Fair Pay Rate, and help on advancement

Moderator: labman2

Postby SleepGod » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:56 pm

AASM says 2/1 is the standard but that 3/1 is exceptable
SleepGod

Postby respbarb » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:57 pm

Please, all of the rants and the ranters make our profession look bad.
Anti-respiratory and anti-nonRT remarks reflect badly on the people saying them. Do you ever see MD's ranting about each other like that in public? No, they keep those things to themselves because they understand professional behavior. ( Not to mention slander and libel)
At any rate, I have never met a RT whom thought they could do polysomnography by virtue of their RT training, however, it IS a good place to start.
And I'm sure you will all agree that 4 days of training does not constitute good training. That part is a little scary.
Fetus, there are good books for you to get, good websites for you to go to, and learn. Please do your patients a favor and do that. They deserve it.
respbarb

Postby RayMeece » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:13 am

$12.00 an hour is good money to me. It depends on your location, I am sure. I started at 7.50, and was raised to $9.00 when registered!

Of course that was 7 years ago or so. BUt everything that has been said is good advice. Listen to what you read here. These people know their stuff(well, most of em anyway) LOL :lol:
RayMeece

Postby RayMeece » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:44 am

I didnt mention that I have worked at the 3 to 1 ratio, making afore-said $9.00 per hour. It sucks, to say the least. And it will cause burn-out VERY FAST! Pass that on to your boss, along with the AASM standard. Maybe that will change them. Geez, with 3 pts a night, they can afford to hire another tech!
RayMeece

Postby Showmesleep » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:27 am

Oh my god! Ray's avitar morphed into some huge incredible hulk-like rodent! He seems distressed, too!
Showmesleep

Postby SCNVsleep » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:36 pm

Showmesleep wrote:Oh my god! Ray's avitar morphed into some huge incredible hulk-like rodent! He seems distressed, too!

Mebbe he fergot to take his meds... :mrgreen:
SCNVsleep

Postby Mandy » Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:33 pm

It looks to me like he just ate some rotten cheese and needs a bottle of Tums. :lol:
Mandy
Friend of binarysleep

Postby RayMeece » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:00 am

har har har LOL

You guys kill me! I just got tired of seeing that mouse jumping all over the screen. Don't read too much into it :?

I am one of those people who changes my computer wallpaper weekly, and changes the colors, like, every other week. I just don't like seeing the same thing all the time, I guess. Especially when I have control over what is there.

Okay, OKay, I have issues.... :oops: :P
RayMeece

Postby SCNVsleep » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:40 pm

Like I said...fergot to take yer meds....
SCNVsleep

Avitar

Postby Val » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:15 pm

Origianaly Posted by Ray

I'd say, you went from happy and jumping for joy to worried looking and scratching your belly. <tease> :wink: Does Ray have a tummy ache? Maybe he's getting an ulcer. Is there a doctor in the house??? :lol:
Val

Postby RayMeece » Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:39 am

He does look a little "blue" doesn't he?

I guess I need to go back to my jumping self....

I really didnt know it meant that much to all of yall.... sniff, sniff. I am touched.
RayMeece

Postby keal » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:35 pm

Gee, I'm a respiratory therapist that got OJT as a student...loved sleep medicine and decided to stay after graduating. Been here 4 yrs and just took the exam this past saturday. Is this frowned upon by the sleep community? :lol:
keal

Postby starrynite » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:53 pm

i have a BA in an unrelated field, background in direct care and then pt. advocacy and then started in sleep a year and a half ago with very little training. did my homework (mostly on my own and continue to do so) and just took the boards. im afraid i would be tarred, feathered and burned by most of the people here! i figure you have to start somewhere. most of the info i have came from my own eagerness to learn and advance. my advocacy background definately helps keep myself and the pts. from being sorely taken advantage of. but this is definately a field that could use more standardization especially when it comes to training technicians. i was glad to hear fetus' story, it made my own situation feel not so alone, thats unfortunate but true. i got alot of information from this site and fortunately have a friend who is a doc. but my hats off to the people who started this site :D , thank you.
starrynite

Postby banzaifidora » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:20 pm

ok folks, i think we need to get a little bit of a grip here. all this person wants a little bit of help. and the person complaining about spelling never read anything written by a doctor have they? many years of respiratory and i still cant read that stuff. also, the person who said its bad to and RT in sleep must not have a clue. if the pt codes what do you do? call 911 then stand there until they get there? of course, because they dont have any training in life saving techniques. and RT can recognize weather or not the pt is having life threatening arhythmias or not. most sleep techs cant. go look at the wanted postings. just about everyone is looking for RT's. not just RT's but RRT's. its all going that way folks. and if you dont think it is, look at what happend a few years ago in NY. unliscenced respiratory techs had one year to get CRT. if they didnt pass they were out. no more job. i would not count my chickens if i were you if your not at least CRT in sleep.
banzaifidora

Postby blink5times » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:21 pm

Why I agree completely. Why banza has just revived a thread that has been dead for 6 months!!!! :lol: My respiratory training helps me think in my feen and adapt quickly to changing situations. I just wish I knew what those squiggly lines at the top of the screen were for.
blink5times

PreviousNext

Return to Salary Issues