RPSGT in NC

Moderator: labman2

Postby somnus diabolus » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:16 am

A New Convert wrote:
somnus diabolus wrote:I know multiple people who have done the END program at Pamlico in NC. They had very limited training in sleep in the school. Luckily, one picked our lab for some clinicals, and learned 10x in a few clinicals than she had the entire time in class. Where as my AAS in Polysomnography at Pitt CC had 3 semesters and a summer devoted strictly to Polysomnography. I also had 300 hours of clinicals required. There is no comparison in training to those two programs.



So whats your excuse?


I make myself LOL :)


If only everyone had the schooling and post school training I had, this field would benefit. Minus a certain tech with 9 years of experiance who makes himself lol that is...
User avatar
somnus diabolus
Senior Member
 
Posts: 480
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: North Carolina

Postby LadyCandy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:20 am

somnus diabolus wrote:
A New Convert wrote:
somnus diabolus wrote:I know multiple people who have done the END program at Pamlico in NC. They had very limited training in sleep in the school. Luckily, one picked our lab for some clinicals, and learned 10x in a few clinicals than she had the entire time in class. Where as my AAS in Polysomnography at Pitt CC had 3 semesters and a summer devoted strictly to Polysomnography. I also had 300 hours of clinicals required. There is no comparison in training to those two programs.



So whats your excuse?


I make myself LOL :)


If only everyone had the schooling and post school training I had, this field would benefit. Minus a certain tech with 9 years of experiance who makes himself lol that is...


*ahem*
Gentlemen, I am the arrogant one around here, knock it off. Neurology riff raff :P
User avatar
LadyCandy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1381
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:13 am
Location: Spartanburg, SC

Postby somnus diabolus » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:23 am

LadyCandy wrote:
somnus diabolus wrote:
A New Convert wrote:
somnus diabolus wrote:I know multiple people who have done the END program at Pamlico in NC. They had very limited training in sleep in the school. Luckily, one picked our lab for some clinicals, and learned 10x in a few clinicals than she had the entire time in class. Where as my AAS in Polysomnography at Pitt CC had 3 semesters and a summer devoted strictly to Polysomnography. I also had 300 hours of clinicals required. There is no comparison in training to those two programs.



So whats your excuse?


I make myself LOL :)


If only everyone had the schooling and post school training I had, this field would benefit. Minus a certain tech with 9 years of experiance who makes himself lol that is...


*ahem*
Gentlemen, I am the arrogant one around here, knock it off. Neurology riff raff :P


I'm not saying I'm a super badass tech. I'm not. I've been blessed to have fantastic people at the lab I work for that have bestowed tons of knowledge on me, and I had a great teacher in my program. In short, I was given every opportunity to be successful as a tech, and am extremely thankful for it.
User avatar
somnus diabolus
Senior Member
 
Posts: 480
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: North Carolina

Postby A New Convert » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:37 am

somnus diabolus wrote:
LadyCandy wrote:
somnus diabolus wrote:
A New Convert wrote:
somnus diabolus wrote:I know multiple people who have done the END program at Pamlico in NC. They had very limited training in sleep in the school. Luckily, one picked our lab for some clinicals, and learned 10x in a few clinicals than she had the entire time in class. Where as my AAS in Polysomnography at Pitt CC had 3 semesters and a summer devoted strictly to Polysomnography. I also had 300 hours of clinicals required. There is no comparison in training to those two programs.



So whats your excuse?


I make myself LOL :)


If only everyone had the schooling and post school training I had, this field would benefit. Minus a certain tech with 9 years of experiance who makes himself lol that is...


*ahem*
Gentlemen, I am the arrogant one around here, knock it off. Neurology riff raff :P


I'm not saying I'm a super badass tech. I'm not. I've been blessed to have fantastic people at the lab I work for that have bestowed tons of knowledge on me, and I had a great teacher in my program. In short, I was given every opportunity to be successful as a tech, and am extremely thankful for it.



