Pay for scoring sleep techs

Moderator: labman2

Pay for scoring sleep techs

Postby sleep123 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:42 pm

We're working out the details of remote scoring in our lab. I'm interested to find out how other techs/labs are handling pay. Are you paying per record or per hour and what rate? Our lab is in the Northeast.
sleep123

Postby somnonaut » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:23 pm

2 hrs no matter the length or complexity.
somnonaut

Postby Polysom.com » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:21 am

I get paid a flat rate per record for the labs I remotely score for.
Polysom.com

Postby sleep123 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:45 pm

I'm wondering whay our HR dept stance will be. I worked elsewhere any HR had some concerns regarding "piece work".

I now find myself in the position of setting up a remote scoring program for a large university based sleep lab. Has anyone done this? What, if any, issues did you encounter?

cheers
sleep123

Postby Polysom.com » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:18 am

The biggest problem that some hospital based systems have is allowing someone remote access. They take network security very seriously, and rightfully so. One hospital I work with wont even allow its docs to remote access their systems. If they want to do anything they have to come in to do it. I would imagine the university would be a little more relaxed, or more able, to provide secure remote access.

Outside of that, it should be pretty much the same as any other lab. What system are ya'll running? Some of them have software that can handle a lot of the data management very well. I personally was impressed with the Embla Enterprise system.
Polysom.com

Postby Sleepy in the South » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:57 am

You should be paid by each test.

Some rates I seen by outsourcing places are ....
$30 score test
$100 score test and print reports
$175 score test, print reports and MD inter.

It's just a ball park figure.
Sleepy in the South

Postby o0rangeo » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:55 am

I want to score on my day off. Can someone let me in on where I can go to score studies from my home and get paid? :lol:
o0rangeo

Postby Polysom.com » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:10 am

o0rangeo wrote:I want to score on my day off. Can someone let me in on where I can go to score studies from my home and get paid? :lol:

If only it were this easy...of course then it wouldnt pay very well.

My best advice to you is to start to develop relationships with MDs that are boarded in sleep. Then after a few years of them seeing you regularly they may trust you enough to let you score.
Polysom.com

Postby Gizmo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:29 am

I think Orange was joking and knows how difficult it is for most of us techs (even experienced RPSGT's) to land a scoring at home position. Perhaps it was the :lol: that makes me think this ... :wink:
Gizmo

Pay Rate

Postby angiebennett » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:39 pm

Ok everyone, I know this question has been asked, asked, asked, and asked again. It has also been answered, answered, and answered again. I am asking to get a direct answer or I should say replay for myself. I am a RPSGT, registered since 06/2009, almost a year. I been working in the sleep ,industry, world, life, in/or medicine (however you phrase it in your world) for almost seven (7) years. I have been working with my current estabishment (hospital) for almost a year (April 20 will be a year). I started out as a PRN staff member and advanced to fulltime (only after they realized they had to have a fulltime RPSGT to get accreditation). The hospital now has accreditation. Anyway, they are asking me to take on the responsibility of scoring. I have no problem with taking on responsibility, so long as I receive the pay. The hospital is telling me it is part of the Sleep Technician job discriptions. The hospital did not give me a raise when I passed the BRPT exam. I do all the scheduling (office coordinator), assist the sleep doctor with follow-up clinic, work as a Tech two nights a week and I fill in when the other Tech is sick (only a two bed Lab), and now they want me to score for the same pay ($23 an hour). I am stress and streched out at this hospital. I just need to know if I should ask for a raise and how much. I know it is a plus to have benefits but aren't I being taken for a long ride. I am their only registered Tech. How much should they be paying me? How much if I take on scoring? All advice will be greatly appreciated. I know it depends on area (location), I am in the South (Mississippi) we only have somewhere around a 106-110 or so registered Tech in the whole state.
angiebennett

Postby tiredjohnny1 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:45 pm

Angie,

The average pay according to salary.com and indeed.com for an RPSGT in southern Mississippi is between $20-22. If you are making $23 per hour you are earning an above-average salary. If you are now being asked to do scoring, which is a normal job duty of a registered tech, you still are being paid above the average. It never hurts to ask for a raise based upon taking on more job duties so give it a try. But realize that have been paid more than a scorer's salary for the past year without having to actually score.
tiredjohnny1

Pay

Postby goudasleep » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:13 am

Oh Angie, it could be worse. Wait till they put you on salary, and act like you got a raise, and expect you to work days and nights and weekends, and you do the math and realize you're making about $19...
goudasleep

Postby Polysom.com » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:29 pm

While I would not use it as my only argument, according to the Sleep Review survey in Oct 2009 you are grossly underpaid already.

http://www.sleepreviewmag.com/issues/ar ... -10_02.asp
Polysom.com

Re: Pay for scoring sleep techs

Postby tony.daniels57 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:56 pm

sleep123 wrote:We're working out the details of remote scoring in our lab. I'm interested to find out how other techs/labs are handling pay. Are you paying per record or per hour and what rate? Our lab is in the Northeast.
[list=]
bbbbbbbbbb
[/list]
tony.daniels57

Postby scoutem » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:26 am

Angie while I have heard we are spoiled up in the NW there are two Labs that have added scoring to Night Techs. Not just RPSGT all but they both lost their night dif and got a plain $3.50 an hour raise. I dont know where the other Tech worked that said it is your job??? But that has been a job of a Score Tech, Day Tech or outsource scorer. As long as I have been in the field (only 6 years). Otherwise what would be the point of these positions or how would a outsource company survive? "If it was a Tech Job to score plus run studies at night"? This seems to be the new trend I agree, there are arguements on both sides for it. But i have yet to see it added w/no $$ at all. I mean they can do anything if there is no union etc.. Labs have figured out that dayTechs dont really "make them $$" just cost them. But by having Night Techs score they save an entire day Techs salary by cutting them out. So there usually is and would be a compromise on a increase in pay. Just my 2 cents
scoutem

Next

Return to Salary Issues