Statistics

Moderator: labman2

Statistics

Postby Ripvanwinkle » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:18 am

What are the currnet stats re,

a) the percentage of a given polulation that will be symptomatic of sleep disorder(s)?

b) what percentage of a given polpulation will benefit from a sleep study?

c) what percentage of a given polpulation that have sleep studies will benefit from tx (of ANY KIND)?

I hate small towns because once you've seen the cannon in the park there's nothing else to do.
_________________________Lenny Bruce
Ripvanwinkle

Postby sleepguy » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:23 pm

You should get ahold of the latest data from Terry Young's group in Madison using the Wisconsin Cohort Study for OSA prevalence along with Terry Weaver's data from the Clevland study. Terry's data shows that SDB (RDI > 5) of ~25% males and 10% females and symptomatic SDB (RDI> 5 and EDS) of around 4% males and 2% females. BUT the odds ratio of developing hypertension with even unsymptomatic RDI's of 5 or less go up to 1.5 (don't quote me, the paper is a few years old and I don't have a copy with me). Weaver's data shows a 5 year incidence rate of new OSA at ~15%.

RLS and PLMS data is harder for me to get at, since they normally don't require PSG's to Dx or Tx.

As for overall benifit from any type of treatment:
I'll be doing a poster at APSS in June on a small (n=9) study of how fast alertness levels change once CPAP is applied to unselected OSA patients. We did baseline PVTs for 3 days before PSG and for 10 days after CPAP use began at home. In 8 of 9 patients average PVT scores dropped to levels of a control group after just one night of CPAP and stayed at those levels for the duration of the study.

In another study we're doing, we're giving the SF36v2 to all new patients and repeating it after 6 months of Tx. This is for OSA, insomnia, RLS, etc. Our first patients have taken their 6 month SF36v2 and the results are pretty striking. We're seeing improvements in all subscales and the composite physical and mental scores. So far the improvements are statistically valid with p values in the 0.01 range. We should have a good set of 400-500 patients by next years APSS.
sleepguy

Stats

Postby Ripvanwinkle » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:54 pm

Very good info. I'm impressed.
Ripvanwinkle

Postby TwinSmoke » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:50 am

From my research, less than 50% of any population have sleep disorders and even less are willing to admit it and have a sleep study. So make sure you check out the population to lab ratio wherever you are starting a lab or currently have a lab established.
TwinSmoke

Return to Salary Issues