I am saying I am a super badass tech.
A New Convert
Member
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:36 am
Location: Raleigh, NC

Postby tiredjohnny1 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:42 am

A New Convert wrote:I am saying I am a super badass tech.


.....seems like I've heard this before..oh yeah http://www.binarysleep.com/phpbb2/viewt ... wesomeness
User avatar
tiredjohnny1
Senior Member
 
Posts: 929
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:58 pm
Location: Florida

Postby Dcrazy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:39 am

Not to create a sub topic out of a topic already created...However, I seen this was old. I stumbled across this on the internet and am new to this site. However, I have my associates degree in science- not applied- I did take nursing AP 1 and 2, medical term, etc with some computer systems. I have been looking at sleep( Polysomnography- Rpgst ) for some time. I am in my 20s....However, as I researched sleep and talked to some, there seems to me, to be alarming concerns I have. I did get accepted for an A.S program for sleep- since I have the sciences, would only need 22 hours- All psg courses.

My concerns. First off is the RST...why? The ASSM mind you couldn't answer any of my q's. I understand the RST might be more pediatric, just saying this b/c it seems AASM is backed by MDs. However, you can be an RPGST and sit for it. Now I understand the BRPT and AASM had problems with the testing, basically, lack of people passing it. So comes the RST.... What concerns me guys and gals, is that AASM sets up the mandatory 1 tech to be an accredited lab right? This helped the BRPT...now it seems a stab in the back. Why would two organizations that's trying to prop up a field- a field that is not highly recognized- and do this?
- Home Sleep Studies- Here is another concern. Look schools are boasting on how sleep is a booming field...however, a former MD with AASM said sleep studies fell 30% and forecasts another 10% in two years, a 2009 article!!! Well here we are 2013, was this MD wrong? Nope....It's backed by medicare. Also, the commercial insurances will follow medicare as well. I personally called a HST center...I asked who does the scoring? Answer: We train people.....who are these " People." Lol.
- Also with computer scoring and all of what I mentioned, where does that leave the registered tech? I mean sure there are roles as an educator, and schools popping up left and right, which could just saturate a field especially with co programs for nursing and Resp. Therapists. However, health education, would just set another student up for health education, then another, like the blind leading the blind. I mean schools will take their money, the exams will get there share, the RPSGT will pay and take the RST- they get their money....see what I am saying..

.Basically what is the future role of techs and salaries? What is AASM, BRPT, all these sleep organizations doing within legislation to make it recognized, say as nursing, or Resp. Therapists, no better comparison, ultrasound? Heck the BLS doesn't even recognize sleep techs, it puts it under medical technologists...If there was better guidelines and legislation, then wouldn't reimbursement follow? Dictating better roles and pay for sleep techs. UNC launched a bachelor's in sleep, great again education. Example, look at occupational therapy....follow me here... OT about 15 years ago was barely recognized. PT dominated big time! Lets step back to 2004..Average salary for OT, not OTA, was around 48,000. Now today you can double that in some cases. Also, highly employed market, and reimbursed..also recognized. 2005, OT went from a Bachelor's- Yes OT was just a B.S..to a Masters. Now talks of a PHd. People who got their B.S. already were grandfathered in. Now RPGST, RST, what foot paths are they taking to further salaries, recognition and better reimbursements?? Yes there is a B.S in sleep...but with what substance behind it..If you don't address the areas I mentioned. Take my example of OT- see the salary increases? See the degree advancement, see the reimbursement, see the recognition.

Look I am not here to bash. I looked into sleep because I normally do not go to bed until 3 A.M. I also have a sociable personality, and while getting an A.S in science, I took my electives in science. However, I am disgruntled to see what I look into, so up in the air. As a former student/athlete who loves helping people, I am puzzled at the direction of sleep techs. I know there is probably neuro techs, RPGSTs, Resp. Therapists, heck maybe even nurses on here. I am not posting to offend, but to understand where the Polysomnography tech is going. I here managed care. Ok, what way...with computer scoring, won't that start to hurt the tech? I mean this is a profession.The hours are rigerous. However, I thought about all my points I made. Also, no I have no neurodiagnostics program in my area. I know IOM can pay.

