Just scoring

Moderator: labman2

Just scoring

Postby BreathPlease » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:08 pm

HI,

A new lab wants me to come in and do only scoring. They want to pay me per test scored. Would someone give me some ideas about how much I
should be paid per test??

BreathPlease

Postby SCNVsleep » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:53 pm

Depending upon experience, registration, local economy...between 65 and 100 bucks per.
SCNVsleep

just scoring

Postby sweetdreams1973 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:24 am

I was just offered alot less than that to score studies at home on a laptop. They are providing the laptop and allowing me to score at home to get caught up on studies. Our lab is a Free standing facility and I am a day shift employee that scores and does day studies. I work 40 hours a week and scoring at home would be on the weekends only. I am a RPSGT and just want to know what a good price per study would be if I am able to do it at home above my normal 40 hour week. HELP ME! What is a reasonable offer per study? Thanks!
:D :D
sweetdreams1973

YEA

Postby BreathPlease » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:37 pm

Yea :lol: , I would love to score at home!! I have small children and would like your setup. I wish I could do that and never have to go to the lab. I wouldnt have a clue how much to ask, though. I'm just hoping the lab that asked me to just score for them will provide me with a laptop.
BreathPlease

Home scoring

Postby Sleepless » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:19 pm

It really depends on how much scoring at home you want to do. Charging $40-50 per study averages out to $20-25 an hour. A lot of labs consider this resonable (they would pay a good full-time scorer similar to this). Actually that's a bargin because they don't have to pay you benifits, If you go this route, you may end up with 4-5 studies a week consistantly. Charging $75-100 per study may yield you 4-5 studies every once and a while.
Sleepless

It also means

Postby zleeper » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:33 pm

are you looking to suck off a teet of sleep, or are you looking to help fill a gap in personnel?
zleeper

just scoring

Postby sweetdreams1973 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:51 pm

Thanks for your input..... I am already a full-time employee (40 hours)and the laptop will not be mine to keep....only to take home on weekends. They do not want to pay me overtime so instead they are offering me to do some scoring at home so we can get caught up. We just moved into a new facility of 10 beds. I like the idea of doing it at home however I think the amount they are offering is low. $25 per study. I get paid almost that much per hour.But no gas wasted to and from (30 miles each way). split What do you think? IS this a bad deal or what? I like to look at it as a way to help out our growing lab and also make some money. I realize they would have to pay someone else a considerable amount more if they were contracted and did not already work for the lab. Any advice from my fellow RPSGT's? Any suggestions? Thanks so much!!! :D :D
Last edited by sweetdreams1973 on Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sweetdreams1973

Re: just scoring

Postby Mandy » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:15 am

sweetdreams1973 wrote:I guess on average I can score 2 studies per hour if they aren't bad OSA patients. Some studies take like 1.5 hours.

You can score 2 studies per hour on average? :shock: Wow, care to share your secret? I've been scoring records for about 9 years now and I would say 1.5 hours per study is average for me.

If the lab you're working for thinks that you can score that fast, perhaps that's why you were only offered $25/study :?: If I were ever offered a scoring job on the side like in your situation, I think I would figure 2 hours of OT per study. So if you're making $20/hr say, that would be $30/hr x 2 hours for $60 per study.

I've heard of some labs sending their records out to be scored by another lab and they were charged as much as $200 per study!
Mandy
Friend of binarysleep

2 studies / hr ???

Postby slope » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:56 pm

2 studies/hr??? What kind of scoring is that? It raises a LOT of questions to me!!! I wouldn't like to be the tech whose study gets scored by you or the pt whose study you score. Not would I actually like to be the scorer who counter-scores that study for interreliability issues or the MD who interprets such a study. It's profoundly unprofessional and irresponsible.
slope

Postby sleepadmin » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:43 pm

Chill out slope. Their is no accepted definition for "scoring" (in the field of sleep medicine). One person might consider it validating a computer scored study, another might not include the report generation time. I'm not raising these issues for debate, but merely the notion that what is considered "scoring" varies greatly across the world.
sleepadmin
Admin

Postby slope » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:53 pm

Yet, sleepadmin, by VERY few people's standards would a study scored in 30 minutes be accurate and reliable! ( and we talk about a study that has no less than 720 epochs since lights out).
slope

Postby SCNVsleep » Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:28 pm

I've scored thousands of studies. (not trying to sound pompous...just have).

I can count on one hand the ones that only took me 1/2 hour. It CAN happen....but not consistently.
SCNVsleep

Postby Bobzzz » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:45 am

What I would like to know is how do you get scoring jobs like that? I've talked to labs with serious backlogs but the docs won't farm anything out. I've met techs who've just seemed to fall into it so I must be looking in the wrong places.
Bobzzz

Postby endymion » Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:38 pm

Those "scoring only" jobs are probably partly luck (just being in the right place at the right time.) But where I've worked, it's also personal reputation / skill / accuracy / efficiency.

Two labs where I've worked have given "scoring only" jobs to a few techs. These jobs went exclusively to former employees of the lab who had impressed their supervisors enough to land these type of positions. (It really is a big plus to already know the lab's specific criteria and scoring process, and even particular physicians' preferences!)

A friend of mine, a sleep tech who is a fun, extroverted person who therefore makes a lot of friends, got a job like that via his "personal contacts". In that case, it was simply a case of knowing the right people!
endymion

Can't this topic...

Postby somnonaut » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:26 am

be merged with the outsourcing topic? They seem to be heading to the same point in space/time, the scoring of sleep studies, but from the two different vantage points.
Very interesting to see these develop together. ANd then someone drops the bombshell of the OT pay being taken away courtest of, well you know who, don't you?
And coupled together with the PSG vs. Ambulatory studies CMS issue, and it
sounds like the fire is getting a boatload of dry firewood.
This should be good.
somnonaut

Return to Salary Issues