NEW LAB, NEED INCOME INFO

Moderator: labman2

Postby Ripvanwinkle » Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:44 am

I have been offered a position to start-up a lab in the Virgin Islands. This is a brand new operation, should I go for salary, pay-per-study (data acquisition ony) or hourly?

Thanks.
Ripvanwinkle

Postby sleepadmin » Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:53 am

What is the position? Director, scoring tech, collecting tech? Would you be doing everything? Are they paying for any other costs (food, housing, transportation, etc)?

If you are expected to do everything, I'd think you would want to get a lump sum payment on a contractural basis. Make sure you put a limit on how many studies (max per week) you will do.
sleepadmin
Admin

Postby Ripvanwinkle » Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:07 am

Data Acquisition, 2 studies/night 4 nites/wk. Either contract (I'm paying for everything -no free housing, etc) or hourly wage. Cost of living here is HIGH!
Ripvanwinkle

Postby sleepadmin » Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:44 am

Hmm... :-k

First you said "start up a lab" then stated you would only be "acquiring studies." If you have never started a lab, their is a huge ammount of work that needs to go into getting a lab up and running. I only asked because your reimbursement should be more if you are running/creating the operation.

Anywhow... figure out what a similar position in your city would fetch. Then go here and plug in that salary for an idea of what you should get in the Virgin Islands. I used a 40K salary compared between Austin Texas and the Virgin Islands, and it spit out 57K. So yes, it appears the cost of living is somewhat higher :D

BTW, that sounds like an awesome gig if you can get a nice salary :P
sleepadmin
Admin

Oh No...

Postby somnonaut » Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:31 am

I think he/she should stay in their present position and tell his prospective employer to post their request here. :D :wink:
somnonaut

Income?

Postby Ripvanwinkle » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:44 am

By "start-up" a lab I mean it is a brand new venture. Equipment has been purchased & installed. No studies have been done, there is a waiting list of pts, no one has even considered how the logistics of scheduling will be performed or who will be responsible for that, no one has decided who/when the paperwork will be completed (history, sleep questionaire, etc) so I have little idea of what all the duties & responsibilities will be.

I do know that we now have one bed set-up & ready to roll, plans for another bed within a month, as well as waiting for a new building to be constructed where space for a 4-bed lab has been reserved, completion date 6-12 months. All studies now go to Puerto Rico, this will be the first sleep lab in the USVI.

I do know also that there are needs for other polysomnographers, in the near future so we can run 6-7 nites/week with 1-2 beds & the same when the move is made to 4 beds.

VI may seem like Paradise from a distance or during a week vacation BUT living here is a whole different story.
Ripvanwinkle

Re: Income?

Postby sleepadmin » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:10 am

Ripvanwinkle wrote: VI may seem like Paradise from a distance or during a week vacation BUT living here is a whole different story.

Well, please keep us posted as to the availability of another position, as I'm sure a few of us might be up for the challenging 75 degree weather, shockingly clear water, and exotic surroundings. :wink:
sleepadmin
Admin

Re: Income?

Postby Ripvanwinkle » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:10 pm

[quote="sleepadmin"] Well, please keep us posted as to the availability of another position, as I'm sure a few of us might be up for the challenging 75 degree weather, shockingly clear water, and exotic surroundings. :wink: [/quote]

Sure will. I'm on St Thomas, been here since December 11, 2003. Came here to do a 13 wk respiratory assignment. First week of January I was talking to a woman who was setting up for an EEG in the ICU & noticed she had RPSGT & RRT embroidered on her labcoat so I asked her if the hospital had plans to open a sleep lab, she said no but a doctor had plans to do so. I told her I have 4 ys sleep experience (as well as being an RT for 20 ys, RRT since 1987) so she passed the info to the doc who looked me up the next day & my travel assignment was completed 10 days ago, we did a dry run using my son as the patient yesterday, everything went well & we are ready to roll.

St Thomas is 13 miles long & 3 miles at its widest. It is a rock that, with its small size has a peak elevation of around 1800 ft, many roads here have 60 degree inclines with hairpin turns -one after another- and a 5 mile commute takes 20-30 minutes, maximum speed limit is 35 mph outside of Charlotte Amalie (the city) & 20 mph in town. It has beautiful beaches, avg temp is 78 year round, sunshine & nice breeze are the overwhelming norm...except dduring hurricane season from July-November.
Ripvanwinkle

Postby Showmesleep » Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:13 am

Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! Pick Me, Pick Me!
Showmesleep

Return to Salary Issues