cpap store salary question... anyone?

Moderator: labman2

Postby Rocklandish » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:33 pm

RPSGT88athome wrote:that's like walking into a women's spa and remarking on how obese they all are. Damn dude.

RPSGT88

I am not the one assuming that all the women in the spa are obese.

Amykr, I have found that with my mouth, name, and physical size that it is just better to be prepared.
Rocklandish

Postby MrBig » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:48 pm

What the deuce is a CPAP store?
MrBig

Postby Sleepsgood » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:19 am

Sleepsgood

Postby Pleistos_Hypnos » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:03 am

The DME's up here pay 75$-100$ for setups and 17$-22$ for hourly work.
Pleistos_Hypnos

Postby RPSGT88athome » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:22 pm

Right, Rock. actual obesity has nothing to do with it. Its just the one thing none of them want to hear.

RPSGT88
RPSGT88athome

Postby MastaFunk » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:31 pm

I just worked in The Villages FL. I had an offer from a major DME for 18.50/hour + commission to be in their new wave store. For this area that is a high pay rate, with all the retiree's. I am not an RPSGT, I am a Sleep Clinician w/ 3 years of reviewing PSG's and explaining the results, efficacy and compliance. I have a substantial amount of knowledge of the disease process as well as being an extrovert which is necessary, with an additional 2 years exp managing 2 DME locations.

Personally for me, I chose to complete the A-Step which I just concluded with a 98%, now I will focus on the lab-end, I see there being more of a solid future there. Eventually when I excel at Staging/Scoring & other 'technical' aspects, I will return to the days to do MWT's or MSLT's.

Good luck
MastaFunk

Postby Lucid Dreams » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:17 am

MastaFunk wrote: I am not an RPSGT, I am a Sleep Clinician w/ 3 years of reviewing PSG's and explaining the results, efficacy and compliance.

Okay, now that we know what CRT's, RRT's, CPSGT's and RPSGT
s are, what exactly is a "sleep clinician"? Is that just to define someone that works in a lab?
Lucid Dreams

Postby Sleepy in the South » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:29 pm

Lucid Dreams wrote:
MastaFunk wrote: I am not an RPSGT, I am a Sleep Clinician w/ 3 years of reviewing PSG's and explaining the results, efficacy and compliance.

Okay, now that we know what CRT's, RRT's, CPSGT's and RPSGT
s are, what exactly is a "sleep clinician"? Is that just to define someone that works in a lab?

That's what I was thinking. Explaining the results to who? The patient? or is it more research?
Sleepy in the South

Postby RedSoxSleepGuy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:42 pm

in the explanation I read of "sleep clinician" i think that anything technical is not part of that job.....I read it be someone who reads the PSG report to the patient and explains what all those big words mean....I want that job...no more messy paste...no more scoring studies...I bet I could be done by noon....Why is it that people still want to make up their own job titles in sleep.....It makes the field look poor....BUT from now on I will be known as King REM...
RedSoxSleepGuy

Postby MastaFunk » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:31 pm

Um... pretty simple guys, I am a tech that works in a clinic. I do everything for the Dr. From ordering meds, counseling, consults, even displays and direct marketing at local shows/fairs. I was pulled into rooms where she was seeing Pt's to discuss the process w/ the pt. so she could leave, sometimes just to convince them when she couldn't, since I am also a sleep pt. I also ran the compliance reports, scheduled appt's when someone was falling behind on compliance. Here... I'll let Webster explain "clinician" for you.: as distinguished from one specializing in laboratory or research techniques.
And Redsock, w/ that attitude, you probably never will be pal, not too friendly and compassion c understanding is key for ANY daytime/public gig. My Boss (owning Pulmonologist c 5 specialties) coined that and that's where I got it. I managed over 600 sleep Pt's for a really large Multi-Practice (90+ employees). On avg I would review/consult/ over 14 pt.s/day in person, with charting and adding any test (sleep or otherwise) that were necessary/overdue. I also had everyone on a routine f/up schedule with a max f/up of 6mos apart, we had an 87% or so compliance rate, and solo I scheduled over 1/2 million dollars in PSG's last year, not including f/up's. Doubt you could do all that by noon. I also manage to squeeze out around 20 or so PFT's weekly. I completely understand the chemical & disease process of OSA on an intricate level due to over 3 years with my boss, who is also a friend, who has put me under her wing, not to mention tons of education. Most of the non-sleep M.D.'s who would fill in for my Doc, loved me because they didn't have to say anything, just listen, and ALL of my Dr's pt.s trusted and loved me, working with all successful retirees, that's a hard thing to accomplish. Used to get like 50 or so cards at xmass lol.

