RAISE WITH RPSGT

Moderator: labman2

Postby Mdhall_23 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:32 am

STACEY wrote:Wow. what a raise. It makes me believe you were on the low end of the pay scale or... you are FABULOUS and really appreciated. Great job.

I did ask my Manager and she said that nobody in the hospital gets a raise for a change in their credentials. Well, at least I tried and I am looking at all options. Thanks to everyone on their feedback so far!!!
Mdhall_23

Postby Mdhall_23 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:51 am

Mdhall_23 wrote:
STACEY wrote:Wow. what a raise. It makes me believe you were on the low end of the pay scale or... you are FABULOUS and really appreciated. Great job.

I did ask my Manager and she said that nobody in the hospital gets a raise for a change in their credentials. Well, at least I tried and I am looking at all options. Thanks to everyone on their feedback so far!!!

That's pretty sad, in New Mexico an RPSGT could start at $25.00 and still get the night diff. you need to find a new place to work
Mdhall_23

Postby Mdhall_23 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:56 am

Stacy,

In most places you could quit and then re-apply and make more. They just don't want to give you want you earned. That makes our pay scale go lower and lower. And these sleep labs want us to see more patient 3:1 so they make more money
Mdhall_23

Do I Get A Pay Increase???

Postby angiebennett » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:41 pm

Ok everyone, I know this question has been asked, asked, asked, and asked again. It has also been answered, answered, and answered again. I am asking to get a direct answer or I should say replay for myself. I am a RPSGT, registered since 06/2009, almost a year. I been working in the sleep ,industry, world, life, in/or medicine (however you phrase it in your world) for almost seven (7) years. I have been working with my current estabishment (hospital) for almost a year (April 20 will be a year). I started out as a PRN staff member and advanced to fulltime (only after they realized they had to have a fulltime RPSGT to get accreditation). The hospital now has accreditation. Anyway, they are asking me to take on the responsibility of scoring. I have no problem with taking on responsibility, so long as I receive the pay. The hospital is telling me it is part of the Sleep Technician job discriptions. The hospital did not give me a raise when I passed the BRPT exam. I do all the scheduling (office coordinator), assist the sleep doctor with follow-up clinic, work as a Tech two nights a week and I fill in when the other Tech is sick (only a two bed Lab), and now they want me to score for the same pay ($23 an hour). I am stress and streched out at this hospital. I just need to know if I should ask for a raise and how much. I know it is a plus to have benefits but aren't I being taken for a long ride. I am their only registered Tech. How much should they be paying me? How much if I take on scoring? All advice will be greatly appreciated. I know it depends on area (location), I am in the South (Mississippi) we only have somewhere around a 106-110 or so registered Tech in the whole state.
angiebennett

Re: Do I Get A Pay Increase???

Postby Sleepy in the South » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:42 am

angiebennett wrote:Ok everyone, I know this question has been asked, asked, asked, and asked again. It has also been answered, answered, and answered again. I am asking to get a direct answer or I should say replay for myself. I am a RPSGT, registered since 06/2009, almost a year. I been working in the sleep ,industry, world, life, in/or medicine (however you phrase it in your world) for almost seven (7) years. I have been working with my current estabishment (hospital) for almost a year (April 20 will be a year). I started out as a PRN staff member and advanced to fulltime (only after they realized they had to have a fulltime RPSGT to get accreditation). The hospital now has accreditation. Anyway, they are asking me to take on the responsibility of scoring. I have no problem with taking on responsibility, so long as I receive the pay. The hospital is telling me it is part of the Sleep Technician job discriptions. The hospital did not give me a raise when I passed the BRPT exam. I do all the scheduling (office coordinator), assist the sleep doctor with follow-up clinic, work as a Tech two nights a week and I fill in when the other Tech is sick (only a two bed Lab), and now they want me to score for the same pay ($23 an hour). I am stress and streched out at this hospital. I just need to know if I should ask for a raise and how much. I know it is a plus to have benefits but aren't I being taken for a long ride. I am their only registered Tech. How much should they be paying me? How much if I take on scoring? All advice will be greatly appreciated. I know it depends on area (location), I am in the South (Mississippi) we only have somewhere around a 106-110 or so registered Tech in the whole state.

Well, I think (imo) that you use too much () in your words (sentences). It just seems weird (strange). But yes(agreed) that scoring is part of you job but they (management) should eliminate some of your other duties (work). Maybe not so much with the clinic or have someone else do scheduling and you can consentrate on scoring. It should not be an addition onto your current duties.

Tell them what you propose. Each exam should be about two hours to score, some longer some faster.
Sleepy in the South

Postby CPAP'em » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:14 am

I initially got a $1.50 raise at a company in AZ. I then moved to MN where I got a $4.50 raise. I am fortunate and grateful to be making the kind of money I am getting for being in sleep medicine for a little over 3.5 years.
CPAP'em

My first post

Postby SATXTECH » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:30 am

I am quickly noticing that I am very low on the pay scale. I will have completed 4 yrs with the same company in the next month, or so. I am not registered. Have a couple more ASTEP modules left. Travel to our 9 locactions around the city. Take 3 patients a night, private lab/public lab(hospitals). I make roughly 13.50 now. When I approached my supervisor(owner/clinical director) Was told I would get a raise to 16.00 when I pass my board. So I would have about 5yrs exp, and RPSGT cert. this time next yr. Wish I was above 20 like most of yall. Sorry about the frustrated rant.
SATXTECH

Pay scale

Postby somnogator » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:19 pm

Even by our low pay state standards(Florida), you sound way low and way overworked/underappreciated.
I would particularly be concerned about steadily doing 3 pts per night. This lowers your labs' standards/chances of accreditation.
(Are you one third less accountable if something goes wrong?)
Interviewing for other positions might be a nice wake-up call for the boss.
Bueno suarte and God Bless (He's sure blessed me).
somnogator

Postby maramara » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:28 pm

At the hospital where I work, you don't get a raise for passing the exam.. but when your annual review comes around, you can jump through some hoops that allow you to move up a "level," as in level 1 tech to level 2 tech. Hoops that involve a verbal presentation and pretty large amounts of volunteer time that you technically get paid for. And with that comes more money.. but maybe a 5% raise, maybe a dollar more in a year. However, we get an education budget which could cover some BRPT related expenses.

And you can move from level 2 to 3 with 2 credentials and 3 to 4 with 3 credentials, so this is still applicable to you. And with the same raise schedule.

Can't say anyone I've talked to is happy about the situation, but since you asked, it's what they did...
Last edited by maramara on Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maramara

Postby SassyToez » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:59 am

Maramara, do you happen to work for Duke? :wink:
SassyToez

Postby maramara » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:26 pm

If you're going to name names, I'll change my wording.
maramara

Postby RPSGT88athome » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:30 pm

Oh you guys be nice!

Let's not name names.

However its certainly not MY LAB!!!

RPSGT88
RPSGT88athome

Postby skeepy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:51 am

I did not receive a raise when I got my RPSGT credential last year. I do not work in a hospital so I do not get shift diff, and with nearly 5 years experience I'm at a flat rate of $16/hr working in a lab in Texas. I also have a Bachelors degree under my belt and I'm seriously thinking about approaching the boss about a reasonable salary increase because I believe I am being paid way under the market rate for my credentials and experience. I really really love where I'm working at, but I'd like to receive a reasonable increase in pay for what I believe I'm worth. Now I just have to muster up the courage and ask the boss for a face-to-face meeting soon. :P
skeepy

Postby somnonaut » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:53 am

Have something else lined up as proof of your value. If you cannot find something then it is time to be quiet.
somnonaut

Previous

Return to Salary Issues