits at a hospital. I do like the autonomy of a private lab...not as many politics as in a hospital.

Exactly my thoughts as well. I guess it depends on the person. Autonomy happens to be important to me, so I prefer free-standing. Medical insurance is always an issue with a smaller operation.
sleeptester

Postby RayMeece » Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:58 am

I have moved from a large hospital, to a small hospital, to free-standing. My pay improved with each move, even though I stayed as a simple tech. However, now in the freestanding lab, though the pay is great, and they pay MY medical insurance, medical insurance on my family is outrageous. At the hospitals, it was, like $100 a month. Now it would be $400 a month. Needless to say, we dont have medical coverage now.

But the retirement is better here, and the time off is better, too. And of course no politics to deal with either!
RayMeece

Postby fanofcart » Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:49 am

RayMeece wrote:I have moved from a large hospital, to a small hospital, to free-standing. My pay improved with each move, even though I stayed as a simple tech. However, now in the freestanding lab, though the pay is great, and they pay MY medical insurance, medical insurance on my family is outrageous. At the hospitals, it was, like $100 a month. Now it would be $400 a month. Needless to say, we dont have medical coverage now.

But the retirement is better here, and the time off is better, too. And of course no politics to deal with either!

It is no small detail that you have no medical insurance on yourself and on your family. An unexpected medical illness affecting any one of you can financially devestate you for years.
fanofcart

Postby RayMeece » Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:38 am

It is no small detail that you have no medical insurance on yourself and on your family. An unexpected medical illness affecting any one of you can financially devestate you for years.

I know, but that is just a chance we have elected to take. Our family is very healthy, and has been. And we don't run to the doctor everytime we feel bad, either. But I do have insurance on me - it is provided by my employer. We'll just take our chances.[/quote]
RayMeece

Postby fanofcart » Thu Dec 25, 2003 12:06 pm

Ray, I really do appreciate your honesty.

Accepting this will negatively impacts your family and the profession.
fanofcart

Insurance

Postby crmcpsgt1 » Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:07 pm

Ray, there are some self-pay insurance plans out there. It works like the medical reimbursement accounts at the hospital. You pay a premium. Submit a pre-claim and they send you the full amount for the service. I have a girlfriend who owns her own company and she is insured this way. She says it works great. She pays about $100/mo for herself. For family coverage it runs about $150./mo. Probably depends some on # of people and ages but....

you and check it out at christian brotherhood newsletter. There is also one with BC/BS that works similar.
crmcpsgt1

Postby TexasSleepguy » Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:34 pm

I had offers to go to free standing labs in my area. These labs were lower pay than the hospital and all employees are contract labor. 100$ a night always 2 patients. (if one cancells they have stand by call list for a 2nd pt.)
60$ to score the studies. No benifits at all. The Hospital Lab that I just left was 20+ an hour regardless if your patients came in or not. health Ins and 401K were important to me and continue to be. I am over 40 with 2 in college so I need the money and the benifits. It comes down to individual needs.
I am in a great position now with double time weekend pay and time and a half after 8 hours each day. My work load increased 500% but its worth it to me. Ins and 401K and holiday and vacation packages.

Maybe we should work with the APT to set up some sort of benifits package labs can purchase or individuals can purchase so that we do not have those free standing labs that are under insured.
TexasSleepguy

Postby Keith » Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:44 am

I have worked at two freestanding labs. The better of the two hired both contact techs and salaried techs. Contract nights were paid $140 for one patient, $210 for two (non-registered techs) Registered techs were paid $170 for one patient, $240 for two. Ten hour nights on average. Salaried techs were paid their base salary for four nights and were paid contract wages for additional nights worked.
Keith

Postby bob » Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:22 pm

We are often asked to work overtime. At our hospital we receive 180% of base pay for the first two hours of overtime and 240% per hour thereafter up to a maximum of 200 hours per year (beyond that most depts. find creative ways of cheating!). Sound great? The Catch - the highest tax rates in the industialized (probably in the non-industrialized too!) world - usually 70-80% on overtime pay. Most people just take it in extra time off instead - and then the hospital has to hire temps from very expensive agencies to fill for all the people on leave and then that causes a budget shortage etc. etc. etc.......... So much for Socialized Medicine!!!!
bob

free standing - hospital based

Postby pootchka » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:17 pm

I work at a 2 bed hospital run, free-standing lab. I love the autonomy with all the perks of working in the hospital i.e. insurance, vacation, retirement, etc. One question though, this is New England!!!! When both patients cancel tests due to weather, does anyone get paid out there????

I am a 1 year tech at this time, I do not score and there is only 1 day secretary and another tech.
pootchka

no patients due to weather

Postby domino512 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:17 pm

I know most places do not work this way, but as a manager, my position has been as follows:

It is the employee's responsibility to show up to work. It is the employer's responsibility to provide work to do for th employee.
So if all patients cancel or no-show, so long as the employee shows up, they get paid. They should either find something productive to do or call me for an assignment. If nothing else, they can clean out and organize closets, drawers, cabinets, hook-up carts.
If the tech does not wish to come in (due to weather or other reason), they must use vacation time, personal time, etc or take no pay for the shift.

That is how I treat full time techs. By hiring them as full time, I feel I have made a commitment to them to provide them with full time work. My per diem techs do not have that guarantee and must go home if there are no patients for them. I make this clear during the interview.
domino512

Next

Return to Salary Issues