Red, simply put, I did not make this term up, Google it. And you shouldn't hijack someone Else's thread to try to poke fun at something/someone you don't understand. A pm requesting clarification would have sufficed and I would have been happy to explain/educate.

The only thing I lack is actually doing PSG's, which I am about to start doing now, I expect my RPSGT in 9 mos right after I do the allotted necessary exp. time, which is why i am here.
Hope that clears it up people.
Sorry for the hijack OP.

**edit** after reading that wall of text, I still have not did justice to everything I was responsible for, lets just say EVERYTHING lol.
Last edited by MastaFunk on Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MastaFunk

Postby somnonaut » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:17 pm

Just a question, I had no idea Florida was so open like that. What is your background?
somnonaut

Postby StephenC » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:48 pm

MastaFunk wrote:Um... pretty simple guys, I am a tech that works in a clinic. I do everything for the Dr. From ordering meds, counseling, consults, even displays and direct marketing at local shows/fairs. I was pulled into rooms where she was seeing Pt's to discuss the process w/ the pt. so she could leave, sometimes just to convince them when she couldn't, since I am also a sleep pt. I also ran the compliance reports, scheduled appt's when someone was falling behind on compliance. Here... I'll let Webster explain "clinician" for you.: as distinguished from one specializing in laboratory or research techniques.
And Redsock, w/ that attitude, you probably never will be pal, not too friendly. My Boss (owning Pulmonologist c 5 specialties) coined that and that's where I got it. I managed over 600 sleep Pt's for a really large Multi-Practice (90+ employees). On avg I would review/consult/ over 14 pt.s/day in person, with charting and adding any test (sleep or otherwise) that were necessary/overdue. I also had everyone on a routine f/up schedule with a max f/up of 6mos apart, we had an 87% or so compliance rate, and solo I scheduled over 1/2 million dollars in PSG's last year, not including f/up's. Doubt you could do all that by noon. I also manage to squeeze out around 20 or so PFT's weekly. I completely understand the chemical & disease process of OSA on an intricate level due to over 3 years with my boss, who is also a friend, who has put me under her wing, not to mention tons of education. Most of the non-sleep M.D.'s who would fill in for my Doc, loved me because they didn't have to say anything, just listen, and ALL of my pt.s trusted and loved me, working with all successful retirees, that's a hard thing to accomplish. Used to get like 50 or so cards at xmass lol.

Red, simply put, I did not make this term up, Google it. Don't be a hater, and you shouldn't hijack someone Else's thread to try to poke fun at something/someone you don't understand, in an attempt to feel good about yourself. A pm requesting clarification would have sufficed and I would have been happy to explain/educate. Way to make friends in a professional environment, enjoy the paste there King.

The only thing I lack is actually doing PSG's, which I am about to start doing now, I expect my RPSGT in 9 mos right after I do the allotted necessary exp. time, which is why i am here.
Hope that clears it up people.
Sorry for the hijack OP.

**edit** after reading that wall of text, I still have not did justice to everything I was responsible for, lets just say EVERYTHING lol.

Wow...
StephenC

Postby MastaFunk » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:27 pm

somnonaut wrote:Just a question, I had no idea Florida was so open like that. What is your background?

In this area here are far more shady things happening in the Medical field han most admit.
I have met this guy and its in the same area
http://mobile.dailycommercial.com/101009doctor

10 yrs Sleep/Respiratory. Sleep Tech as stated & CPFT by M.D.. Courses for RT actually start in 3 months.

No matter, everything was done under direct M.D. supervision/review & SignOff/Sealed. We used EHR for all documentation & Rx's, So Sig is a must, JCAHO accredited, M.D. is good at what she does.

("ordering meds" meant inputting and printing what she spat out in the middle of her visit, then after the visit running it to her for sig. It was already enough of a wall lol.)
& Stephen, I was drinking and bored lol & No offense meant to Red, just struck me wrong.
MastaFunk

Postby Sleepy in the South » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:29 am

CPFT by MD? Did your MD certify you?

We have people who work in clinics also, they are called medical assistants. They do pretty much what you described. Our MAs in the neuro lab explains the test to patients, do all paperwork, check insurances, check the number of patients for data collections, schedule follow ups, fax reports to DME's all while checking in every patient with vitals, chief complaint etc. They bust their butts just like you. They make about $20/hr
Sleepy in the South

Postby thesleepwhisperer » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:08 am

Sounds like Mastafunk should have a lllloooonnnnggg list of letters after his name.
thesleepwhisperer

PreviousNext

Return to Salary Issues