home scoring

Moderator: labman2

home scoring

Postby nitesquall » Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:48 pm

Does anyone score studies from their home? How did you get started? :?:
nitesquall

on home scoring

Postby Rahkit » Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:27 pm

i dont do home scoring yet. but the people who trained me originally to do sleep do. and i am going to be doing work for them after the fall. in their home. its my understanding you need a dedicated computer for each of the sleep systems you intend to read. since the software is so complicated you ar unable to use that computer for much else other than rading sleep studies. so there is theinitial cost of a new well developed computer, then of course there is the cost of the software from each of the sleep systems. they all vary in price as i have researched, but on average cost about 5 thousand a piece. so if you are looking to build your own in home biz for reading slep studies, my advice to you is what i am donng now. getting to know all the sleep docs in my area well enough they trust me and are confident in my ability. develop a base network of friends in each of the labs in your area, not forgetting the ones that are nt close to you. sincee most of your job will be sending your finished studies back via mail. so your initial cost is not too bad. a small buisness loan should cover it. but doing the leg work before hand and letting doctors and lab managers know of your intentions is the hardest and most time comsuming part. :wink:
Rahkit

Re: on home scoring

Postby sleepadmin » Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:17 pm

Rahkit wrote: its my understanding you need a dedicated computer for each of the sleep systems you intend to read. since the software is so complicated you ar unable to use that computer for much else other than rading sleep studies. so there is theinitial cost of a new well developed computer, then of ...

I would have to disagree...

I don't have experience on every system out there, but I currently have Alice and Somnologica on my PC with no issues. If I had the time and resources, I'm fairly sure I could put more on here. Now some systems work on Unix.... and that could be run on a single system if you had dual boot or had a nice Linux/Unix emulator.
:wink:

(If anyone want's it.. I have a Linux OS you can run off of CD!).
sleepadmin
Admin

Postby SCNVsleep » Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:59 am

I'm with admin here...I work with a doc who reads for about 5 labs and all 5 use diff systems, Compumedics, Sandman, Alice, Cadwell and Grass.

He uses a Dell system with Windows XP...straight out of the box...no major OS changes or upgrades...
SCNVsleep

misinformed

Postby Rahkit » Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:59 pm

Thanks for the tip. I guess I have been misinformed. Thanks for clearing that up. :lol:
Rahkit

Postby nitesquall » Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:01 pm

I didn't think anyone would ever reply...... :lol:
nitesquall

Postby Mandy » Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:04 am

Here's an interesting article for those of you who haven't read it yet. Although it doesn't exactly refer to home scoring, it relates to this topic.

http://www.aptweb.org/pdf/Outsourcing.pdf
Mandy
Friend of binarysleep

Postby Rahkit » Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:45 pm

Thank you Mandy for the link to that article. Was very informative and sort of inspiring :D The future holds big things for our proffession. I am just glad after all those years in Respiratory Care, this opportunity presented itself. And the good lord gave me enough sense to open the door :wink:
Rahkit

Postby NYsleepyhead » Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:34 pm

for you home scorers out there, how are you transmitting your data and reports? snail-mail or e-mail or ??? and how has hippa affected your practice with its encryption requirements? i am very curious as to how secure your home PC has to be in order to have patient info stored there
NYsleepyhead

Postby sleepadmin » Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:12 pm

Our company uses a custom built encrypted system to transmit the data between tech s and doctors. We don't use couriers at all!

Look in the next ADVANCE Magazine (Resp. Managers edition I believe) I wrote an article about outsourcing for them.
sleepadmin
Admin

Postby fdosleep » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:59 pm

What about issues of finding work and costs of upgrades in software. Possibility of software/hardware conflicts exist but are probably low.
fdosleep

Postby ncsleep » Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:08 pm

What is the going rate for scoring a sleep study at home? Is there anything written abouut this to use when negotiating a deal?

Thanks,
ncsleep
ncsleep

Postby sleepadmin » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:32 pm

Here's another article on outsourcing.

Just released
Last edited by sleepadmin on Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
sleepadmin
Admin

Postby efs276 » Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:44 pm

Deja slowwave sleep. :D We were just talking about this in our lab about 2 hrs ago (just before punchout time).

Isn't there a NY sleeplab that is setup for it's tech's to home score - PRN [with RpSGT credentials] and after Sleep MD's certify their scoring quality ? I thought I read it in Sleep Review an issue or two ago ?
efs276

Postby SCNVsleep » Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:32 pm

sleepadmin wrote:Here's another article on outsourcing.

Just released

Niiiceee....look at you bein' all published and junk :D
SCNVsleep

Next

Return to Salary Issues