Hospital based vs free-standing labs (benefits)

Moderator: labman2

Postby carlycrb » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:15 am

That is very noble of you. I wish our clinic could do that. We are a free standing facility. I normally make b/n 4-10 hours of overtime that I wish could be used as comp time, but it is too much for my boss to have to deal w/, so I normally take it as overtime, which I can't complain about. We do have OUR health insurance paid for, but we had to go for the higher deductibles. My daughter had a seizure last year which amazingly cost the amount of our deductible, which we were stuck with. My husband has now gotten better insurance to carry the kids, Thank God, but I am still on mine. Anyway, like everyone has said, we get paid well, but we have to take our vacation all at the same time, they close the clinic for the two weeks we are off. We also don't have any personal time or sick time, b/c we shouldn't be out. If we need a day off we are supposed to work it out amonsgt each other to make sure the shifts are covered.
carlycrb

Postby Dreamweaver » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:59 am

I've worked nothing but free standing labs and as for pay.. my first lab trained me so they didn't pay very well but benefits were great the lab I work at now pays great but the benefits are not as good. I guess as the saying goes you can't have your cake and eat it too...
Dreamweaver

Previous

Return to Salary Issues