RAISE WITH RPSGT

Moderator: labman2

RAISE WITH RPSGT

Postby STACEY » Fri May 22, 2009 2:13 pm

After being in sleep for 11 years, I took the RPSGT exam and passed. I was just wondering, did very many get a raise. Our dept. Neurodiagnostis/Sleep Lab is all on the same pay scale. I do EEG's and ENG's along with sleep. We are not an accreditated sleep lab yet, working on this. Just trying to get a feel for other labs/techs. I really have not decided on how to approach this topic with Supervisor/Managers. Thanks for your input.
STACEY

Postby respbarb » Fri May 22, 2009 6:21 pm

If you already possess a credential such as REEGT then you probably won't get a raise.
For us, If you obtain a credential that is in the next pay grade...bingo you get a raise!

So here RRT=RN=RPSGT=REEGT
respbarb

Postby endymion » Fri May 22, 2009 6:50 pm

It all depends on how your facility's salary scale is set up. For example, at our facility you get a certain number of "points" for various things like attending academic training programs, earning credentials, etc. And in our system, sleep training and credentials count separately from non-sleep ones. But it is also true that if you are already at the top of scale, it's possible a new credential won't earn you anything additional.

Bottom line is, you would just need to ask your own facility how their scale is set up, and work within that structure.
endymion

Postby seekthetruth » Fri May 22, 2009 6:51 pm

IMO, you should get a raise, you just got another credintial that is going to help the lab out. Now, should it be significant, maybe not, but you should get something.
seekthetruth

Postby KySleepTech » Sat May 23, 2009 4:24 am

I got a $2/hr raise when I passed.
KySleepTech

Postby goudasleep » Sat May 23, 2009 6:27 am

Everyone I've ever known that passed got a raise. I understand Respbarb's scenario. But I'd bet 90% get a raise with the credential.
goudasleep

Postby hlrobbir » Sat May 23, 2009 8:03 am

I did not receive a raise. I was told that technicians are now required to take AND pass the exam. No reward for doing so, even though I am paid way below other RPSGT's in our lab...not to mention that raises were given prior to me passing my boards. Frustrating, yes...but what are you going to do?
hlrobbir

Postby MrBig » Sat May 23, 2009 9:25 am

Of course you should get a raise. Regardless of if you have any other credentials. This is sleep and now you have THE sleep credential.
MrBig

Postby seekthetruth » Sat May 23, 2009 10:40 am

If money is more of an issue to you than where you are currently working, and you live in an area with inter-lab compitition, Start looking around to see what the current market is in your area. Not getting a raise because techs are now required to get the credential is a huge cop out. You should get a huge atta boy/girl for passing the exam. If you are already in a top tier in pay salary, then you should be comped in some other way, ie extra PTO per year, choice of schuedule...somthing that will satisfy you for putting in the time and effort it took you to pass this...UNREQUIRED, $350 exam with a high failure rate, that strengthens your lab technically and professionally.

Ok, I am off my soap box now, sorry for the rant, and please excuse spelling, it's 4:37 am and I have been dealing with a fussy toddler all night.
seekthetruth

Postby STACEY » Sat May 23, 2009 7:06 pm

MrBig wrote:Of course you should get a raise. Regardless of if you have any other credentials. This is sleep and now you have THE sleep credential.

Very well put. THE sleep credentials.
STACEY

Reality hits hard

Postby stage0 » Wed May 27, 2009 9:26 am

Well. Stacy It is an employer market now. I have friends that only received an atta-boy (or girl)...not even a reinbursment for expenses. It is a lousy situation. But I agree with ev1 else, in that a passing of the test is an automatic raise. Two years ago I received a 2 buc an hour raise; but no reinbursement.
stage0

Postby Sleepsgood » Wed May 27, 2009 9:29 am

I have a wicked employer who not only covered the cost of my exam, but covered my gas,hotel room,parking fees in addition to a $3 an hour raise.
Sleepsgood

Postby Terry Gallagher » Wed May 27, 2009 9:35 am

My employer paid for me to go to Atlanta School of Sleep Medicine for their 8 day course (awesome, by the way). They paid for me to go there again for the 2 day exam prep course. They gave me a $2.00 raise. They didn't, however, pay for the exam or any costs associated with. Seemed kind of strange, since they paid for everything else. Very happy with what they did pay for.
Terry Gallagher

Postby sleep4maia » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:24 am

I think you should get a raise. I also always say "If you don't ask the answer is always no". Make yourself needed. Do the best job you can do. Go the extra mile, Be a team player and with your new RPSGT your sure to get a raise.

GOODLUCK... :)
Think positive and know YOU ARE WORTH IT. If you don't believe it no one else will.
sleep4maia

Postby mybelle20 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:15 am

I recieved a $7 per hour raise from one job and a $8.00 per hour raise my other job
mybelle20

Next

Return to Salary Issues