Another thing is the respiratory care act- state by state, fine. My state, you don't have to be registered, yet it pays RPGSTs about- just talking around $21 an hour, if you have your respiratory cred. about $25. However, the prospects of future employment and hours...????? Again, a prospective student. I ask b/c I cold called a lab, asked for their lab manager. I called him, after talking, he said he would train me in association with the distance learning school, which I was told hard to do. After talking, I mentioned some of my points....he wanted me to be trained by his lead tech personally, not how he trains people in their Senior year of Respiratory school. They don't train with her. Idk what I said or mentioned, it is an accredited lab, but he offered. However, as you can see, a lot of my q's till remain.

Thanks.
Dcrazy
Member
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:54 pm

Postby somnonaut » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am

Since as techs, we only can exist under a physician, each association for techs (AAST, or BRPT) can do nothing except what the physicians order or allow them to do, this means that we of course have to be under the control of physicians. So AASM is not a separate entity, it is the parent entity.
User avatar
somnonaut
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14160
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:03 pm
Location: http://tinyurl.com/righteousdude

Postby #42dreamweaver » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:16 pm

My opinion, stick to nursing. The changes in healthcare the next few years all point to measured outcomes. From what I've read and more importantly what I'm seeing, I think there will be a push to more home based or out of hospital treatments for things that aren't life threatening. Visiting nurse will be a field that will need manpower the next few years. Heck, if that doesn't work, you can always be a case reviewer for the insurance companies and say NO to any kind of authorization.
User avatar
#42dreamweaver
Senior Member
 
Posts: 673
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:37 am

Postby Dcrazy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:59 am

#42dreamweaver wrote:My opinion, stick to nursing. The changes in healthcare the next few years all point to measured outcomes. From what I've read and more importantly what I'm seeing, I think there will be a push to more home based or out of hospital treatments for things that aren't life threatening. Visiting nurse will be a field that will need manpower the next few years. Heck, if that doesn't work, you can always be a case reviewer for the insurance companies and say NO to any kind of authorization.


The problem with that, right now it's 3:40 A.M EST..lol. I am naturally up till usually 3-4 A.M...I can sit through all the science classes I want- in afternoon and do great! However, nursing clinicals are 6 A.M- you can do the math on that one. I actually took an OT class, got a 98%- was easy for me. However, again, clinicals were early. Hence why I took some computers within my degree, Now I know I have a bio science liking because I could have taken geology- easy- instead of Nursing AP 1 and 2 w/ labs. I could have taken anything for free electives, but chose Medical Term, OT, and Physics. It sucks.....My back log story- I almost died twice- had a TIA and blood clot. Was a student athlete, then because of everything went down to 132lbs at 5ft.8. Then, I rebuilt myself to 197. The same work ethic I applied in the gym, translates to my classes, etc- Screwed up, not the most perfect, but gets the job done, or an A or B on the test. That pretty much sums it up..lol. I do have a business mind a little, or else I wouldn't have researched what I did, for a field I am not even in.

Anyway....anyone seeing sleep for RST or RPGST getting better? Salary and employment? It seems the field may be left for dead with just some vets and a few new bodies. However, it would be foolish....see the example I gave for OT. Here is an article that I came across from a few years ago- http://respiratory-care-sleep-medicine. ... ast-3.aspx

Thanks guys- I really think if you take the OT model, they have some elements of PT, Speech Pathology, Psychology, and athletic training. However, they work along side all of them and made a niche. Sleep has elements of other areas to. The pay should be more( my opinion ), also the education w/it- again see OT. Grandfather ppl who are credentialed...just my opinion. Again, in case I lost some lol, anyone see sleep getting better via salary, employment. I can't go off schools figures, most are from 07'...and as I mentioned in my first comment, the BLS doesn't recognize sleep techs right now, they are under just Medical Technicians.
Dcrazy
Member
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:54 pm

Previous

Return to Salary Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron