Pay range for Los Angeles?

Moderator: labman2

Pay range for Los Angeles?

Postby LadyCandy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:42 am

I'm wondering what a RPSGT can expect to be paid for 4 years experience, including pediatric and MSLT/MWT experience.
Also, how much should one expect to be compensated for relocation benefits if a company hires you and offers it?
LadyCandy

Postby goudasleep » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:52 am

I'm not in LA, but in any metro area, you will find a very broad pay scale. Places where they get away with paying at the low end, because that's their business model, and people that pay considerably more. Plus factor in benefits, if they give you good group insurance that is worth $$, right? Then, is there shift differential, weekend pay? How good is the PTO? And how badly do they want you specifically? I would bet there is a $7-$9 an hour spread between the lowest & the highest. So I'll say $20-$29 an hour.
goudasleep

Postby REMFarmer » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:55 pm

I'd say $25-29 per hour is a range you could probably expect for the experience/skills you mentioned. Benefits are usually not great in my experience so basically a non-factor... :roll:
REMFarmer

Postby Midnight Rider » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:13 pm

20-29 doesn't seem like a whole lot considering it's Los Angeles we're talking about. Not exactly a cheap place to live IIRC.
Midnight Rider

Postby #42dreamweaver » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:20 am

#42dreamweaver

Postby LadyCandy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:31 am

Having interviewed and been offered jobs there...I can confirm that 25-29 is a very accurate number...which does suck for cost of living.

If you sell your soul, and cut some strangers to make it into some of the cheaper 600-800 sq ft studios, you can get one for 800-900 bucks a month. Otherwise the expected rent to pay on a 600-800 sq ft studio apartment is closer to 1100-1200.

Here in NC, 1200 rent can get you a 2000 sq ft brick home in a damn nice neighborhood with a fenced in, good-sized backyard.

Ridiculous cost of living in LA!
LadyCandy

Postby REMFarmer » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:09 pm

I am orignally from Ohio, so I can appreciate the infamous cost of living here in L.A. However, I gotta say that reading up on the pay scales in other states/cities, I'm not sure that wages aren't fairly lateral in value in comparison. I am definitely not an expert, but even if you drop the cost of living significantly, I cannot IMAGINE trying to get by on $10-14/hour with a family. Heck, I even saw somewhere that started out at like $9.50/hr!!

I am definitely not a Los Angelino 'snob', I will always consider myself and Ohio-boy, a die-hard Buckeye.. but that being said, California is definitley a great place to live (at least in Ventura County where I live which is 40 mins north of L.A.). Before moving here, I really just assumed like most everyone else outside of CA, that it was impossible to afford living here. However, sadly I am not so sure its much worse than anywhere else at this point... These salary threads are REALLY eye-opening! :shock:
REMFarmer

Salaries

Postby sandman2000 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:51 am

I've heard that if you work for kaiser, or any other hospital, the pay between 25-30 if u got at least 5-10 years experience. Good health and dental benefits as well, but who can comfirm that?
sandman2000

Postby somnonaut » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:12 am

The sooner we can disconnect the Healthcare related "benefits" from a job prospect the sooner we will be able to truly weigh a job offer equally, and rely on the "market" to allow us to ply our trade in exchange for remuneration. The vagaries of provisioning of healthcare insurance has been a driving force keeping workers in control for the employee.
Imagine a world where we did NOT have to rely on our employer for our healthcare insurance. And the recent desire of the Religious employer to say whether or not they will cover this or that aspect of health in their insurance plans only means that single payer will come that much faster.
somnonaut

Return to Salary Issues